CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

I also feel the shade structure is bulky and awkward. I prefer the artist's depiction of the structure over the real version. It is unique, but not necessarily visually appealing. Those lights recently added under each "blade of shade" are distractingly bright. I sense this element may not survive a long time in its current form.

Glad to see others agree with my view on the "shade" structure. I spent Thanksgiving on my boat at Lake Hartwell and was in downtown Greenville for a good while Saturday. The shade.....simply not good. It has not turned out with the same aesthetic qualities that were shown in the rendering. It looks bulky and heavy. The worst thing in my opinion though, is that the shade closes in Piazza Bergamo. Now that the piazza is a little more narrow, this shade only adds to the "visual clutter". It does NOTHING to invite people in the piazza, but instead seams to act as this "looming" barrier. Let's hope this thing gets ripped out before the end of 2014.

Who is approving these things at city level again??????? Obviously not the same people that started Greenville on the initial roll.

Wishing taste level would return.........

Glad to see others agree with my view on the "shade" structure. I spent Thanksgiving on my boat at Lake Hartwell and was in downtown Greenville for a good while Saturday. The shade.....simply not good. It has not turned out with the same aesthetic qualities that were shown in the rendering. It looks bulky and heavy. The worst thing in my opinion though, is that the shade closes in Piazza Bergamo. Now that the piazza is a little more narrow, this shade only adds to the "visual clutter". It does NOTHING to invite people in the piazza, but instead seams to act as this "looming" barrier. Let's hope this thing gets ripped out before the end of 2014.

Who is approving these things at city level again??????? Obviously not the same people that started Greenville on the initial roll.

I'm sure the approval was based on the renderings.  After all, what else would they have to go by?  Renderings which impressed even you. 

I haven't seen the plaza too recently so I will withhold comment, but other considerations aside, a reprieve from the full sun will be desireable much of the time.  

I was in town on Saturday also, and tried Tupelo Honey Cafe for the first time (outstanding!).  In the process, I checked out the shade structure at Piazza Bergamo. I first noticed it from the Main Street side, and thought it looked odd crammed in between the existing, taller structures.  I then approached it from the Tupelo Honey/B of A side.  I think it looks better when you are in the plaza itself, but still feels…odd.  I don't exactly dislike it, but I am not wowed by it either.  Maybe it will just take some getting used to.

The retail space along Washington Street next to Brooks Brothers, towards First Presbyterian, seems to have activity going on in it, but I don't see that any tenant has been announced.  Do we know what's going in the space?

It's probably the general access point for movers to unload into that building - and a good guess is CertusBank which is fixing to open in the new headquarters on Friday.

The sunshades at the Piazza Bergamo have been hoisted.  They are still finalizing the construction details -

10776109154_1b4d58c4eb_c.jpg

Wow...that's, er, uh, unique.  I want to like it, but I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it from just seeing the photos.  It just kinda clashes with everything around it.

1381939443-Rendering-of-Aloft-Hotel-whic

I like this one ... kudos to whomever came up with this idea.

null_zps0add4c27.jpg

Whoa...I am not a fan of the lack of grass.  I had hoped there'd still be at least a few more living green things on this plaza to soften it.  It's all way too harsh.

Wow...that's, er, uh, unique.  I want to like it, but I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it from just seeing the photos.  It just kinda clashes with everything around it.

I'm finding that the viewing angle makes a huge difference.  It appears very hard edged when viewed from either end, but when viewed from the Anthropologie side, it's not bad.   I'll get a better feel for it when the construction fence is removed.

I like this one ... kudos to whomever came up with this idea.

Whoa...I am not a fan of the lack of grass.  I had hoped there'd still be at least a few more living green things on this plaza to soften it.  It's all way too harsh.

It's winter time. Everything is kind of gloomy. The tree's will grow and the greenery will evolve in time. Be patient.

Looking at the photos of what Bergamo Square is now, I suddenly recall that just a few SHORT years ago, it was nothing more than a huge concrete slab sided by a virtually abandoned building. It was great for Thursday night beer parties, but not much else.  This current version, even in winter's gloom, makes me far more appreciative of everthing they are doing to the square.  (Being normally grumpy and negative, take that as my version of a compliment.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...