CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

While walking around the renovated plaza, I could not help but notice the lack of any water feature. Fountains were excluded from the design? The plaza looks decent (albeit presumably unfinished), but feels a bit bleak and hard without water or art. Extra creativity is needed to offset the increasingly limited natural light.

I also noticed other people had displaced many of the pebbles that surround the base of each tree. The stones were scattered over the smooth brick pavement, causing an unpleasant distraction while walking.

I was back in Greenville recently and walked through the plaza.  Sadly, I found the same things wrong with it that I find wrong with NOMA.  No water feature, bland, uninspired.   If North Main is wanting to compete with West End / River Place / Peace Center, then it has a long way to go.  Both this plaza and NOMA simply lack energy and vibrance.  :ermm:

IMO, one of the major element is the trellis feature and has yet to be fully installed. It ought to be pretty dramatic. We shall see, but I think it is a bit early to give this a failing grade when it's not even complete. Plus, like others have stated: there will be water.

Edited by GvilleSC

The One plaza is currently unfinished, thus attempting to rate its overall success is a bit premature. My subjective comments were nothing more than initial observations. I am hopeful the additional features will enhance the final product. Flowing/bubbling water will help, if it is audible and visible. Creative art/sculpture would also add warmth and soften the "hardness" of the surrounding urbanscape.

^^  The water feature isn't finished yet.  Based on people presence, NOMA Square is more vibrant than it has ever been, from what I have seen.  It use to be largely deserted, now I see people lingering and staying.  

This is true. I have noticed a lot more people at NOMA Square after the renovation than before. That whole plaza area at the Hyatt feels much more lively and inviting now in my opinion. All of the bright colors from the chairs to to the flowers that were added really make it stand out and make me want to visit. Before I thought it looked too boring and monotone. All of those ugly browns and grays honestly made it feel like I was in a cemetery or something where somebody took all of the joy out of the world. This was especially the case in the Winter time. Oh and notice all of the retailers and restaurants that are making their home there now also. Were they there before? Clearly they must like the renovation too. :good: Can't forget about AAA four diamond ranking which wasn't there before the renovation either. 

Edited by gman430

Windows are being removed from the office space located in the parking garage at Bank of America.

Yeah, demolition of the garage is slated to begin in November with actual construction of the building slated to begin in early 2014 according to media reports. 

Walked through the square last night.  It's pretty awesome with the lighting in there on the wooden benches as well as the concrete formed seating. They are also in the process of putting up the undulating sunshade.  Its going to be a pretty cool space when it's all finished.  Adds some width to main street.

I can't help but think, 10 years from now, we'll all cringe about LED lighting on buildings and think, "That was soooo 2010s."

I don't follow. It doesn't have to be colorful. Using or replacing them as white LED would be similar to the liberty building and poinsett plaza lighting schemes which isn't dated looking IMO. Edited by GvilleSC

I don't follow. It doesn't have to be colorful. Using or replacing them as white LED would be similar to the liberty building and poinsett plaza lighting schemes which isn't dated looking IMO.

Yes...it was the color part of it I was thinking about. Just seems kinda cool / kinda cheesy.

As for the actual LED technology...yes, hopefully, one day everything will be LED.

• 2 weeks later...