CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

The second tower's columns have started as well, including having the rebar up for the support that will be at the corner of Main and Washington. It starts to give you an idea of how much an impact this 11 story building will have on both Main and (mostly) Washington Street.

I noticed that. Someone stated the second tower would not start to rise until later next year but it looks like they will rise together.

I noticed that. Someone stated the second tower would not start to rise until later next year but it looks like they will rise together.

Originally the phase I nine story structure along with the retail base of the phase II eleven story structure were scheduled to start construction at the same time with the rest of the eleven story structure starting construction in mid-2012. This might have changed though due to tenant lease signings. Definitely a good thing if this is indeed the case.

Edited by citylife

• 2 weeks later...

Civitas has submitted to the city's Urban Design Panel an application for a Certificate of Appropriateness describing a "Design for the rehabilitation of the public space known as Piazza Bergamo." The renderings show a very pedestrian-oriented space intended to encourage traffic past the interior Project One retail storefront spaces while providing a casual street cafe feel that one might expect in Greenville's sister city (of which I have firsthand knowledge). My initial reactions are very positive. http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2012/FEBRUARY/DesignReviewBoard/02-02-2012/CA-12-27-PiazzaBergamo.pdf

I'm glad to see that N. Laurens St. (called "Laurens 'Alley'" in the application) from Piazza Bergamo to North St. isn't being overlooked. It is slated for streetscaping, too, and not just left as an alley. Currently the back of Mast General Store and other businesses is somewhat less than attractive and would present quite an eyesore as viewed from a revitalized Piazza Bergamo. Existing roll-off dumpsters will be relocated under the plan.

I love how this is completely different from anything else we have downtown. It's not simply a replication of what we'll be getting at the Peace Center, the Hyatt plaza, or any other public space... Really, the piazza is becoming less of a wide open space and more of a linear pedestrian mall. Yes, the piazza has lost some ground, but it's really the design that sets it up like this. I'm excited based on what we see in the application!

I actually really like the Peace Center's new plaza area and it's not even finished yet. The stone types they chose for it are excellent in my opinion. Much better than the old plaza area that was outdated and boring. Thank goodness they got rid of that car pull in area.

Edited by citylife

I actually really like the Peace Center's new plaza area and it's not even finished yet. The stone types they chose for it are excellent in my opinion. Much better than the old plaza area that was outdated and boring. Thank goodness they got rid of that car pull in area.

I tend to agree. Very thankful that the car drop is gone, and I think the water fountains, once complete, will add a lot to the space.

Is (or has) the Verizon store moving from its current spot? It looks like a restaurant or cafe is in Verizon's spot in the renderings.

Creative license, I suspect. I don't begrudge the Verizon people for being in that space, but it would be a spectacular location for a cafe. The Verizon store won't make nearly as effective use of the space outside its door.

An IMPLAN analysis predicts Project ONE will provide 544 direct, indirect and induced temporary jobs during the construction period, and 672 permanent jobs created and retained during operation. Also, over $6.9 million in federal, state and local tax revenues will be generated annually. More info: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/greenville-new-markets-opportunity-reports-investment-of-over-185-million-using-new-markets-tax-credits-2012-01-17