CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

Equipment still on site today but no activity while I was there.

I know what you're thinking and no it's not on hold. Brasfield and Gorrie is currently surveying the site right now. Saw at least 5-10 of their workers this morning on site when I drove by. Just look for guys wearing hard hats and bright green or orange vests walking around with camera equipment and spray paint. The parking lot behind the Evolve Male building is now closed off and the backhoes are about to get going there. Also, the parking lot between Laurens and Richardson Streets next to Washington Street is now half closed off. I'm guessing this will be the staging area where the construction trailers will go.

Edited by citylife

The last word on Peacock was that a group was looking at buying it and putting apartments there. The close proximity to the city parking garage makes it well suited for that purpose. That was a month or two back. No word since then, but these deals often take a while to shake out.

Edited by vicupstate

I find it very weird that Evolve Male and the other ground floor tenant in that building are still open and operating. Wasn't that suppose to be dangerous if construction started? :yawn: And, I know that blasting and real construction hasn't technically started, BUT they aren't going to be able to move out in one day. I hope they have another location to open in...

And I like your picture, Citylife. I love the Washington Street facades. They're about to be dwarfed. :good:

Ladies and Gentlemen: Your first look at phase II: 1NorthMain.pdfhttp://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2011/NOVEMBER/DesignReviewBoard/11-03-2011/CA-11-210-1NorthMain.pdf

It's definitely not the all glass box that got so many people in a tizzy. I think it's ok, but we'll have to see renderings or the final product to truly get a sense of the building.

Edit: There's another huge trailer parked on the parking lot across N. Laurens Street and major earth moving going on earlier today.

Edited by GvilleSC
  • Like 1

Ladies and Gentlemen: Your first look at phase II: 1NorthMain.pdfhttp://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2011/NOVEMBER/DesignReviewBoard/11-03-2011/CA-11-210-1NorthMain.pdf It's definitely not the all glass box that got so many people in a tizzy. I think it's ok, but we'll have to see renderings or the final product to truly get a sense of the building. Edit: There's another huge trailer parked on the parking lot across N. Laurens Street and major earth moving going on earlier today.

Thanks for posting.

I like the louvered metal at the top. Nice design touch.

Overall, looks solid. As with many new buildings, I think glass color and textures will play an important part. Which brings this up....I scrolled through the entire document and the brick / finishes shown don't excite me. They seem a bit conservative for what is obviously a modern structural design.

How tall is phase II going to be in feet?

The highest horizontal line with a height indicator is at 157'-0". That's to the lowest roof line. The corrugated metal goes higher, and we're probably in the ranger of 170' (or that's my guess).

Edited by GvilleSC

The highest horizontal line with a height indicator is at 157'-0". That's to the lowest roof line. The corrugated metal goes higher, and we're probably in the ranger of 170' (or that's my guess).

Which, from what I can find from various websites (credibility unknown), Bank of America Plaza is 79 meters tall (or roughly 240').

Edited by GvilleSC

Which, from what I can find from various websites (credibility unknown), Bank of America Plaza is 79 meters tall (or roughly 240').

Sorry for quoting myself so many times here...

But, I just looked for the other building (aka North Tower or phase I). It will be 137' at its roofline. But, its elevator tower will rise to close to 175'+. It's a guesstimate based on the highest height-line being at 151', but the roofline extending an additional 30 or so feet...

So, more or less, the two towers will be about 137' and 170'-ish, with a core reaching heights close to 175' between the two towers.

Edit: I hope I calculated all that somewhat correctly. Subtraction was involved since the ground level for tower one and two starts at 100' and 105', respectively. And, it's late.

Edited by GvilleSC

Looks great. :) The phase II building reminds me a lot of the Wachovia (now Wells Fargo) highrise at Atlantic Station in Atlanta: Atlantic_Station_Wachovia.jpg The front of our future building facing Main Street looks a lot like the side of theirs.

Edited by citylife

Looks great. :) The phase II building reminds me a lot of the Wachovia (now Wells Fargo) highrise at Atlantic Station in Atlanta: Atlantic_Station_Wachovia.jpg The front of our future building facing Main Street looks a lot like the side of theirs.

If the new building looks anything like the Wells Fargo, then I'm thrilled. For some reason, I like the Glass-and-Steel look to counter the existing Daniel Building (as it should always be referred to) and the big white concrete monstrosity behind this new (cough) "tower." Architectural purists, gimme a break. Different can be good. (Sorry folks, pure opinion. After years and years of travel, you wonder why Greenville's skyline is so non-descript!)

Dynamite blasting has started. Hopefully the construction company starts doing it by 5am everyday just to piss off Heidi Aiken and Anthony Conway. :D

001-58.jpg

Great photo. So good to see construction underway. One will be a game changer in the same vein as Riverplace was.

Edited by gsupstate