New Titans Stadium (60,000 capacity dome, ground level retail, directly east of Nissan Stadium)

markhollin

20 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I’ve said it before and I say it again. They need us more than we need them. We needn’t let the wealthy owners of an NFL team continue to be major benefactors of Nashville’s taxpayers. Work out a deal that is reasonable for all parties, or let them take their ball and go, if they think that is better for them!

It is very reasonable for taxpayers. The hotel tourists will be paying for city’s portion, plus unused and underutilized parking lots will be developed and metro taxpayers will go from seeing zero real estate and sales tax income to 100% of real estate tax and 50% of sales tax income (it should be stated that some real estate tax income could go for a TIF, but that has not been discussed yet). 

So for those of you opposed to this new stadium, help me understand. Does it boil down to the fact , that there’s a possibility we have to pay a few extra dollars in our taxes? Don’t we already pay for other municipal capital projects ? Somehow ,somewhere aren’t we putting tax dollars into projects like the MCC and Soccer Stadium ? If we eventually have some form of transit, we definitely will need to pay something for that. Yet we all can’t wait for that to happen , like yesterday. But we all know , transit will benefit the city. Well this multi-use stadium will benefit the city also, so what’s the beef if we end up having to put some tax dollars in on it? Everyone keeps trying to put this all on the Titans, and I really think it goes beyond that. It’s more the State and City that wants this and will benefit from doing so. I’m ok if I have to pay a little to help subsidize a city project ( the Titans don’t own this, the city does) if you never paid taxes elsewhere in a major market, you would never know how ridiculously low Nashville’s taxes are compared to cities of this size. Hell, my sister pays 12,650 dollars per year for property taxes on a 1200sq foot home on 1/6 acre in a small Connecticut town a suburb of NYC . 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Glad @donNdonelson2and I are on the same page haha.

We have talked about he East Bank Vision Plan and how the stadium is so integral to that. Imagine a hypothetical scenario where the stadium as a whole goes away because the Titans have left (and Nashville subsequently sues them) and we have a complete carte blanche neighborhood where we don't have to accommodate a massive arena? Those possibilities are so endless.

I go back and forth on that, Craig. I think both Nashville and the Titans are better off for having them in our town.

Anchoring East Bank development around a new enclosed stadium that will draw tourists and locals alike for games, concerts, and Wrestlemania has to have additional draw to developers and investors who will bid on the sports authority's lots around the stadium.

More importantly, the capital projects to put power, sewer, water, etc. on the East Bank is going to be incredibly expensive - and the story that it's related to a brand new world-class stadium (and decades of NFL attendees, concert-going tourists, and wrestling fans) is likely an easier story to sell to lenders or anyone who is affected by an incremental tax district.

I love the idea of a blank slate, and Nashville certainly doesn't NEED a stadium (downtown or otherwise - there are 8+ other MSAs larger than us without an NFL team - shoutout to Portland, Orlando, San Antonio, and even booming Austin). Look at the growth in the Gulch or Midtown - we could have that on the East Bank, no matter what. You're right that we don't NEED them.

But the identity of a stadium district has an appeal to many residents, from football fans, to residents who only think about construction when it blocks their commute, to even some of the commenters on this board.

• Like 2

This thread remains largely a lost cause.  If you really believe that the Titans will find somewhere else to move to, and worse,  that this immense unlikelihood justifies the current version of this deal,  then I don't know what to tell you other than I feel bad for your logic and reasoning skills.  And if you further believe that losing the Titans/NFL, alone,  would make Nashville a "dying city",  then I don't know man, whatever.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

I'm only watching from afar, but keep in mind that folks across the state have a stake in this.  I mention this dome to people around here and Knoxville all the time, and they had no idea about it.  That said, I believe both sides will not let the dome not get built. I think Mendes' letter was a bit overdue, and it would seem he's posturing for a mayoral run. However, I think he lays out some points I wish had been more prominent in the early discussions. Specifically, it troubles me about the numbers for the existing lease and the obligations to Metro.  The $2.1B figure seems to be based on (compared to) very inflated figures with the existing stadium/lease obligations.  I'd like to see someone closer to the figures give us more detail on where those future expenses would come from.  Overall, I still think the question would surround the cost of a "all weather venue"... which I'm not convinced is a dollar-to-dollars comparison.  There appears to be a lack of leadership from the mayor and the sports council, as well as any champion for the dome in the Metro Council.  REgarding the state's power play, I have assumed (perhaps erroneously) that the majority of members in the legislature actually do want the dome.  But they flexed in response to the Metro Council vote last year on the RNC (and public announcements they wouldn't pursue the DNC).  I think Sexton is just pushing back because he can.  I commend Cooper for his response; as he doesn't want to get into a dustup either. I expect this kerfuffle will end up working for the best for both parties in the end.... Metro and the state need to understand they don't operate in a vacuum.  From where I see things, neither side wants to kill the goose.

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Melrose said:

This thread remains largely a lost cause.  If you really believe that the Titans will find somewhere else to move to, and worse,  that this immense unlikelihood justifies the current version of this deal,  then I don't know what to tell you other than I feel bad for your logic and reasoning skills.  And if you further believe that losing the Titans/NFL, alone,  would make Nashville a "dying city",  then I don't know man, whatever.....

Three NFL franchises have relocated in the last 7 years (San Diego, St. Louis, Oakland) and all of them are larger markets than Nashville (which remains one of the smallest in the NFL). The "dying city" remarks are hyperbole but so is the idea that the Titans are both stuck with Nashville and/or provide no complementary benefits to the city. There's a reason the Titans are always on NFL relocation short lists recently, between the expiring lease, Nashville's relatively tiny NFL market size, and the NFL's international expansion plans, there are dozens of options for them to consider a move.

• Like 3

On 2/16/2023 at 3:25 PM, donNdonelson2 said:

I’ve said it before and I say it again. They need us more than we need them. We needn’t let the wealthy owners of an NFL team continue to be major benefactors of Nashville’s taxpayers. Work out a deal that is reasonable for all parties, or let them take their ball and go, if they think that is better for them!

The league needs our small market more than we need the league? How does that work?

• Like 3

On 2/17/2023 at 3:17 PM, Bos2Nash said:

All good man. 

I like the identity of the stadium district. I think having that anchored there is great draw. My logic just was that it is not needed to make the area valuable. Ultimately, a stadium deal will get done and I think the Titans are not going anywhere. To me though, from a planning and urbanist approach, the new location is plain bad. I still think the "neighborhood" should be on the east side of the stadium to better connect with the neighborhood and keep the "entertainment" on the west side of the river with the exception of the stadium. Logistically it is a much harder project, but IMHO it is a better plan for the city. 

To me though, there are just too many unanswered questions that do leave a fair amount of burden on taxpayers. I have no problem paying a little more for things, but when billionaires are involved, I want to minimize that burden. I will gladly pay some extra tax for better schools, get transit, sidewalks, bike lanes things that would allow Nashville to grow beyond just a mediocre SE city. If this was a known burden on the tax payers that may even go over a bit better, but the actual burden is a giant "?" and in reality the burden could dramatically grow if something was to happen. Here is another HYPOTHETICAL scenario. Say the state pettiness continues for years and they target the $500 million tax subsidy on the stadium. While they could not back out of the contract itself (their bill for MCC proved this is not allowed), but they come in and try to stipulate that the Sports Authority cannot put money away in savings for future expenditures and then something catastrophic happens. Where does that money come from? The general fund is going to have to protect that, because the Titans backstop is never supposed to be touched. The variables of our petty state government needs to be considered now because of their dumb politics. 

The state wants to take control of the Airport and the Sports Authority, well then they should shoulder the most burden for the investments. Let the state carry the $700 million in bonds and then Metro can carry a $500 million sales tax deferment. 

"I will gladly pay some extra tax for better schools, get transit, sidewalks, bike lanes things that would allow Nashville to grow beyond just a mediocre SE city."  -   

I don't think Nashville mediocre SE city.  but rather one of the premier SE cities.  The Titans and Predators are some of the reasons we are premier.   However, I drive a ton in Nashville as most of you do and I can go weeks in Nashville and never see a bike in the bike lanes.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Jarno6006 said:

"I will gladly pay some extra tax for better schools, get transit, sidewalks, bike lanes things that would allow Nashville to grow beyond just a mediocre SE city."  -   

I don't think Nashville mediocre SE city.  but rather one of the premier SE cities.  The Titans and Predators are some of the reasons we are premier.   However, I drive a ton in Nashville as most of you do and I can go weeks in Nashville and never see a bike in the bike lanes.  

The Titans and Preds are mediocre teams. They certainly aren’t why Nashville is a good city. Making Nashville more walkable and not just a place to drive through would be a huge leap forward.

15 hours ago, natethegreat said:

Nightmare day for Bob Mendes, as per usual 

Why? None of the issues with the agreement were fixed. This agreement passing relies on people’s emotional connection to the team. If it made economic sense to build a new stadium then private money would do it. The titans could redevelop the area around the stadium, and yet they haven’t done so for nearly 25 years.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, samsonh said:

If it made economic sense to build a new stadium then private money would do it. The titans could redevelop the area around the stadium, and yet they haven’t done so for nearly 25 years.

All the stadiums that were built we more private money are surrounded by hundreds of acres of parking because it’s so lucrative to the teams. I think we can all agree we’d rather redevelop these parking lots, finally collect sales and real estate tax revenue, build affordable housing and parks, etc.. and have metro’s portion be mainly paid by hotel guests

• Like 1