Union Bleachery mixed use development.

gman430

12 hours ago, gman430 said:

Talk about depressing. Hopefully GSA Business finds out what the heck is going on here. The amount of stalled projects in this area right now is ridiculous. 

You act like we live in a depressed area. When you drive around town and see all the positive that is happening in our great city, you will feel more grateful. There are stalled projects all over the nation. It is the economic conditions we are in. High interest rates, continued supply chain issues and worker issues are just a few of the issues. Until that improves, many projects are going to be stalled. 

Edited by gman
  • Like 3

On 4/30/2023 at 7:44 AM, gman said:

You act like we live in a depressed area. When you drive around town and see all the positive that is happening in our great city, you will feel more grateful. There are stalled projects all over the nation. It is the economic conditions we are in. High interest rates, continued supply chain issues and worker issues are just a few of the issues. Until that improves, many projects are going to be stalled. 

Excuses. Excuses. I was in Atlanta in this past weekend and there are tower cranes everywhere. In fact, a building over 700 feet tall started construction there just a few weeks ago. This seems more like a Greenville problem rather than a nationwide problem. 

Edited by gman430

55 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Excuses. Excuses. I was in Atlanta in this past weekend and there are tower cranes everywhere. In fact, a building over 700 feet tall started construction there just a few weeks ago. This seems more like a Greenville problem rather than a nationwide problem. 

It is not as it seems. Every growing city in America has projects that are delayed. 

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

And why are you comparing a city like Greenville to a large city like Atlanta? It probably has more delayed construction than we have in total projects proposed or under construction. Not really a smart post.

• Like 3

On 5/1/2023 at 12:18 PM, motonenterprises said:

And why are you comparing a city like Greenville to a large city like Atlanta? It probably has more delayed construction than we have in total projects proposed or under construction. Not really a smart post.

Fine. Let’s look at Charleston then. Several tower cranes up there and zero here. This is a local issue not a national one. Hopefully some day Greenville will get some real developers who actually know what they’re doing. Only the Beach Company right now seems to have a clue. Greenville for some odd reason just seems to have a bad history and luck of trying to get large projects built which is why the Gateway site has been empty for 25 years.

Edited by gman430

On 5/1/2023 at 10:02 AM, gman430 said:

If no cranes keeps us from becoming anything like Atlanta then I'll gladly do without. I'll take Greenville EVERYTIME over that mess. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gman430 said:

Fine. Let’s look at Charleston then. Several tower cranes up there and zero here. This is a local issue not a national one. Hopefully some day Greenville will get some real developers who actually know what they’re doing. Only the Beach Company right now seems to have a clue. Greenville for some odd reason just seems to have a bad history and luck of trying to get large projects built which is why the Gateway site has been empty for 25 years.

Sorry, but you are wrong. I am a glass half full type of person, always optimistic. But, being a retired banker, I can see the signs of trouble ahead. It is a national issue, that is likely to get worse as the banking crisis heats up and the banks cut back on lending. Commercial real estate is in big trouble. Bankers are going to put on the brakes, and commercial borrowers need to be careful on high interest rate debt. This is one of many articles that you can read about the upcoming situation. https://news.yahoo.com/commercial-real-estate-is-in-trouble-a-banking-crisis-will-make-it-worse-135630056.html

Edited by gman

11 hours ago, gman430 said:

You have something going on man. Count your blessings. 1st world problems. Much more going on than this. Greenville has added more buildings than probably any other city in SC the last decade. Pull it together dude. No height is being added in Charleston.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btoy said:

Why do we care how many tower cranes are present?

I didn’t know it was a crime to like tower cranes and high rises on a forum called “Urban Planet.” But if that’s the case then I guess it’s time for me to go elsewhere. 

Edited by gman430

14 hours ago, GVLer said:

The Homewood Suites never seems packed. Maybe demand is lacking 

Accommodations tax revenue is coming in higher so far for the year than the city projected in their budget so demand is definitely not the issue. 

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Project currently in civil permitting process. Construction to start this Summer. Site grading permits to be issued in two to three weeks. $150+ million for phase 1. The first phase of the development will include four acres of commercial space along South Carolina Highway 253 and the Swamp Rabbit Trail. Tied to this phase will also be two residential communities — approximately 600 housing units — another commercial parcel that will include food and beverage opportunities, an entertainment parcel that will be activated along the trail, and another parcel that houses a historical structure that will be adaptively reused to become a distillery. A lot of the hold up has been with DHEC and EPA but the project is moving forward. Developer is very happy with the support they have received from Greenville County also. 

Good to hear. I still wish there was someway to get this annexed, this would be a great development to have in the city limits and a population boost to boot.

2 minutes ago, gman430 said:

News story on this with rendering of the proposed distillery: 

https://gsabusiness.com/news/construction/83583/

Glad to see the Union Bleachery and Delano developers respond back. Hopefully the Kimpton developer does also with some sort of update. 

1 minute ago, btoy said:

pretty sure that building was a sewage treatment facility

It will smell the same either way! :D