Union Bleachery mixed use development.

gman430

:D Billions of dollars. BILLIONS OF DOLLARS!!!! I bet there will even be tower cranes. Get excited @apaladin

Because it's so large, the site will be developed in stages. At ultimate buildout, the project is expected to cost $1.9 to $3.4 billion, he said. 

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2022/01/27/greenville-union-bleachery-mill-redevelopment-project-break-ground/9211616002/?fbclid=IwAR1P0M21PspzV1AbDTs7V76fZB0JiH9jsMGj86ToZmgSurbvQLAzN00LaRg

Edited by gman430

24 minutes ago, gman430 said:

:D Billions of dollars. BILLIONS OF DOLLARS!!!! I bet there will even be tower cranes. Get excited @apaladin

Because it's so large, the site will be developed in stages. At ultimate buildout, the project is expected to cost $1.9 to $3.4 billion, he said. 

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2022/01/27/greenville-union-bleachery-mill-redevelopment-project-break-ground/9211616002/?fbclid=IwAR1P0M21PspzV1AbDTs7V76fZB0JiH9jsMGj86ToZmgSurbvQLAzN00LaRg

That's a big range. 

I wonder if the SRT could be used to establish contiguity?   

Edit: just took a quick look and just by getting Duke Power to sign an annexation petition, it would bring the city limits to just one block short of  HWY 183 as shown on the map above.   Monaghan Mill Lofts would then be annexable as well. BTW, the project would pay LOWER property taxes were it to annex into the city. I have to wonder if the developers are aware of that and how close they would be if Duke got on board.   Greenville really needs to get more aggressive on annexation, do we really want to be the 20th largest city in the state by 2030 or 2040?  We are headed that way even with tremendous infill already happening. 

1 minute ago, vicupstate said:

I wonder if the SRT could be used to establish contiguity?   

I was thinking the same thing. That would be a low investment acquisition, and the adjacencies for future multifamily annexations could be significant -- Riverside Apartments & Lofts of Greenville to name two.  

20 minutes ago, gman said:

Wow. The initial renderings of what could be are outstanding. https://wyff4.com/article/union-bleachery-redevelopment-one-step-closer-to-construction/38956280

Big tower cranes. :D Pretty funny how this project might have taller buildings than County Square. :lol: 

Edited by gman430

I love this concept, I truly do, but I do wonder how much of this is a pipe dream? I know it’s like a 20-year development, but if that is the case the very first elements of this project will need to be high quality as the renderings suggest. In all likelihood, they’ll like reuse the existing buildings as the renderings suggest and try to create demand in that area and hopefully housing will at the bare minimum look like “Innovation Apartments.” 

1 hour ago, NewlyUpstate said:

I'm laughing my ass off at that conceptual picture of the surf park.  That is cool as hell, but does that even exist in cities?

The only one I know of is Kelly Slater’s out in California but that’s an entirely different animal in itself. 

Edited by gman430

What to expect over 2022-2023 with this development, On The Trail.

"The project will be years in development, with construction set to begin in July or August. The first phase will be the spine road running through the site, while table-topping all the building pads and restoring the streams on the site. That will be conducted in tandem with infrastructure work to ensure proper utility accessibility. The first vertical developments will begin in spring 2023, consisting of multi-family residences."

"Warhaft and Zinn plan to transform an old water-treatment building on the property into a restaurant and distillery, they said Monday. The work would involve cleaning up and restoring the old brick building and finding a creative way to reuse the fresh-water storage space outside. Zinn envisions something like a clear floor overtop with the water in the pools showing beneath, or transforming the space into an outdoor seating area."

stackimage.jpg

The-Arrington-Stack.png

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Not much actual substance...

Developers opened the Union Bleachery mill site Monday at 3335 Old Buncombe Road, marking the first time in almost 20 years that the property has been open to public access.

The tour offered a first look at the 240 acres that will transform into a live-work-play site just three miles from downtown Greenville. 

Gutted by fire and blight, the mill site has been closed since 2003, but developers Dean Warhaft and Warren Zinn have plans for the “On The Trail” mixed-use development that will bring life to the industrial site once again.

Union Bleachery could hold up to 25 million square feet of development 

Rezonings approved by Greenville County Council in April 2021 will allow up to 25 million square feet of development on the property during the next 15 years. 

That includes restaurant, retail and office space, and roughly 100 acres of green space. 

The site is expected to include up to 10 miles of trails, including a new spur of the Prisma Health Swamp Rabbit Trail that could eventually extend to Paris Mountain and a pedestrian bridge to go over Blue Ridge Drive, which would create a safer connection to the Swamp Rabbit Trail. 

The project, which will open in stages, is ultimately expected to cost $1.9 to $3.4 billion, Warhaft has said. 

Environmental cleanup efforts begin at Union Bleachery 

The development team is beginning cleanup efforts on the site, starting with the portions that have been removed from the EPA's National Priorities List, a list of the most potentially hazardous contamination sites in the country because of the site's contaminated surface water, groundwater and sediment. 

Workers will have to remove hexavalent chromium from the water beneath the mill building's foundation as well as test the site's soil to determine what contaminants remain and how to treat them, developers said Monday. 

Union Bleachery redevelopment to include restaurant and distillery  

Warhaft and Zinn plan to transform an old water-treatment building on the property into a restaurant and distillery, they said Monday. 

The work would involve cleaning up and restoring the old brick building and finding a creative way to reuse the fresh-water storage space outside.

Zinn envisions something like a clear floor overtop with the water in the pools showing beneath, or transforming the space into an outdoor seating area. 

Union Bleachery developers want to use original architecture as possible 

The developers hope to reclaim what historic buildings they can on the sprawling property and keep original architecture that escaped the fire. 

That includes preserving touches like rounded brick corners inside the buildings — art-deco style — and original windowsills, or even some of the wooden doors with unique locks.

But they said they've found themselves in a race against time as elements are slowly disappearing from the property due to weather exposure and abuse from trespassers. 

The challenge lies in determining what they can restore — and what they just need to demolish. 

They'll be adding new buildings on the property, too, like new apartments and new shops and offices. The residential will be a mix of garden-style homes, townhomes, lofts and mid-rise apartments, according to a press release shared by developers.

The developers plan to build the residential first, with the retail to follow. 

Redevelopment aims to 'weave' the Greenville neighborhood together 

In all their designs, Warhaft and Zinn plan to knit the project back into the surrounding community, particularly the neighboring mill village. 

That means including plenty of public-use green space, trails and roads that run through the project for the public to use, as well as creating a location that is a destination, not an obstacle, Zinn said. 

They hope to harken back to the days when the mill was connected to the residents that lived around it. 

"We want to weave the whole neighborhood back together," Warhaft said. 

• Thanks 3

On 1/27/2022 at 3:41 PM, Tigers81 said:

Not far...but not close either. Would take a lot to get it there. Orange is the closest parcel I saw.

union bleachery.JPG

The only way one would ever know they were "leaving a city" is if they saw the yellow line on this map. Any other state in the country and all of that would be in the city already.

14 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

The only way one would ever know they were "leaving a city" is if they saw the yellow line on this map. Any other state in the country and all of that would be in the city already.

I am definitely in agreement, just pointing out the lines, as invisible as they may feel. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cone Mills Acquisition Group sold a majority stake in the On the Trail mixed-use development at the former Union Bleachery site in Greenville to 13th Floor Investments, a Miami-based real estate development and investment firm.

The investment firm closed on the acquisition of 168 acres of the 250-acre project site at 3335 Old Buncombe Road for an undisclosed amount.

Cone Mills Acquisition Group partners Dean Warhaft and Warren Zinn led efforts to seek environmental approvals and to secure project approval from Greenville County for a major development just outside of downtown Greenville. The pair will remain involved in the project, which will now be led by 13th Floor Investments, a real estate investment firm with more than $784 million in investments across the southeast.

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/168-acres-of-former-greenville-superfund-site-sold-to-miami-developer/article_d772ca40-a6fc-11ec-9894-03cb44de4802.html

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1