Union Bleachery mixed use development.

gman430

22 hours ago, gman430 said:

Project currently in civil permitting process. Construction to start this Summer. Site grading permits to be issued in two to three weeks. $150+ million for phase 1. The first phase of the development will include four acres of commercial space along South Carolina Highway 253 and the Swamp Rabbit Trail. Tied to this phase will also be two residential communities — approximately 600 housing units — another commercial parcel that will include food and beverage opportunities, an entertainment parcel that will be activated along the trail, and another parcel that houses a historical structure that will be adaptively reused to become a distillery. A lot of the hold up has been with DHEC and EPA but the project is moving forward. Developer is very happy with the support they have received from Greenville County also. 

The fact that this is moving forward sounds positive, but we don't REALLY know what we are getting, do we? Is this two garden style apartment communities that look like they could be along 385 in Simpsonville? 

4 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

The fact that this is moving forward sounds positive, but we don't REALLY know what we are getting, do we? Is this two garden style apartment communities that look like they could be along 385 in Simpsonville? 

I guess I just hope the renderings that have been released so far are accurate and what the developer plans to build. We shall see. 

https://buildout.com/plugins/inventory/On-the-Trail/view?document=1979230

If this is still accurate, it looks like there should be a bit of both. The beige portion looks more garden style multifamily, while the purple mixed use, which I believe is where this first phase is, should have more dense and higher class design. The two would be separated by transition townhomes

Edited by NewlyUpstate

3 minutes ago, NewlyUpstate said:

https://buildout.com/plugins/inventory/On-the-Trail/view?document=1979230

If this is still accurate, it looks like there should be a bit of both. The beige portion looks more garden style multifamily, while the purple mixed use, which I believe is where this first phase is, should have more dense and higher class design. The two would be separated by transition townhomes

We can assume that the master developer is still HOPING to achieve this. But that's simply marketing material to sell parcels off to other developers, trying to help them see the potential for the land. We can look to Verdae  for what happened as they sold off parcels for development and their masterplan devolved into a mess. Granted, Verdae allowed this to happen, but if a developer needs money flowing in, there comes a point where they lose sight of the vision for necessary cash flow. Just saying that I would temper expectations and hope to be surprised. I sure hope the original vision comes to fruition. 

4 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

We can assume that the master developer is still HOPING to achieve this. But that's simply marketing material to sell parcels off to other developers, trying to help them see the potential for the land. We can look to Verdae  for what happened as they sold off parcels for development and their masterplan devolved into a mess. Granted, Verdae allowed this to happen, but if a developer needs money flowing in, there comes a point where they lose sight of the vision for necessary cash flow. Just saying that I would temper expectations and hope to be surprised. I sure hope the original vision comes to fruition. 

Very true.  Maybe they'll just build a Whole Foods with a massive parking lot

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/22/2023 at 11:24 AM, apaladin said:

Not happening. Build appartments there. They could put a lot of them there. 

Yeah, they tore down all of those trees. :( Poor wildlife. Now the site looks like a scene from the Last of Us.

Edited by gman430
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Still no movement on site. Isn’t it great? :D The trees are actually starting to grow back.

Speaking of trees growing back, how about the large lot at Pelham and Haywood where they cleared it off then quit. Trees are getting pretty high already! What a waste of time, money and effort that was! 

25 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Speaking of trees growing back, how about the large lot at Pelham and Haywood where they cleared it off then quit. Trees are getting pretty high already! What a waste of time, money and effort that was! 

I never understand why developers waste money tearing down trees on site then just leaving it like that afterwards. Makes no sense. If you don’t have proper bank financing, why the heck are you starting construction in the first place? Reminds me of the Peacock and Pinnacle. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gman430 said:

I never understand why developers waste money tearing down trees on site then just leaving it like that afterwards. Makes no sense. If you don’t have proper bank financing, why the heck are you starting construction in the first place? Reminds me of the Peacock and Pinnacle. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.wspa.com/news/local-news/multibillion-dollar-revitalization-project-set-to-begin-in-greenville-co/

The EPA shed light on the significance of this project, calling it the largest redevelopment in the southeast.

EPA leaders expect a groundbreaking ceremony to be held within the next year.

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa-recognizes-us-finishing-cone-mills-superfund-site-excellence-site-reuse-award

This was published months ago, but got no attention here. The proposed plan on remediation of the area: https://semspub.epa.gov/work/04/11164929.pdf

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, gman430 said:

An entire year away still? WTF? :blink: What happened to Summer 2023?

Considering this is the largest scale environmental redevelopment in the Southeast, I have a feeling there are plenty of people involved that don't understand the timelines and activities required to remediate the site and begin construction.  

The next step in the process (after recommendation and comment period that ended in August) is for the EPA to publish the final plan, then they will begin remediation.  Their recommendation was the most comprehensive option, would take about 4 months to execute, $10mm, and then take about 2 years for the anticipated remedial impact to be achieved.  It's not clear to me what work can / can not begin while waiting that 2 years.

https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/SiteProfiles/index.cfm?fuseaction=second.schedule&id=0403254

image.png

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, btoy said:

Pretty sure their are areas of the site not impacted to the same degree or at all that can be developed for their respective uses sooner. 

This is correct. The area where the trees were all cut down could and should have started construction by now but still hasn’t. I have a bad feeling this project is never going to happen. It’s too big in sheer size and not in the best part of town. Having to compete with other projects like County Square doesn’t help matters either. 

Edited by gman430

• 2 months later...