Economic Conditions - Nashville, TN, U.S., Global

Mr_Bond

With 146 more Tennesseans passing away today, we have now surpassed the 8,000 death plateau due to Covid-19.  Here are the heartbreaking numbers:

First death: March 1st

1,000th death: July 29th (151 days)

2,000th death: Sept. 12th (44 days)

3,000th death: Oct. 22nd (39 days)

4,000th death: Nov. 18th  (27 days)

5,000th death: Dec. 7th (19 days) 

6,000th death: Dec. 19th (12 days)

7,000th death: Jan. 2nd: (13 days)

8,000 death: Jan. 12th (10 days)

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

With 192 more Tennesseans passing away Tuesday, we have now surpassed the 9,000 death plateau due to Covid-19.  We have had our largest 2-day total since the pandemic started with 346 yesterday and today and currently stand at 9,316. Here are the trends:

8,000th  death: Jan. 12th (10 days)

9,000th death: Jan. 26th (14 days)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

With 133 more Tennesseans passing away today, we have now surpassed the 10,000 death plateau due to Covid-19.  Here are the trends:

8,000th  death: Jan. 12th (10 days)

9,000th death: Jan. 26th (14 days)

10,000th death: Feb. 3rd  (8 days)

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I don't really understand how it's even possible to freeze taxes at a certain rate for forever, or what the benefit would be.  Why would you want to put limits on the flexibility the city has?  Who knows what might happen in the future in what it's needs might be?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Country Music Association CEO Sarah Trahern announced Tuesday that CMA Fest 2021 has been canceled, making this the second straight year Nashville will be without its largest tourism event due to the pandemic.

Trahern emailed a letter to CMA members this morning, sharing the news.

“After thoughtful deliberation, we are saddened to share that CMA Fest will not take place in 2021,” Trahern said in a statement. “We know our fans near and far have hoped that the festival could safely return this summer, and while we are encouraged to see Covid-19 vaccines becoming more widely available, we still face several challenges that prevent us from bringing our fans around the world the CMA Fest experience they have come to expect.

“But rest assured, we have already started planning what will be the most epic celebration of country music next summer. Mark your calendars for CMA Fest June 9-12, 2022!”

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/03/02/cma-fest-cancelled-second-straight-year-trahern.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=1#cxrecs_s

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I got mine yesterday as a walk in. I had to drive to Lebanon to do it, but I got the Moderna. Sore arm this morning only is all. I have to wait 28 days for the second dose.

I also got mine yesterday , Moderna in Lebanon. Got it at Vanderbilt Wilson County Hospital, maybe we passed each other and didn’t know . 

I got mine in Perry County. There were many cars with Rutherford, Williamson, etc. plates , but only one from Perry. They allowed reduced age category people before it was ok statewide. You just had to know how sign up for it. It was a little tricky. I've had both now.

Is it because of the vaccine that things seems more “back to normal” in the country?  The reason I ask is that the US daily Covid numbers are still way higher now than they were most anytime before the “fall / winter spike”, meaning it’s obviously not over yet.  Are we celebrating too soon…or is the worst past us?  Btw…trying not to make this political…just wondering if there seems to be a consensus we’re past the worst.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Are we celebrating too soon…or is the worst past us?

Both I think. People are tired of it and taking more risks than would have seemed reasonable last summer but hopefully increasing vaccine distributions + remaining immunity from people that got sick in the big winter spike will keep us ahead of any further major spikes.

Edited by GregH
  • Thanks 1

I checked the channel 17 webcams this evening at around 6:00 cdt.... and broadway was packed with people flowing in both directions. I must say it startled me. I don’t know if it’s because it’s been so long since I saw it that crowded or if it’s just locals who decided they’re done with the lockdown.  It reminded me of Times Square it was so crowded.  People.. cars... no kidding!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1