Economic Conditions - Nashville, TN, U.S., Global

Mr_Bond

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

Thanks. So can they legally just not accept (or grant as you say) appeals?

I am unfamiliar with the process other than I filed a review on my first home. It was easy and it was granted. I am sure for higher dollar projects that the legal process can be much more complex. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2021/04/20/what-know-nashville-property-tax-rate-reappraisal-process/7289034002/

Can someone explain this to me-

If the property tax rate is automatically adjusted so metro cannot take in more revenue after a reappraisal (by state law), why does the article state "After the state-mandated rate adjustment, the city typically adjusts the rates back up again to capture revenue growth from the rise in property values". 

If the state requires metro to adjust the rate down, but then metro subsequently adjusts the rate back up, what is the point of the state law?

20 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

If the state requires metro to adjust the rate down, but then metro subsequently adjusts the rate back up, what is the point of the state law?

So counties/municipalities can't hide a tax increase in a reappraisal. If they want to raise taxes per state law it has to be done via tax rate increase instead of under the table by increasing appraised values.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

From today's Metro Covid update - Music City Center will stop providing first (Pfizer) shots on May 7th and second shots, 3 weeks later, on May 28th. The explanation centered on health department workers needing to get back to their offices and start working toward fall student, traditional (non Covid) vaccinations before school starts. It was also talked about letting MCC get back to conventions. MCC walk ins will increase to 1000 as people are slowing down on getting vaccinations. It was pointed out that folks have a lot more options now to get vaccinated and aren't as reliant on metro. A reporter asked if the low availability of ICU beds is COVID related and they said probably not. This may just be fairly close to pre covid rates. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DDIG said:

We've pretty much captured most the people willing to actively seek out the vaccine. Now it is a matter of getting it to people who are on the fence or not likely to be proactive.

^^yes! While nobody expects 100% of the population to get vaccinated, it's beginning to look like there might be concerns about what percentage actually get the vaccine. However, time will tell us much in a few months when many variables stabilize