The Edge | 32-Story Mixed Use + SunRail Station [Proposed/Demo Underway]

HankStrong

• 4 weeks later...

8 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

35-story building -- 

Would this break 400 feet?

Did the article say 35-stories? I can't tell because of the paywall. They originally said this will be 32-stories, so 35 is either a typo or they decided to make it taller at the last minute.

10 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Did the article say 35-stories? I can't tell because of the paywall. They originally said this will be 32-stories, so 35 is either a typo or they decided to make it taller at the last minute.

The article does say 35 stories. Also, "building amenities include touchless recognition, balconies on every level and an integrated SunRail station at the Church Street stop. In addition, the development will feature a club level on the 20th story with fine dining, a bar, meeting rooms, a pool, private lounge, a health and wellness salon, and fitness equipment."

Sorry for the pw.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Urbo said:

Interesting design. Glad they decided to incorporate residential into the use of this projects. Just wish they were condos!

image.png.7128d18eb7a8eedf83d5c135013b667f.png

Beat me to it ! 

I love the tweaked design. It's going to look nice along I4 at 400ft. 

But I've never personally seen condos be mixed used with office  but that would be interesting. 

Orlando is due for some condo high rises in the next decade. They are coming. Developers know to get in on the rental market too though. Orlando isn't slowing down. I find it amazing they are still building the 200,000 SQ ft of office portion still even with the creative village office building coming aboard. I think Downtown Orlando is doing just fine with office demand and I don't know shxt. Lol

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

35-story building -- 

Yes. The original at 32 stories was going to be 400 Ft. 

The redesign says 35 stories and it's apartments instead of hotel so it may be a few dozen feet taller rivaling the old SunTrust Tower in height which will be very nice/welcomed.

Looking at the massing, it appears to be between 425 ft and 439ft. 

Edited by IAmFloridaBorn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

OBJ is reporting construction may begin on CSP2 by end of year. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/08/24/florida-orlando-office-apartment-building.html

The project will feature:

200,000 square feet of office space
230 residential units
4,000 square feet of retail

image.png.e24f916d34ab7086da6396f18159fafe.png

Here is a screenshot of old rendering and details 

Lose 10,000 SQ ft of office.

Gain 1,000 SQ ft of retail.

Trade hotel for apartments.

I don't have an OBJ subscription so I can't see the ballroom space. 

Screenshot_20210824-164029~2.png

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

35-story building -- 

it looks like it's over 400' tall if you follow the sight lines to the Suntrust

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

The article does say 35 stories. Also, "building amenities include touchless recognition, balconies on every level and an integrated SunRail station at the Church Street stop. In addition, the development will feature a club level on the 20th story with fine dining, a bar, meeting rooms, a pool, private lounge, a health and wellness salon, and fitness equipment."

Sorry for the pw.

club level = Citrus Club's new digs?

1 hour ago, Urbo said:

Interesting design. Glad they decided to incorporate residential into the use of this projects. Just wish they were condos!

image.png.7128d18eb7a8eedf83d5c135013b667f.png

don't those look like white LED strips outlying those groupings of balconied (my new word) floors?

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

don't those look like white LED strips outlying those groupings of balconied (my new word) floors?

Yes, it appears to be lighting surrounding the balcony. Its a very cool design feature. Adds to the colorful Orlando Skyline at night which is one of my favorite aspect of downtown. Bring more color in the sky!!

1 hour ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Beat me to it ! 

I love the tweaked design. It's going to look nice along I4 at 400ft. 

But I've never personally seen condos be mixed used with office  but that would be interesting. 

Orlando is due for some condo high rises in the next decade. They are coming. Developers know to get in on the rental market too though. Orlando isn't slowing down. I find it amazing they are still building the 200,000 SQ ft of office portion still even with the creative village office building coming aboard. I think Downtown Orlando is doing just fine with office demand and I don't know shxt. Lol

Yes New York is the only place that comes to mind with a few buildings combining condos and office space. I'm sure investors and developers still have PTSD from the housing crash, but over 10 years without a new condo tower in downtown is pretty ridiculous.

And they better keep building Class A office space downtown because if not, you know there is a beautiful, brand new, modern and clean alternative waiting for corporations right in Lake Nona!! haha

Edited by Urbo
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Urbo said:

Yes, it appears to be lighting surrounding the balcony. Its a very cool design feature. Adds to the colorful Orlando Skyline at night which is one of my favorite aspect of downtown. Bring more color in the sky!!

Yes New York is the only place that comes to mind with a few buildings combining condos and office space. I'm sure investors and developers still have PTSD from the housing crash, but over 10 years without a new condo tower in downtown is pretty ridiculous.

And they better keep building Class A office space downtown because if not, you know there is a beautiful, brand new, modern and clean alternative waiting for corporations right in Lake Nona!! haha

Chicago pioneered that concept; Water Tower Place, for one, from 1976, and JHC from 1969 which was the world's tallest residential-office building.  I believe Trump Tower also was mixed use to that extent and also the newer Vista Tower.  Others of note were 900 North Michigan Ave from 1989-90; perhaps Chicago Place from the late '80's...and maybe the Olympia Centre near WTP (Neiman Marcus).  There's more, FYI.

• Thanks 1

So have to clarify, the blade feature doesn’t make sense on the upper floors of the south side in the rendering.  Like, the the floors will be overlooking a metal wall?  It’s cool on the bottom however I don’t understand the top.  Wouldn’t it go through the building sand not the exterior?  What am I missing?

20 minutes ago, tm68 said:

So have to clarify, the blade feature doesn’t make sense on the upper floors of the south side in the rendering.  Like, the the floors will be overlooking a metal wall?  It’s cool on the bottom however I don’t understand the top.  Wouldn’t it go through the building sand not the exterior?  What am I missing?

No. The blade is for the sides and tops. The rendering is just the forced perspective its showing. Same with the height. It will be taller than what the rendering is showing. We need other renders to view north and west and it'll make more sense. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, tm68 said:

It's just an architectural feature put there for no other purpose than to make the building look cool.  :shades: 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jrs2 said:

it looks like it's over 400' tall if you follow the sight lines to the Suntrust

club level = Citrus Club's new digs?

My visceral reaction when seeing this rendering was, "EWWWW".  The checkerboard pattern for the balcony layout is tacky and will invite ridicule, with some LEDs to prominently highlight the disturbing lack of taste.  I hope this rendering is still a work of progress, and the partners in that architecture film are raging at their staff right now that it was even realised...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jliv said:

My visceral reaction when seeing this rendering was, "EWWWW".  The checkerboard pattern for the balcony layout is tacky and will invite ridicule, with some LEDs to prominently highlight the disturbing lack of taste.  I hope this rendering is still a work of progress, and the partners in that architecture film are raging at their staff right now that it was even realised...

The rendering got Barriosed but it's a huge improvement over that first nonsense lol 

• Like 3