The Edge | 32-Story Mixed Use + SunRail Station [Proposed/Demo Underway]

HankStrong

• 5 weeks later...

4 minutes ago, Musikprince said:

This project was to start construction in the 4th quarter! It's now mid December and there's no signs of progress. Has there been a delay that has been discussed that I might have missed?

Lincoln has a reputation locally of eventually building their projects, but they often are behind schedule. This may take a while.

• Thanks 1

And with the raising of the Truist logo, all evidence of the Sun First National Bank at Orlando is gone. It’s hard to point at any of the major accomplishments in the area over the last fifty or so years of the 20th century that Sun didn’t have an impact on, including our tallest building.

”Build your community and you build your bank.” - Linton E. Allen, President, First National Bank at Orlando

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Looks like we're not the only town to get a Mr. T mohawk building....

Indeed not. The similarities between the new-ish Marriott Marquis here in Chicago are also striking - it's almost as if the design details of this building are split between CSP phases I & II (or whatever we're calling the different phases...)

Unknown-5-1500x864.jpg

Edited by uncreativeusername
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Faditecture.

Gimmicktecture.  

Raises the question...what is the difference between an architectural fad and an architectural trend or style?  The former implies a negative connotation, the latter not (at least by my reading).  One could argue any skinned building is "Gimmicktecture" if its features are purely for aesthetic interest rather than the practical functioning of the building.  I'm not making this argument myself, I'm just positing as to where and how we make the distinction. Passage of time?

19 minutes ago, uncreativeusername said:

Raises the question...what is the difference between an architectural fad and an architectural trend or style?  The former implies a negative connotation, the latter not (at least by my reading).  One could argue any skinned building is "Gimmicktecture" if its features are purely for aesthetic interest rather than the practical functioning of the building.  I'm not making this argument myself, I'm just positing as to where and how we make the distinction. Passage of time?

Certainly it's a subjective thing, but I think there are some kind of loosely defined, general guidelines one could use.

A trend toward the use of certain exterior materials might be seen as a trend, while certain aspects of the shape and style of a particular style of roofline (visors, mohawks, SunTrust style pyramids, Nashville Batman building, etc) might be safely considered gimmicky or fadish.  

I would say that if it looks gimmicky or as if not a lot of thought or inspiration went into it and a particular design or  design feature seems to be being replicated over and over again in city after city, I would again feel safe in calling it a fad.

In short I suppose trends tend to be of a more general nature while fads tend to be more specific. 

?  :dontknow: 

14 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Certainly it's a subjective thing, but I think there are some kind of loosely defined, general guidelines one could use.

A trend toward the use of certain exterior materials might be seen as a trend, while certain aspects of the shape and style of a particular style of roofline (visors, mohawks, SunTrust style pyramids, Nashville Batman building, etc) might be safely considered gimmicky or fadish.  

I would say that if it looks gimmicky or as if not a lot of thought or inspiration went into it and a particular design or  design feature seems to be being replicated over and over again in city after city, I would again feel safe in calling it a fad.

In short I suppose trends tend to be of a more general nature while fads tend to be more specific. 

?  :dontknow: 

I just hope too much teal (Sun Bank Center) was a fad that doesn’t come back. Not to mention living through the coral and teal days at Publix was a decade long nightmare…

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, codypet said:

That was only a decade?!?!!?  Felt like longer.

It was the Miami Vice look - the stores (and even the checkouts) were included in the redos. Fortunately, as they moved into Georgia, they decided the uber-Florida motif was probably a bit much and they thankfully began muting the colors.

Edited by spenser1058

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, GregoryMCSE said:

I think they are going to talk about the new tower as well.  It may be a big nothing burger but… who knows?  

They briefly mentioned the new tower atthe end, but overall the report was pretty much of a nothing burger.

Nothing much in the way of new info but a lot of rah rah cheerleading.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1