The Edge | 32-Story Mixed Use + SunRail Station [Proposed/Demo Underway]

HankStrong

38 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I was working on Pine right there.  The Thai place and other restaurants got rat attacked; so did our office and others.

Aww man... those poor little rats. :cry:

Made homeless because that mean old Buddy Dyer refused to preserve their Rat Hole.

woolrathole.jpg

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Man, I really hate that "unfinished exposed  MEP Plenum space" look. 

Listen designers. Do your stuff correctly and stop trying to be edgy. Wow that plywood and fireproofing looks awesome. 

Kinda makes sense for an architect office so they can show how they plan for the MEP integration, but still.   Why not do it well with a different ceiling in place such as an innovative window system to see that in places? 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Photoshop? was that in Orlando ever?  I know it was in DB...

Cheap-o, web-based online Photoshop alternative.

My old laptop  with Photoshop installed on it is starting to go south on me and as yet, I don't think I can install it on my tablet.

Not going to pay the monthly fee they now charge either.

Fortunately there are some apps and web-sites that emulate Photoshop fairly closely.

Re: The Rat Hole, that was definitely Daytona Beach.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Jvest55 said:

I friggin hate this look. Such a cop out. Lazy craps. You'd never find this in a true Class A building. 

Are you talking about the unfinished finishes? Isn't it usually up to businesses to build out the raw space to their liking?

All the firms who leased office space without a proper drop ceiling will be crying like a baby post COVID19.  Not only does it make it impossible to have sound proofed private offices (which people will be BEGGING FOR NOW), everything is super loud with the HVAC going all day long. ... let's not to mention, nobody likes an open office anymore (nobody ever did)..

Edited by Jvest55

37 minutes ago, Musikprince said:

Spenser I respect your own personal opinions, but you probably need to be living, working and playing in a rural area of these metropolitan!

There's no good reason for stripping a city of all it's trees, especially the large older ones.  Of course, developers are only interested in making as much money as they can, which is their right. It's a shame though, that the public isn't more involved in these kinds of things. Calling attention to it every time as happened with the large old oak at Constitution Green. Even when they agree to replace what was cut down, they always do so with scrawny little saplings that die in a year or so anyway. Money and maximum profit shouldn't be the only factors that drive the decision making.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Back in college, reading Jane Jacobs’ battles with Robert Moses to keep him from paving over Greenwich Village with an expressway, we appreciated that it was significant but it was removed from us as a historical artifact, not unlike reading about how catastrophic the Spanish Flu was during and after WWI.

Both were awful, but tucked away in history and only remotely of interest to how we live.

Well, the Spanish Flu seems very relevant to our lives now and, oddly enough, it seems the thinking Jane Jacobs worked so hard to change in the 1960’s is apparently also back in downtown Orlando.

Ecclesiastes said it best, “there is nothing new under the sun”.

6 hours ago, JFW657 said:

There's no good reason for stripping a city of all it's trees, especially the large older ones.  Of course, developers are only interested in making as much money as they can, which is their right. It's a shame though, that the public isn't more involved in these kinds of things. Calling attention to it every time as happened with the large old oak at Constitution Green. Even when they agree to replace what was cut down, they always do so with scrawny little saplings that die in a year or so anyway. Money and maximum profit shouldn't be the only factors that drive the decision making.

Thats 1 tree.. Lake Eola has plenty of trees! They're not trying to strip the city of all its trees. 

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I suspect I’ve lived in downtown areas longer than you’ve been alive.

I guess you've lived downtown over 50 years then!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Musikprince said:

Thats 1 tree.. Lake Eola has plenty of trees! They're not trying to strip the city of all its trees. 

To me, every one of them is beautiful and valuable.

One by one, they'll eventually find a reason to get more of them.

They've taken down several along Church St for the two big ugly shoe boxes.

And understand, I am not suggesting that anyone should force it on the developers, I'm just hoping the current Zoi House (or whatever they're calling it now)  design never comes to pass for whatever reason, and that some new developer takes over, designs a scaled back tower and allows the tree and the neighboring building to stay. 

Tree or no tree, I feel that the footprint of the current design is too massive.

13 minutes ago, Musikprince said:

I guess you've lived downtown over 50 years then!

close - in downtown (or downtown-adjoining as before the ‘80’s living downtown in the south wasn’t much of a thing - that’s what we worked to bring back) Orlando, Nashville, Tampa and Atlanta. let’s see, 43 years altogether.

My parents were typical creatures of the 1950’-70’s suburban mentality. I couldn’t wait to get out.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1