Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

Isn't it within the HH historic district? Aren't there guidelines about renovations?

http://www.grcity.us/download_upload/binar...ines%20Book.pdf

If I were on the HH Board, I'd at least be bringing it to the city's attention.

It's in the Cherry Hill Historic District; same historic quidelines, which do not include paint color choices.

Some change is slow in coming but worth the wait. How many of you remember when the Wealthy Bakery Building facade was cement blocks instead of glass, and The Art of the Table building was a boarded and barred ghetto liquor store? It was just a few years ago. Maybe the current owners will accept the next purchase offer......they've rejected numerous overtures in the past. Some one just needs to sing them the right song.

That was from a mural contest PBR hosted some time ago... I only know this because I came across a thread in G-RAD titled "PBR Jesus Fights Giant Squid on Division Corner" ...I'm not big into G-RAD, but I couldn't pass up a title like that.

The one on Division is far weirder. I also found out on the thread that Pabst doesn't even brew its own beer. So it was a learning experience.

Edited by RegalTDP

This really isnt a Wealthy St. thing (you could see it from there though if you have good eyesight) but here is the newly opened Metro PCS store on the corner of Franklin and Eastern. I just about fell out of my car seeing it, because it really looked out of place at that intersection full of drab and shabby buildings with bars over the windows.

The All-Star Wireless on Michigan & Diamond has undergone a perhaps even more dramatic transformation. The awning is gone, all new plaster on front and even a stone facade now! If anything, it's too nice for the area now. :thumbsup: (Although the paint job may not be done - I'll redact my "too nice for the area" comment if it turns purple and orange.)

The All-Star Wireless on Michigan & Diamond has undergone a perhaps even more dramatic transformation. The awning is gone, all new plaster on front and even a stone facade now! If anything, it's too nice for the area now. :thumbsup: (Although the paint job may not be done - I'll redact my "too nice for the area" comment if it turns purple and orange.)

I saw that. It says that they are a MetroPCS dealer, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I also saw that MetroPCS renovated a spot in Eastown I believe, right near Jimmy John's (?)

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=U...962063&z=15

That was from a mural contest PBR hosted some time ago... I only know this because I came across a thread in G-RAD titled "PBR Jesus Fights Giant Squid on Division Corner" ...I'm not big into G-RAD, but I couldn't pass up a title like that.

The one on Division is far weirder. I also found out on the thread that Pabst doesn't even brew its own beer. So it was a learning experience.

What? Pabst doesn't brew it's own beer? I thought I was drinking the beer that won the medal at the Chicago Expo in 1893. Time to re-format another part of my world view.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news for Wealthy Street: "Todd Ponstein is planning a Groundbreaking Ceremony for 632-636 Wealthy SE on July 9 at 11:30 a.m." Past home of John Seven's Paint, Ainslie Upholstery, and the Cherry Hill Antique Mall,among others, this four storefront double building has been vacant for too long. Come by and encourage Mr. Ponstein as he begins renovations. As we understand it, there will be four retail spaces and four apartments, a welcome addition to a rapidly progressing Wealthy Street. (Cherry Hill Historic District & Renaissance Zone).

Great News! Can't wait to see this get rehabbed after a few starts and stops. :)

Good news for Wealthy Street: "Todd Ponstein is planning a Groundbreaking Ceremony for 632-636 Wealthy SE on July 9 at 11:30 a.m." Past home of John Seven's Paint, Ainslie Upholstery, and the Cherry Hill Antique Mall,among others, this four storefront double building has been vacant for too long. Come by and encourage Mr. Ponstein as he begins renovations. As we understand it, there will be four retail spaces and four apartments, a welcome addition to a rapidly progressing Wealthy Street. (Cherry Hill Historic District & Renaissance Zone).

I talked with a young man the other day who said he and his mom are working on opening a Cuban restaurant in the old laundromat by Jamaican Dave's. He said "the guys from the Wealthy Market" were helping with the cost. We'll see how it turns out...and if it turns out. Either way, mmmmmmmmm...Cuban food. I did see the "for rent" sign down and some work going on inside, so something is going on regardless. The son and mother are long-time residents of Baxter.

The Facebook page on this event shows 12:30, not 11:30. Just FYI. I'm going to try and get down for this.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/event.php?eid=97762814410

dean is a fantastic photographer and this will be - when renovated - his photography studio! he has been a long time heartside studio renter and has decided to join the excitement on wealthy - it's fantastic!

I also heard there will be a consignment shop moving in? And it sounds like the condos will be leased for now.

I also heard there will be a consignment shop moving in? And it sounds like the condos will be leased for now.

Different buildings: photographer at 920; womens consignment boutique and condos at 623/626. Contractor is looking towards fall completion for the four condos and storefronts at 632/636 (corner of James; west of The Winchester).

Edited by PRCH