Nashville as MLB Expansion/Relocation Market

MLBrumby

These flew under our radar for the most part; Smartitechts:  please tell us again why First Horizon could or could not be expanded for MLB at Sulphur Dell.  I just can't see the Brewers leaving Milwaukee.

https://sportsnaut.com/milwaukee-brewers-relocation-cities/

https://sportsnaut.com/milwaukee-brewers-start-moving-process/

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

These flew under our radar for the most part; Smartitechts:  please tell us again why First Horizon could or could not be expanded for MLB at Sulphur Dell.  I just can't see the Brewers leaving Milwaukee.

https://sportsnaut.com/milwaukee-brewers-relocation-cities/

https://sportsnaut.com/milwaukee-brewers-start-moving-process/

What is the shelf life for a stadium these days?  I feel like Miller Park or whatever it's called now wasn't built that long ago (relatively speaking).  Yet, I guess capabilities and revenue generating characteristics certainly could have changed.   Who knows anymore.  I hope Nashville gets an expansion club and not a transfer.

• Like 3

• markhollin changed the title to Nashville as MLB Expansion/Relocation Market
1 hour ago, Bark At The Sun said:

I like the idea of the White Sox moving here, and keeping the name..........grew up watching the Knoxville Sox back in 70's at Bill Meyer Stadium and always loved the uniforms, colors.     Moving the White Sox here, the A's to Vegas and the Rays to Charlotte would (geographically) keep the teams in their current Divisions.   I know a lot of people like the idea of the Stars name, but MLB does not need expansion.    If they need a place to play for a few years until they get a stadium deal, let them play in Nissan Stadium until that gets done.

Naahh. Baseball probably wouldn't work in Charlotte. It doesn't have the drip like Nashville or Vegas.

Edited by Argo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Teejr2824 said:

Is there any way First Horizon Park can be renovated? If answer already my bad. 

I think some of the guys have tried to answer this before with some mockups of the current stadium. It is way back in this thread or another one. In a word it would be difficult not to mention the ownership issues.

I also think all of the different entities involved in a future MLB team will make things quite complicated. I will guarantee you one thing, there will not be any Metro money after the soccer stadium and the new Titans stadium.

1 minute ago, Argo said:

Naahh. Baseball probablt wouldn't work in Charlotte. It doesn't the drip like Nashville or Vegas.

To be fair Charlotte is on the radar of MLB and does have a larger population and a larger TV market. They may get a team at the same time as Nashville. I would not count them out of the game. I will say the movement of the Nashville Stars is a lot more organized than anything in Charlotte.

• Like 4

First off if the White Sox decided to actually make the move to Nashville, wouldn’t the current owners still be ? They would have the resources and necessary capital to build a new stadium or renovate First Horizon, essentially the money component that’s lacking in Nashville’s current bid for MLB . I also believe First Horizon should be the number one contender for a MLB stadium, but understand that might not be possible due to physical limitations or other factors beyond control. If that doesn’t work, then the East Bank should be the second and obvious choice. Having both the new Nissan Stadium/ Entertainment Venue and a new MLB Ballpark sharing a new Neighborhood and supporting local businesses pretty much year round, along with a likely future TPAC relocation sounds like a recipe for success! Maybe the burden of building a new stadium shouldn’t fall onto the taxpayers, but what about a deal that utilizes Metro Sports Authority land ( current Nissan Stadium) leased to the baseball ownership and part of the overall revenue stream to offset the cost of building a the new Nissan Stadium and surrounding development. Any move to relocate the Sox wouldn’t be until after 2029 , so that gives about 2 1/2 years to build ballpark after the new Nissan ( or whatever its called) opens. Win, win situation.

I support the Stars ownership looking at TSU, but I have been saying from the get-go that First Horizon should be the priority location. If Metro/State were to get involved with luring a relocation here, I would think (at from a Metro standpoint) utilizing First Horizon should be a stipulation of getting any bond funding from the city.

That being said, I agree entirely with PruneTracy about it is not about the ownership having money, it is about how much upfront funding can a group get from a municipality to reduce their risk for building/renovating a facility. On top of that, venue developers now know there is precedent in Metro to get something more to "sweeten" the deal in order to cover said bond financing. You either have to be a revenue power house (ie NFL), or get something in return to profit off of (ie 10-acres of land to develop). While MLB have improved their numbers this year, I presume they aren't close to the NFL in terms of revenue so they will be looking for something in return to cover any debt service. First Horizon really doesn't have anything around it to do that. East Bank has land, but that land is way to valuable to "give away" like that. TSU has a bunch of promise. 

• Like 3

There always needs to be “ Something in it” to  entice a perspective objective. Even the likes of Amazon and Oracle need enticing. That’s just business, and Municipalities are in fact businesses. Their capital and income are just called taxes, which is a word that nobody can conceivably understand is just the same as all other forms of expenditure. Don’t say raising taxes that’s a forbidden omen , but paying a little more for that car or house you really want or spending a little extra on those vacations is not an issue. Just saying for discussion sake, relocating a baseball team or any other business to be exact takes a good amount of subsidizing and incentivizing being used either voluntarily or through other sources such as Tiffs, Pilots , hotel and/or tourist taxes etc. I wasn’t implying that there’s any chance that even a billionaire would come and build anything without Metro or the State making some sort of deal to bring something to the table. Just was thinking out loud , that it would be possible to look at different options for a potential ballpark in Nashville without having to dip per se into the taxpayers wallet. But yes there Will always be incentives.

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

I support the Stars ownership looking at TSU, but I have been saying from the get-go that First Horizon should be the priority location. If Metro/State were to get involved with luring a relocation here, I would think (at from a Metro standpoint) utilizing First Horizon should be a stipulation of getting any bond funding from the city.

That being said, I agree entirely with PruneTracy about it is not about the ownership having money, it is about how much upfront funding can a group get from a municipality to reduce their risk for building/renovating a facility. On top of that, venue developers now know there is precedent in Metro to get something more to "sweeten" the deal in order to cover said bond financing. You either have to be a revenue power house (ie NFL), or get something in return to profit off of (ie 10-acres of land to develop). While MLB have improved their numbers this year, I presume they aren't close to the NFL in terms of revenue so they will be looking for something in return to cover any debt service. First Horizon really doesn't have anything around it to do that. East Bank has land, but that land is way to valuable to "give away" like that. TSU has a bunch of promise. 

First Horizon is already doing that for the Sounds stadium with TIF

1 hour ago, Andy20 said:

I would expect a 0% chance for Nashville to get a baseball team/stadium if and when Freddie becomes mayor.

Maybe it would be time for any perspective ballpark and/ or entertainment complex , to look into the options that other counties might have to offer. Metro isn’t the only choice they have, Wilson is only a stones throw away from BNA . And Rutherford isn’t out of contention having the second largest city in the MSA and growing at a good pace. 

Just now, Luvemtall said:

Maybe it would be time for any perspective ballpark and/ or entertainment complex , to look into the options that other counties might have to offer. Metro isn’t the only choice they have, Wilson is only a stones throw away from BNA . And Rutherford isn’t out of contention having the second largest city in the MSA and growing at a good pace. 

The Atlanta Braves don’t play in city or county limits, it’s not a requirement 

Have you ever been on an Atlanta highway during peak hours, no different than 1-24 or any highway in or out of Nashville. And don’t know if you’re old enough to remember, but Atlanta wasn’t always the populace it is now. There was a time it wasn’t much more than what Knoxville is today. Times change and growth of the Nashville ring counties is taking place , just as Cobb County did a decade or so ago