Nashville as MLB Expansion/Relocation Market

MLBrumby

Anything can happen when you're talking MLB, as there's even been a recent trend in teams moving to suburban areas in order to control/own the development of the surrounding acreage.  I think this is a ploy by the White Sox to get a better rent deal, but they may see the city call their bluff. In which case, they need a backup. I personally think they should move to a growing market. Chicago is shrinking and the southside is in serious decline. It doesn't help that the affluent population of the metro are die-hard Cubs fans. Not knowing that business, I'd guess the prospective new owners would love a "reason" to pack up and leave; but it's telling to me that the Nashville mayor said he hasn't had any discussions with the team. It just doesn't look like a serious threat to me. 

• Like 4

Just throwing this out there for comments: If the White Sox or the Stars group were to build a major league ballpark here, my thoughts are that the original proposal still has the best location and potential using the location on the river at the pedestrian bridge. The next best is to modify and expand First Horizon Park. Here though is a consideration not yet mentioned I believe. Instead of tearing down Nissan Stadium, why not modify the current stadium structure to retrofit a baseball stadium there. Surely this would cost less even though it would have to be upgraded to correct the issues necessitating the need for new build versus update of the current Nissan stadium. This modification should be funded by the owners interested in bringing a team here and the timetable would allow for work to start after the new stadium is completed for the Titans. Tell me why this could or could not work.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Atlanta is a very different city from Nashville. Atlanta moved its stadium to be near 90% of their season ticket holders, while Nashville would need tourists to fill up the stadium (like Las Vegas). Has to be within the downtown area, and TSU wouldn't be ideal but would work compared to Wilson, Williamson, or Rutherford County. 

As for First Horizon, the only way I think it could work is if The Sounds were bought out, the stadium was torn down, and State of Tennessee deeded the land containing the service center and the new stadium was built on that land and over 5th Ave / John L Lewis Way. 

See crude image below of Target Field (Twins) over the area I am referring. 

image.thumb.png.6e709474674d18e5e1b37e4a26af9b5f.png

Absolutely in no way is the state going to give up a square inch of land on Bicentennial Mall for a stadium.  The land use is for institutional purposes like museums and art functions like theatre and ballet.  A commercial venture like this would violate the purpose of the mall.  You might as well expect D.C. to tear down the Smithsonian for their sports fans.  Not gonna happen.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

It seems like someone or something has brainwashed the people/ natives of Nashville into believing that Atlanta is somehow a mythical fairyland and that there’s no way that Nashville could ever become a peer to it. STOP BELIEVING IN THIS THEORY, I’m tired of always hearing about Atlanta being a different place than here , all cities are different in some ways or another. Start thinking outside the box , outside the suppressed narrative of Nashville not being this or that and not good enough for certain things. At one point not that long ago, cities like Atlanta and Austin were not that impressive, but they started thinking and believing outside of that box and found ways to become bigger and better. Nashville has the same chances and pathways to that success, if everyone can change their mindset and start thinking like a major league player. And yes it is very conceivable that some projects such as MLB ballparks, Theme Parks, NASCAR Tracks and the Big office deals could decide to develop outside of Metro limits. How do you think that Atlanta and Houston etc got to be so successful 

Spot on. 

Edited by Tim29tn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Absolutely in no way is the state going to give up a square inch of land on Bicentennial Mall for a stadium.  The land use is for institutional purposes like museums and art functions like theatre and ballet.  A commercial venture like this would violate the purpose of the mall.  You might as well expect D.C. to tear down the Smithsonian for their sports fans.  Not gonna happen.

I agree. But I'm not proposing anything but built on Bicentennial Mall. Don't be fooled by my poor photoshop skills. 6th Ave N would remain and the stadium wouldn't cross it coming into the mall's territory. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I agree. But I'm not proposing anything but built on Bicentennial Mall. Don't be fooled by my poor photoshop skills. 6th Ave N would remain and the stadium wouldn't cross it coming into the mall's territory. 

Your stadium location IS on Bicentenial Mall.  The entire blocks of land flanking the physical Mall ARE designated as part of it for future state developments.  You misunderstand that the Bicentennial Mall is more than just the central landscaped core.  No commercial venture like a MLB stadium should EVER be considered to be located on it; it should remain noncommercial public functions owned by the State of Tennessee only.  It is not a condidate for commecial development.   Either look closer at rebuilding Horizon Park of\r suggest another location please.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Your stadium location IS on Bicentenial Mall.  The entire blocks of land flanking the physical Mall ARE designated as part of it for future state developments.  You misunderstand that the Bicentennial Mall is more than just the central landscaped core.  No commercial venture like a MLB stadium should EVER be considered to be located on it; it should remain noncommercial public functions owned by the State of Tennessee only.  It is not a condidate for commecial development.   Either look closer at rebuilding Horizon Park of\r suggest another location please.

What is so confusing y'all about not placing commercial sports entity on land that is reserved for State cultural purposes?  At any rate, the photoshopped stadium would never fit on that site anyway as it was reduced in scale from the real size a ballfield stadium  requires, so the issue is moot.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, henburg said:

You're probably right, but it's not as if the Mall has fully lived up to this vision in its current state. Nearly half of the immediate property surrounding it is dedicated to surface parking and the Tennessee Capitol Complex Service Center, which is an incredibly uninviting building. The State has only recently begun showing interest in it. On the other hand, baseball has a huge history in that area and I'd argue that it would be a much better use to help complete the vision for that area than what currently sits there. I think that a park connecting the State Capitol, State Museum, City Farmer's Market, State Library, and an MLB Park would be oddly cohesive and instantly become an awesome neighborhood specifically for locals, which Nashville could definitely use. 

I disagree completely.  I think the relatively new State Museum and Archives facilities are excellent.  I also think the Tennessee Capitol Complex Service Center will eventually go away in favor of more elegant cultural developments, particularly since there is a massive rejuvination of the surrounding neighborhoods with new works.   They did not hesitate to demolish half of the Farmers Market for the new museum, so IMO the rest of the  market too will eventually go away.  Bicentennial Mall is not a commercial project like Nashville Yards as much as many on this forum are impatient to see a full build out.  My own druthers would be to see TPAC rebuilt here instead of across the river with the new Stadium, not just theatre, but pehaps opera and ballet as well combing the performing arts in one facility.  Fortunately the city and Belmont have built magnificent halls, so the state really would not need to build another orcestral hall.   The deveopment  and ultimate buildout of the Mall is not just a 20 year or so project, it may take more decades. Keep in mind that once a new facility is built displacing our future needs, the site is no longer available for more appropriate use.  For our state culturally, it should be viewed more like the National Mall in D.C., but embodying the best of our state.  Why not consider the huge state parking lots beneath the Capitol instead if a MLB stadium really must go in this area?  Certainly it would be totally in keeping with the so called height restictions I always hear about and the underground parking would certaily fill all the needs of the parking for state employees couldn't it? Better access, more land; why not there gang?

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

I do think the if the Stars get their team, it will be at the TSU location and the land will be a no charge deal. The stadium will be done by creative financing with the state and the university with some kind of dual-purpose facility. 

I think that will be the location no matter what we want or don't.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I do think the if the Stars get their team, it will be at the TSU location and the land will be a no charge deal. The stadium will be done by creative financing with the state and the university with some kind of dual-purpose facility. 

I think that will be the location no matter what we want or don't.

The Cumberland River on the west side of town could be fully connected between a MLB complex and eventually all the way to The Nations. Not a terrible situation. 

• Like 1

I’d like to throw my two cents in regarding the several-weeks-old discussion of team name in the event of a relocation. If a team like the White Sox or the Athletics (certainly going to LV) moves here I would 100% be on board with keeping the name of the teams. Both of them are some of the oldest and most storied franchises in MLB and it would be such a slap in the face to baseball fans to get rid of the team names. Plus they both have some of the best looking uniforms and hats in baseball. If it was a team like the Rays I wouldn’t care as much, since they don’t have much history and tbh their uniforms have always been garbage (although I preferred the gaudy Devil Rays unis of the late 90s, early 00’s).  Stars is such a basic and default sports team game, super lame and non-memorable. It’s the name of mediocre 12u travel teams, not an MLB franchise. The original team was only around for a few years in the 1950s and probably 99% of nashvillians have no idea of their existence and don’t care. 

Also, I think a relocation or expansion is more likely if the stadium is located outside of downtown. Full-neighborhood deals like that of the Braves are going to be the way things are done in the future and there’s no room downtown and a slice of land at TSU excites nobody. Downtown is appealing to tourists but season ticket holders are where your $ comes from and a lot of them hate going downtown (or at least a lot of titans season ticket holders I talk to do). The neighborhoods around TSU also aren’t inviting for your average baseball fan. Ironically the Braves relocated away from a neighborhood that was similar to those around TSU, and a huge part of it was nobody wanted to go to games in the neighborhood. I used to go down there and get $1 tickets at the gate in the late 00’s because they couldn’t sell tickets. Building in one of the high population counties around Davidson (Wilson, Sumner, Rutherford, Williamson) gives them the land they need and the sense of safety potential fans want. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bnacincy said:

The Dallas Stars are an NHL hockey team that were originally the Minnesota North Stars (a name chosen by the fans in Minnesota). When they moved to Texas they got rid of the  "North" for obvious reasons but kept the "Stars" name to reflect their new home in the Lone Star State. 

There is no movement I'm aware of to get rid of the name.

The best place for an MLB team for Nashville is the East Bank-any other location would be too far away from downtown-and quite frankly downtown is Nashville's calling card. Nashville is in no way comparable to Atlanta as Nashville is a destination city in ways that Atlanta will never be. Also the East Bank is surrounded by a  growing urban population many of whom have relocated from cities that had their own MLB teams and would be a ready supply of fan support. Not only that, but the East Bank is easily accessible by interstate. MLB has 82 home games a year and I'm sure the city would love to have those folks near downtown spending their money before and after games-so the East Bank would make it easily accessible by walking or a short shuttle bus ride.  In, addition there are no safety issues with regard to the East Bank that I have heard of with regard to the Titans home games. If there were, I doubt that anyone would want to spend 2 billion dollars on a new stadium there.

And this speaks to a larger point about Nashville I want to make. Nashville is rapidly becoming a global destination city-not only that but Nashville's culture-it's music, cuisine and even fashion are spreading all over the world. Nashville is joining the ranks of those few cities like LA, Vegas, Austin, Miami and New York who have a "global fanbase" so to speak. Nashville is not like most other cities and most other cities are not like Nashville and what Nashville does from now on has to reflect that.

So this is why I stand by my assertion that the Nashville Stars is the perfect name for an MLB team-easy to say, easy to remember and evokes images of country music stars dressed to the nines in Rhinestones and other Lower Broadway paraphernalia.

What could be more Nashville than that?

All interesting points. Point of order though, Atlanta receives approximately 4x as many tourists as Nashville annually. But I see your point. 

• Like 1