Nashville as MLB Expansion/Relocation Market

MLBrumby

If ever there’s a Nashville team, IMO it’s going to be an expansion team. And I feel the stadium will be located in a ring county Rutherford or Wilson would be my first guess, Williamson possibly. Only reason is availability , affordability, and accessibility of land. Somewhere along I-840 primarily next to the SuperSpeedway , would be my bet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

7 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

And that's why a future MLB stadium needs to be downtown or on the East Bank.

Gladly, if they can pay for it. After the titans debacle there will not be city money for this. So the owners will need to pay for an expansion fee and a stadium. So you are starting at around 4 billion. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

And that's why a future MLB stadium needs to be downtown or on the East Bank.

3 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

I say this with a LOT of reservations, but I think the only Metro contribution to a MLB stadium would be in the form of Sports Authority Land. Perhaps the parcel that Nissan currently sits , the timing would be on course with a potential expansion of MLB and having Sports Authority oversight and control would be a plus. It would certainly help transform the East Bank plan into reality and create a cohesive environment for family entertainment almost year round with both stadium venues and TPAC the centerpiece of the new neighborhood. 

I still whole heartedly disagree with the East Bank location. If nothing else, the parking demands of two stadiums (and what their franchises would demand within their leases) would absolutely obliterate any possibility of creating a creating a cohesive neighborhood. I don't disagree that that it would create a more year round effect for sports, but we would be talking about two massive structures that would sit empty a large part of the year when not in use. Even if the contribution from Metro was just Sports Authority land, the rent payments made by the MLB team would surely not approach the revenue that the planned developments that the stadium would eliminate would bring in.

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

Hear me out... the site of the US Smokeless Tobacco building. Capitol as the backdrop, right next to park space, the farmers market, interstate access. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3e956de853219498218855c22309293c.jpeg

This is a different idea than what we have heard previously and I don't hate it. Extend the Greenway from Franklin Pierce Park northwards and then cut it along the outfield to tie into Harrison Street and then on to Bi-Centennial. The outfield area could almost create a Camden Yards kind of effect. It breaks the street grid a little bit, but extend Tredco Drive/Herman Street out to Rosa Parks and re-work the entrance to the Farmers Market and 909 Flats and boom. Then convert the Harrison Street/Rosa Parks intersection to a right-in/right-out intersection with a HAWK signal to provide safe crossing for the Greenway and that would be an excellent addition.

Two major variables/hurdles I see there would be. 1) The land value/cost would be astronomical as US Smokeless knows they would be sitting on a gold mine. I also wonder if there would be any form of environmental cleanup from such a facility. 2) The abutting single family will be a difficult adversary to convince. The land itself sits in the Gulch North district of the DTC, but Tredco Drive/Herman Street is the line between Gulch North and the formidable Hope Gardens subdistrict. The largest complaint the neighborhood would probably have is gameday traffic flowing into the streets. I think any stadium agreement there would have to include getting the whole area hemmed in by I-40/Jefferson/Rosa Parks to become permit only parking to give peace of mind to the residents.

image.thumb.png.1139ddc20407e95e6561f59666289bec.png

Or going a step further on the permitted parking and expanding the zone westward all the way to DB Todd. This would grab Fisk University (which maybe they carve something out for themselves) so this whole area (established residents) is a bit more protected from the gameday surges that come in. 

image.thumb.png.267bc6d93838fef158baa1a1ef61a4bb.png

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

I still whole heartedly disagree with the East Bank location. If nothing else, the parking demands of two stadiums (and what their franchises would demand within their leases) would absolutely obliterate any possibility of creating a creating a cohesive neighborhood. I don't disagree that that it would create a more year round effect for sports, but we would be talking about two massive structures that would sit empty a large part of the year when not in use. Even if the contribution from Metro was just Sports Authority land, the rent payments made by the MLB team would surely not approach the revenue that the planned developments that the stadium would eliminate would bring in.

This is a different idea than what we have heard previously and I don't hate it. Extend the Greenway from Franklin Pierce Park northwards and then cut it along the outfield to tie into Harrison Street and then on to Bi-Centennial. The outfield area could almost create a Camden Yards kind of effect. It breaks the street grid a little bit, but extend Tredco Drive/Herman Street out to Rosa Parks and re-work the entrance to the Farmers Market and 909 Flats and boom. Then convert the Harrison Street/Rosa Parks intersection to a right-in/right-out intersection with a HAWK signal to provide safe crossing for the Greenway and that would be an excellent addition.

Two major variables/hurdles I see there would be. 1) The land value/cost would be astronomical as US Smokeless knows they would be sitting on a gold mine. I also wonder if there would be any form of environmental cleanup from such a facility. 2) The abutting single family will be a difficult adversary to convince. The land itself sits in the Gulch North district of the DTC, but Tredco Drive/Herman Street is the line between Gulch North and the formidable Hope Gardens subdistrict. The largest complaint the neighborhood would probably have is gameday traffic flowing into the streets. I think any stadium agreement there would have to include getting the whole area hemmed in by I-40/Jefferson/Rosa Parks to become permit only parking to give peace of mind to the residents.

image.thumb.png.1139ddc20407e95e6561f59666289bec.png

Or going a step further on the permitted parking and expanding the zone westward all the way to DB Todd. This would grab Fisk University (which maybe they carve something out for themselves) so this whole area (established residents) is a bit more protected from the gameday surges that come in. 

image.thumb.png.267bc6d93838fef158baa1a1ef61a4bb.png

Finding the best and right location inside the Downtown area will always come with obstacles and objections, as you have mentioned many times the drawbacks of the East Bank, there’s also drawbacks with almost any intercity location. That’s why I will stick to my idea, that if and when this happens it will not be in Davidson County. Not trying to be negative or disrespectful, but I feel that from what I’ve been reading that the baseball group is ultimately looking for a large tract of land to not only build a stadium, but a entertainment destination. Jamming a stadium into any neighborhood and having definite boundaries that infringe upon the surrounding community isn’t the feeling I’m getting from them.  So if not the East Bank with its large canvas on which to build upon, I truly believe that the possibility exists that they really consider an outlining County. My money is on the 840 corridor, be it Williamson, Rutherford or Wilson.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 9:59 AM, PaulChinetti said:

Hear me out... the site of the US Smokeless Tobacco building. Capitol as the backdrop, right next to park space, the farmers market, interstate access. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3e956de853219498218855c22309293c.jpeg

Not  a great location IMO.  Remember the Farmer's Market is on borrowed time as there will be further large buildings  along the Bicentennial Mall to be built and the Market certaily to be relocated.  Don't you recall half of the market was lost for the State Museum?  I think the rosd accesss sucks for a stadium location with NO good interstate access.  I think the SF residences would be pissed off mightily from the noise and traffic also.  With the ONLY interstate accesses being at Rosa Parks and at Charlotte. I think this is a lousy location for handing big traffic generating facilities.  The I-40 junction design precludes further exchanges being built. 

Edited by Baronakim

3 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

My goodness that is far away from "it" all. 

The trend in stadiums is moving closer to everything not farther away. I don't see how this would make sense. ESPECIALLY with no way to get down there besides driving.

I know this is hard to realize but for the majority of people that don’t live in Nashville , they DON’T want to drive into Nashville. A MLB team in Nashville will have a larger market than just the Metropolitan Area , so putting it outside of the city will actually benefit a vast majority of the perspective fan base. And if you’re referring to “it all” as the entertainment district of lower Broadway, that’s not necessarily on everyone’s radar. I know, I know it’s hard to believe but I deal with and meet a lot of people, and most of them often say they prefer not to have to drive in Nashville 

Edited by Luvemtall

53 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

I know this is hard to realize but for the majority of people that don’t live in Nashville , they DON’T want to drive into Nashville. A MLB team in Nashville will have a larger market than just the Metropolitan Area , so putting it outside of the city will actually benefit a vast majority of the perspective fan base. And if you’re referring to “it all” as the entertainment district of lower Broadway, that’s not necessarily on everyone’s radar. I know, I know it’s hard to believe but I deal with and meet a lot of people, and most of them often say they prefer not to have to drive in Nashville 

From my experience, people who don't live in the city don't like to drive/travel to the city. People who live in the city like the conveniences of the city and don't want to leave the city. I have had folks tell me that Mass Transit takes away their freedom because they cannot move around at the exact moment they want to move around. 

I don't necessarily think the "it all" comment refers to Lower Broadway specifically. I think that is a part of "it all" but for many folks that has nothing to do with it. This is why it is important for Nashville to have all these different "nodes" around the city. It allows different things to develop around them and the city to grow from a cultural and social standpoint. I still stand by the TSU site (and many folks I have spoken to agree with my rationale) because it can serve as the third "node" for the city to develop around. MLS/Racetrack + NFL/TPAC + MLB/??? serve as a backbone to connect and develop within. Access is a design problem and can be solved with design. 

This is why a market study is being done to truly understand the metrics and weight them against the costs. From a marketability standpoint I would think Nashville far outpaces the other venues because of the shots around and outside the stadium. That being said, there would be nothing stopping and MLB from getting B roll of Nashville for their broadcasts and then turning inward to the MLB stadium. NFL does that with Gillette Stadium constantly. I hate that because it essentially means we are okay designing something that completely turns inward rather than having a structure with an internal use, but also serves as part of our built environment and contributes in that way. I believe the urban venues are much better at serving the built environment and the people within it. Statistically, it most likely also serves the diverse range of people within the built environment.

• Like 3

Yes, the Market Study will be an interesting read. There’s really pro’s and con’s with almost any probable scenario of location. Ultimately it’s going to come down to what the money people want, and then we can all start a new conversation about their strategy. 

• Like 2

I believe they were suggesting a retractable roof , at least in the first renditions. Mark , you make a lot of great points and I think you’re very right about that. Which goes directly back at the fact that if the goal would be to capture “it all” as both you and Paul have been talking about., Then the choice of the Sports Authority Land on The East Bank remains a top consideration . As Its also has been mentioned, there are hurtles to that scenario but considering all the other options it really seems the most appropriate option.

• Like 1