Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Not  a peep, but will look into it.

Thanks, Ron.  

23 minutes ago, ArchitectBarbie said:

Have heard Walgreens.

That's what I heard at first and then CVS was mentioned.  It reminded me of the 'Rumor' or 'Telephone' game we played in high school.

This type of store has been high on the wish list for downtown residents for many years.

No offense to the folks who operated CityFire, but as an occasional visitor to see friends who live in the Gulch, I can attest that a downsized Walgreens, CVS or even something like Dollar General's new DG concept might be appreciated more than another restaurant -- especially with big hotel/residential projects continuing to sprout up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The developers for 1300 Jefferson Street (3 stories, 24 units, ground level retail) received approval from MDHA Design Review Committee on Tues. for concept plan.  Another rendering has been made available.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21143358/image-released-for-jefferson-street-project

1300 Jefferson, Oct 19, 2020, render.png

• Like 3

Who owns downtown Nashville and what should its future be? Multiple stakeholders and conversations are needed to create a balanced lifestyle on Lower Broad beyond just Nashville's famed honky-tonks.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/columnists/2020/10/16/downtown-nashville-tennessee-honky-tonk-tourists-broadway/3646030001/?fbclid=IwAR1dfjv8SBUXP7gOrBZx3B0LYYi7cMUi-D33xTSwjSiRIM8023DhACoa1pU

Even though this is an opinion article, there are great points made. I think there should be a district where these "honkey tonks" are allowed and then areas where they are not. Lets call then entertainment districts. If you zone an area for this and you keep the monster in the fence so to speak you will at some point curb some of the uncontrolled "goofy growth" that is happening down there.  

This also goes back to the conversation about transportainment on another thread yesterday. This needs to be regulated HEAVILY and limited to a certain zone.

I do think Covid may yet be the demise of some of these business on lower Broad, but unfortunately it will be bad for everyone. The second wave is now upon us and it is about to get worse, I have not been to a sit down restaurant or a bar since February and will not go to one till this is over and that may well be late next year if then. Now the tourist may continue to flock to lower Broad but if it gets bad, I am unsure of the outcome.

22 minutes ago, titanhog said:

But we're talking about a specific 5-6 blocks of Lower Broadway...a section that was a cesspool just 30 years ago.  The author acts like the entire city has now turned into one giant honky tonk...but the honky tonks are mainly just in that one section of the city.  Get away from that one little stretch of the city and there are hotels, museums, condos, etc.  There is plenty of land and plenty of buildings for companies to create whatever business they want to create to cater to locals...and I promise you, if there's money to be made, someone will create that business somewhere in the downtown area.

If Covid makes it where these businesses fail and there's suddenly a demand for something else down there that keeps downtown Nashville thriving...then great.  

Exactly.  I am all for diversifying a city's entertainment options overall, but in the case of Lower Broad we are talking about a few blocks.  What's wrong with letting that be a honky tonk district?  There is plenty of space in this city, even just off Lower Broad if that's where you want to be, to put entertainment businesses of other types.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I think the museums are a pretty huge deal. Especially once the African American Music one opens in 5th and Broad.

Agreed, I think the main thing missing from the quote/unquote core is another grocery and some more stores of that nature. More day to day life type of things.

We could use a Target or similar. Maybe a Walgreens/CVS in the gulch. Would’ve loved for H&M to stay a part of 5th and Broadway. 

Between Turnip Truck, Whole Foods, Publix, Walgreens on 5th, and DGX on third, the core is pretty well served on the grocery front. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

We could use a Target or similar. Maybe a Walgreens/CVS in the gulch. Would’ve loved for H&M to stay a part of 5th and Broadway. 

Between Turnip Truck, Whole Foods, Publix, Walgreens on 5th, and DGX on third, the core is pretty well served on the grocery front. 

Good point. 

The southside of the gulch say between like 8th and 12th could use something, especially with all those new apartments going in and that area starting to fill up. But that's just being picky at that point and thinking of wedgewood/chestnut hill/trevveca area, not many options there but that's more the... outer inner core, HA.

Another thing to consider is that 5+B was established to bring in something different to that area...but as we're seeing, it still doesn't look like retail demand in the area is enough to have many major retailers dying to be there...so far.  I don't think anything is going to change in that area until an obvious demand reaches critical mass. 

• Like 2