Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

13 hours ago, markhollin said:

... It's really poor stewardship otherwise on their part. 

Why would that be poor stewardship? That is your view and that is never a nice thing to say. I think it's time we demo the Batman building for a new tall skinny, maybe a duplex. While we're at it, see if you can get CSX to give all their tracks in Davidson County to WeGo for mass transit. Did Joy Ford also have really poor stewardship? 

21 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

I think it's time we demo the Batman building for a new tall skinny, maybe a duplex. While we're at it, see if you can get CSX to give all their tracks in Davidson County to WeGo for mass transit. 

Mark gives a hypothetical example of what he believes would be poor stewardship, so you respond with your own hypothetical examples of even worse stewardship? 

We call out land owners and developers here for poor stewardship on a daily basis (see Eakin, Beaman, the city), so I'm not even sure what point you're tying to make unless it's a special case in your opinion because a church is involved.

• Like 1

My point on "poor stewardship" is that Central Church of Christ could make a whole lot MORE money by creating a sale of that parking lot that includes them participating in the profits of the additional parking levels that could be created beyond the 50 or so that are on the current surface.  With more money, they could do more ministry.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

My point on "poor stewardship" is that Central Church of Christ could make a whole lot MORE money by creating a sale of that parking lot that includes them participating in the profits of the additional parking levels that could be created beyond the 50 or so that are on the current surface.  With more money, they could do more ministry.   

But it's not all about making more money to support ministries around the world.  It could also be that the lot is convenient Sunday / Wednesday parking for their older members who struggle with mobility.  Either way, I doubt them holding onto the lot is just out of stubbornness or lack of stewardship.  I'm sure they have a reason...just like all the owners of the other 50+ surface lots in the downtown area have their reasons.

• Like 2

So why didn't you say "missing out on an opportunity" instead of being negative with "poor stewardship"? When you write with your emotions, you choose words unwisely

On 7/30/2018 at 3:14 PM, markhollin said:

Nashville Electric Service officials are looking to move a power  substation and build a parking garage above it on their North Gulch property, and include a decorative “privacy fence” designed to conceal the inner workings.

The site is along 11th Ave. North and the Church Street Viaduct.

The substation at nearby 10th Ave. North and adjacent to the downtown YMCA. would be relocated to the site. In addition, a parking deck would be constructed over the substation.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21015641/nes-looks-to-reinvent-north-gulch-site

NES substation, Church and 11th, Juy 30, 2018, render.png

NES substation, Church and 11th, Juy 30, 2018, location.png

It looks like this project is underway. Can anyone confirm ?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

I wasn't writing emotionally.  I believe it is poor stewardship from a practical standpoint.  My father was a pastor with an Accounting Masters who had to work hard to solve  financial issues he inherited at several churches he served.  Additionally, I was on the Board of Elders at several congregations for decades, and I know of the financial challenges that most churches face.  From what I understand, Central Church of Christ is struggling on several levels. It would seem that there are options that could help them if they were open to them.

There are numerous churches in NYC that  are selling their "air rights" to developers and receiving tens of millions of dollars to further their outreach in the community as a result.  I'm not saying we are in the air rights area for Central Church of Christ yet...just using this as an example of creative ways to utilize their holdings for long-term good. 

I am in leadership at a church downtown with a parking lot - not Central -- and I think the stewardship term is a fair one.  I wouldn't be quick to judge whether that church in particular is exercising good or bad stewardship, though.  The church may feel it is in their mission to remain downtown and minister downtown, or may be receiving significant income off the lot already and may not have received a good offer to sell/develop. I can tell you that my own church has been approached several times regarding its parking lot, and the offers we have received have been lower than the present value of the income stream from parking, let alone the true value of the land, and most would have required the church to relocate.  Many churches also lack the financial sophistication to understand that an "air rights" type deal could be possible, so won't be proactive in looking for those deals - if they are even available in the Nashville market.   

• Like 4

"Poor stewardship" is not an emotionally charged phrase.  On the other hand, believing or projecting that "poor stewardship" is an emotionally charged phrase is certainly more the result of an emotional reaction than a rational one.  

I think LA_TN is an essential poster and the board is much better off for his presence, but if we're not here in part to discuss the choices made by landowners as to how to utilize their property- taking into account not just what we imagine to be the landowner/developer's perspective, but also our own perspectives and what we think is best for the city - then I'm not sure what we're doing here.  

Edited by ruraljuror
  • Like 3

I  think Musketeer hit the nail on the head with their post. I do believe some developers try to low ball churches because they think the can get away with it. Also Titanhog made a great point about parking for their members. Parking downtown is very expensive now, even on Sundays and churches that are remaining struggle with that and keeping members because of that. 

The Christ Church Cathedral did a land lease where by they still own the land where the 127 Rosa project is set to go and we may see more of that in the coming years.

I would not be surprised if the First Baptist Church may do the same thing with Metro when and if Metro decides to expand the CC space for their parking lot at 6th and Demonbreun.

Lets move on before we kill the horse we are beating.

• Like 3

On 8/10/2019 at 9:42 PM, LA_TN said:

Why would that be poor stewardship? That is your view and that is never a nice thing to say. I think it's time we demo the Batman building for a new tall skinny, maybe a duplex. While we're at it, see if you can get CSX to give all their tracks in Davidson County to WeGo for mass transit. Did Joy Ford also have really poor stewardship? 

Thoughts and prayers.

• Haha 1

One hotelier has purchased the empty 3.06 acre lot at 261 French Landing Dr. from another for $3 million.  This is a 50% increase in price over what was paid for the site  just two years ago. This lot is adjacent to Candlewood Suites.  No word on the exact plans as of yet.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21082239/hotel-developer-pays-3m-for-metrocenter-site

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 1.43.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 1.42.51 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'Tis a shame that this may come down.  The Trail West Building at 126 2nd Ave. South (4 stories, 23,200 sq. ft. built in 1905) is being considered for demolition because of safety concerns.  The boot tenant moved out several seeks ago due to the deteriorating condition of the structure. Sources said the building is unsafe and not salvageable. One wall is structurally comprised, for example. 

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21082300/historic-sobro-building-could-be-razed

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 2.56.02 PM.png

• Sad 4

I have known this one was in bad shape for a long time. I did not know is was not repaired from the flood of the 20s, but I knew one of the walls looked very unstable as well as the top floor.

Hopefully the replacement will be a historical replica. Not sure if Trail West will survive either as the locations for them to move to are limited.

Just now, PaulChinetti said:

So does the owner just not give a crap about the building? How has it gotten so bad?

Was not the fault of the current owner as this goes back to damage almost 100 years ago that was never repaired.

• Like 2

'Tis a shame that this may come down.  The Trail West Building at 126 2nd Ave. South (4 stories, 23,200 sq. ft. built in 1905) is being considered for demolition because of safety concerns.  The boot tenant moved out several seeks ago due to the deteriorating condition of the structure. Sources said the building is unsafe and not salvageable. One wall is structurally comprised, for example. 

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21082300/historic-sobro-building-could-be-razed

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 2.56.02 PM.png

This is not surprising anymore in Nashville