Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

23 hours ago, dxfret said:

What has happened to the plans to build a pedestrian bridge from the Gulch to SoBro?  It seems that this was announced years ago, yet nothing has materialized.  Any info?

I think that there are other factors that are keeping this project on hold than  speculations on political aspects concerning the mayor.  Two new developments have occurred since the original bridge was first proposed., whether or not they have a chance of success.  Also there was quite a bit of blowback when the magnificent cable stayed design was nixed in favour of a more prosaic trussed structure...which I though rather ugly.  Mainly, there has emerged possibility that CSX may actually abandon yard operations in the Gulch and reduce the number of tracks to 3 or hopefully even 2.  This would create  developable and marketable real estate  on Pine Street.. as well as between Nashville Yards and Asurion.  There has already been investigation by developers of the triangular plot from Pine to the bridge over 8th.  Narrowing of the Yard would create quite a different plot configuration of the land.  More importantly, it would obliviate the need for a very difficult design for the Pine Street end of the bridge as well as shortening the span required.  This has huge cost saving implications.  At the other end, the Station District project has also  created new opportunities  affecting the bridge design.  It is yet to be seen whether or not the first tower of this ambitious project will begin construction in the near future as we are led to believe (and hope for).  At any rate, either or both of these projects impact the design of any pedestrian bridge to be built and surely, if either criteria changes from the current bridge designs, the bridge will have to be completely redesigned to a more cost effective one.  And hopefully, I might say, a more appealing design than the that presently offered.

Edited by Baronakim
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, donNdonelson2 said:

“Explaining to people how to walk around is always interesting.” 

There’s always Google maps. (It’s a sixteen minute walk from the Omni Hotel to Biscuit Love. How much is it worth to cut three minutes off that walk?)

808A3858-8C39-4101-858D-CA80156C928A.jpeg

The reality of the situation and the impetus for the pedestrian bridge is the fact that routing visitors by the large gatherings of homeless on 8th Avenue sidewalks and the nasty walk under the railroad bridge (which is tantamount to begging for a mugging in the evening) is completely undesirable.  Rather the routing by the new 805 Lea tower and Cummings Station is the more desirable  solution.   Of course this is ugly but starkly realistic in human terms.  Your 3 minutes is irrevelant in this case.

• Like 3

Is there a new gathering spot for the homeless between the Music City Center and the JWMarriott that I’m missing? Have they relocated from Church Street Park? (You are going to encounter homeless people and panhandling everywhere downtown, unfortunately. They will be on a new $20million pedestrian bridge, too!)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

No, not new at all my friend.  Maybe you have spent too much time fixating on Tony G and the Church Street Park to notice the 30 to 40 homeless usually at Drexel Street and 8th Avenue S. sitting on the sidewalks of Drexel and 8th overflowing from the Mission and Room at the Inn.  It has been that way for years.  The area at Music City Center and the JWMarriot is considerably more upscale and less attractive for the homeless to hang out comfortably.   And the pedestrian bridge never was $20 million either.  It was originally $18 million reduced to about $12 million with the current design.  Reducing the span and redesign should allow it to be built for under $10 million.

Or they can walk down Demonbreun to Gulch Crossing and get to the Gulch that way.

• Like 1

Willie B's Daiquiri Bar and Kitchen will open late this year at 918 Buchanan St.  This is another hopeful sign in the resurgence of the Buchanan corridor. The 1 story structure, which as built in 1960, will cover 3,700 square feet and is expected to seat 220 people.  A Metro permit values construction work for the project at $40,000. Vivid1 Architecture is doing the design.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/08/26/new-daiquiri-bar-coming-to-north-nashvilles.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

918 Buchanan St, Willie Bs, Aug 26, 2019, site.png

918 Buchanan St, Willie Bs, Aug 26, 2019, site logo.png

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AronG said:

Homeless dudes aside, a stroll across a pedestrian bridge would be infinitely more pleasant than hoofing it on Demonbreun or 8th/Gleaves. The vibe on both of those sidewalks is decidedly pedestrian hostile. Narrow sidewalks with cars whizzing by inches away, etc. Investing in pedestrian infrastructure like this (which is funded using the property taxes from the areas around it) makes sense for plenty of reasons other than shaving 3 minutes off a particular route.

Not tp mention trying to cross at the Round-about or in the crosswalk at Drexel. Drivers DO NOT stop for the flashing pedestrian crossing lights and are going a good 10 above the 35 mph speed limit.

Metro cops are pretty worthless when it comes to traffic enforcement in this city. I think that is probably due to low moral, bad leadership and being undermanned. They are quick to write a parking ticket though.

• Like 3

On 8/25/2019 at 1:59 PM, nashvylle said:

I think CSX has slowed it down, and politically it’s not good press to be the mayor authorizing this construction during budgetary issues

If I had this conversation with someone from the board, I apologize for the redundant information. I was talking about the CSX land deal for a new development along Pine Street (which would also shorten the bridge) and I was told that the deal had fallen through and the CSX tracks were going to remain for the time being. That's not to say another potential partner comes along, but that will certainly slow the bridge  project down. 

FWIW, I believe the bridge is an essential part of infrastructure that definitely should be built. I have no idea how to fund it, but I would prefer a private/public partnership (*cough* station district owner *cough*) to help fund the bridge. 

• Like 2