Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

NES substation at 11th Ave. North update. Surprised that there will be core drilling and blasting on this.  Thought it was going to be built on the surface. 

Looking west from 11th Ave. North, 1/2 block north of Church Street Viaduct:

NES Substation, 11th Ave North, Aug 18, 2019, 1.jpg

Looking NW  from 11th Ave. North, 1/2 block north of Church Street Viaduct:

NES Substation, 11th Ave North, Aug 18, 2019, 2.jpg

• Like 4

Brooklyn Bowl inside the new Sounds Retail Building (2 stories, 60,000 sq. ft. at the SW corner of 3rd  Ave. North and Jackson St) ha landed another $1.8 million permit for interior construction.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/construction/article/21082953/permit-patrol-19-august-2019

• Like 1

The Capitol Hotel (711 Union St.) has been approved by the MDHA Design Review Committee today for the 5 story, 29 room addition to the 99 room hotel that would face Polk St. (across from the Ben West Library Building, which is now home to Hastings Architecture).  The addition will cover about 10,500 more sq. ft.  Studio A Architects out of Louisville is in charge of the design, with Ragan-Smith Assoc. also participating.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21083330/mdha-approves-downtown-hotel-addition

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 7.51.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 7.52.09 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dxfret said:

What has happened to the plans to build a pedestrian bridge from the Gulch to SoBro?  It seems that this was announced years ago, yet nothing has materialized.  Any info?

I think CSX has slowed it down, and politically it’s not good press to be the mayor authorizing this construction during budgetary issues

Sound Retail Building (2 stories, 60,000 sq. ft.) update.  Brick work complete on north end--and quite nicely done. This is going to be a handsome addition to the ballpark complex.

Looking SW from intersection of Jackson St. and 3rd Ave. North:

Sounds Retail, Aug 24, 2019, 1.jpg

Looking NW from 3rd Ave. North,  1/2 block north of Stockyard St:

Sounds Retail, Aug 24, 2019, 12jpg.jpg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I think CSX has slowed it down, and politically it’s not good press to be the mayor authorizing this construction during budgetary issues

If Cooper wins the runoff, is this project likely to get nixed since he's vowed to spread the wealth away from downtown?

13 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

If Cooper wins the runoff, is this project likely to get nixed since he's vowed to spread the wealth away from downtown?

It's hard to say. I tried to ask him specifically about it a while back but he went off on an old man rant.

He is very much in favor of increasing green space, greenways, and sidewalk connectivity so I would not say it is a sure thing. The bridge has also been VE'ed to death so it is not as much of a financial hit as it was before (the engineering for the old design(s) being a sunk cost at this point).

I would say the major uncertainty with the bridge is the long-term status of Kayne Yard. It doesn't make much sense to build a bridge over land that could be developed in the near future; CSX has shot down purchase proposals so far but the fact that they are willing to consider it is more telling than anything else. Metro has a new consultant on board but if Cooper is going to do anything it would be to stop work until there is closure with the rail yard.

• Like 3

With the way the areas have developed in the past 5 years I think if the pedestrian bridge is built it would be used more by people in SoBro heading to the Gulch instead of for its original purpose of linking residents in the Gulch to SoBro.

As someone who works in and also lives near SoBro, I go to the Gulch far more often to meet up with friends who live there or clients who work there, than they come to me in SoBro. The Gulch is a much more established and fully fleshed-out neighborhood, especially for residents (retail, full service restaurants, gyms, etc.), while SoBro is heavily catered to the 9-5 business crowd and/or convention-goers/tourists/special events.