Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

On 9/30/2018 at 8:26 AM, markhollin said:

Gino’s East Pizza update.  Complete gutting of former Sole Mio Restaurant underway.

Looking west across 3rd Ave. South, 1/2 block north of KVB:

Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 8.25.15 AM.png

There were workers on site here this morning pulling down plywood. Hopefully getting the ball rolling more.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I would not waste my time until dirt starts moving. Besides  developments need to be closer to downtown. The more development you have in areas like this the more it takes away from the core.

Wrong place, wrong time, and probably not going to happen. I have serious doubts about River North. Ewing says that Dallas was 1.8 million in 1980 and 6 million now and that Nashville is heading that way. We will not even think about 6 million here for a long, long time.

DFW is the 4th largest city in the country.  This project should develop on its own without government help, so it's probably about 15 years before its time.

Very excited about this. I'm not even picky what ends up here height-wise (within reason, of course), so long as it has some street activation. It's a win-win for the church's long term financial security, the developer, and the city if this gets pulled off  with some level of finesse. One less parking lot!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I would not waste my time until dirt starts moving. Besides  developments need to be closer to downtown. The more development you have in areas like this the more it takes away from the core.

Wrong place, wrong time, and probably not going to happen. I have serious doubts about River North. Ewing says that Dallas was 1.8 million in 1980 and 6 million now and that Nashville is heading that way. We will not even think about 6 million here for a long, long time.

I hope everyone in Metro treats these guys like a total joke. They bought some land at bargain basement prices and they're trying to pump up the value with some renderings and a PR campaign. Much more in common with Maytown than River North. River North is a plausible if ambitious concept that could actually come to fruition in some form over the next 10 or 20 (or 30) years as the east bank finally transitions away from industrial wasteland. It's across the river from Germantown instead of the CBD, but with a couple of bridges and interstate overpasses you can at least connect it with street grids on either side and patch it into Nashville's evolving urban fabric. Proposing skyscrapers on West Trinity across the river from MetroCenter is a transparent effort to get public infrastructure $ in an area that makes no sense for the city.

• Like 4

One of my favorite old structures downtown is up for sale again. Built in the 1890s, the 6,535 sq. ft. home/small warehouse at 4 Berrien on Rutledge Hill is on the market for $2.35 million.  Could make an excellent restaurant or hip office space. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21024900/downtown-office-building-listed-for-sale-for-235m

1351890767_ScreenShot2018-10-01at9_34_49AM.png.409a7c5d81200f65499b967e99a8e1c2.png&key=4ab86ba6446a6f137c8ea0dd75be25b5df81805213ea8ada674ffba1399f41e0

897128579_ScreenShot2018-10-01at9_34_59AM.png.5f7a1df50a098ae9636bce12a94cf676.png&key=f293aedaaa93f589b32140b8a9c8a20997d342135a4058a813721e528691c133

Do you think that the structure could be possibly in danger for the sake of future development? That would be horrible.

On 9/28/2018 at 7:32 AM, Nashville Cliff said:

Is this already posted somewhere?  Didn't see it. Sorry if a cross-post.

Silly proposal up north

"Hey, build me three bridges, and I'll build another downtown along West Trinity."  Maytown Redux?

"Upscale urban core" sounds far-fetched. Can't argue with the fact that the area could use development -- but more along the lines of mid-range dining and shopping currently lacking in North Nashville (think TJ Maxx, Hobby Lobby, Home Depot, etc.) and maybe small business offices.  Those seem like natural fits as opposed to anything upscale, and they still have potential to draw from Germantown, MetroCenter and several neighborhoods and wouldn't require major infrastructure such as new bridges.

• Like 1

OakPoint Real Estate has acquired the top 6 floors of office space, known as CitySpace, in the Renaissance Hotel Building for $21.5 million.  It encompasses nearly 100,000 sq. ft. It is already about 90% leased.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21025467/oakpoint-buys-office-space-at-renaissance-hotel

And behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/10/03/revamped-investor-snags-sky-high-office-space.html

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 3.11.43 PM.png

• Like 4

On 9/28/2018 at 9:36 PM, Mr_Bond said:

Having watched this market for a little over 25 years, I could not agree more.  If you have your hopes set on 900' towers, you will not be disappointed.  They will arrive in 10 years, if not sooner.  A couple of friends sold their homes in '94 within 1 day of listing for prices above their asking price.  This trend has continued, more or less, since then.

This is why it is sooooooo important for us to keep this city safe, friendly, Southern, and welcoming.  These are some of the primary virtues that draw people to us.  We should go out of our way to be kind to people, including scooter riders who drop the f-bomb on us.  We should spread kindness and respect.  People want to be around people who care and are kind.  Eventually, these traits will result in a city of large, beautiful buildings because it is a city of kind, beautiful people.

Rant over.

On 9/28/2018 at 8:39 PM, Pdt2f said:

Well, look at that picture of the area. Sooooo much developable land. Personally right now I’d rather them be building 20 something story towers that add density, activate streets, and increase options for living, working, etc in the core than a few Houston-style isolated 80 story towers. The big boys will come soon enough if empty lots keep filling. Maybe not in this boom cycle, but most certainly the next. 

You see Atlanta?

That's Nashville future in the next 25 years. 

https://www.sobrosnetwork.com/2018/06/21/nashville-growth-atlanta/

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, markhollin said:

OakPoint Real Estate has acquired the top 6 floors of office space, known as CitySpace, in the Renaissance Hotel Building for $21.5 million.  It encompasses nearly 100,000 sq. ft. It is already about 90% leased.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21025467/oakpoint-buys-office-space-at-renaissance-hotel

And behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/10/03/revamped-investor-snags-sky-high-office-space.html

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 3.11.43 PM.png

Has this always been office space? If so, I had no idea. 

8 minutes ago, nashvillwill said:

Has this always been office space? If so, I had no idea. 

Yes, the hotel developed, Ted Welch, had office space in the tower since it opened. He passed several years ago.

5 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

What Atlanta? 2018 Atlanta? Christ no. 1990s Atlanta? Mayyybe, with some caveats.

First of all, that article is terribly written. It's not that there aren't a few solid points in there -- but it comes up way short in analysis.  It's like if Someone in Green Hills says "we're becoming the next Atlanta!" and you say "how is that?" and they say "big buildings and traffic!" and link you to an article about population growth.

The biggest reason we are becoming the "next Atlanta" is that we are in the same region, and share a lot of the same culture, geographic and development qualities that they do...as well as a lot of the same attitudes. There is urban/suburban sprawl everywhere, but it takes a slightly different shape depending on the region. It should be no shock that Nashville would follow an Atlanta-like trajectory rather than say, Denver, Phoenix, Seattle, Miami, Houston, etc.  Even relative peer cities Indianapolis and Columbus aren't exactly good easy comparisons.

You want to avoid becoming like Atlanta? Plan for growth, don't react to it.

The funny thing about explosive growth (which is what Nashville is experiencing) is that you can never really plan for it. It happens so fast that leaders will always be playing catch up when it comes to addressing the problems resulting from overcrowding. It's idealistic to think otherwise.

Those other cities are suffering from their own problems as a result of explosive growth as well. Seattle is facing the worst homelessness crisis in the country, largely because of its land restraints. Same goes for Denver. As far as Phoenix, they're forever going to have fresh water supply issues hanging over their heads. And going forward, Miami / Houston will have to worry about if they'll be engulfed by water as the sea levels continue to rise over the next few decades.

Now, the other option is to make Nashville such a relatively awful place to live that transplants and big corporations stop moving there in droves. But do you really want that? Because that'll come with different types of problems.

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

I always find this Atlanta comparison somewhat humorous.  30 years ago, our metro was at about 1.3 million, and Atlanta was over double that at 2.85 million.  In the past 3 decades, we have grown about 650,000  to 1.95 million (50% growth rate).  Atlanta has added 3,150,000 and is now up to just a shade under 6 million (111% growth).  We won't hit the population of Atlanta's size of 1988 for another 10 years.   And, if rates stay the same, we won't catch their current size until, well... a long time from now.  

Atlanta has the busiest airport in THE WORLD at 104 MILLION passengers this past year (Beijing is at 97 million, Dubai at 92 million, etc.).  Atlanta is home to DOZENS of major corporations. Atlanta has NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS, and NASCAR (plus major collegiate sports and successful minor league baseball and hockey). Atlanta has, quite clearly, established itself as the epicenter of the Southeast.  We will never get close to that...and honestly, I wouldn't want to try to compete.  

The Atlanta comparison wasn't meant to be taken literally.

My point was, like Atlanta, Nashvillle isn't going to remain the same as it continues to rapidly grow. Its culture will evolve as it matures into a larger city, but only time will tell in what way. You can either embrace it, or you can explore other ways to react to it.

In any event, it was an off-topic discussiom in the first place. I'll stop contributing to it.

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, urbanplanet17 said:

The Atlanta comparison wasn't meant to be taken literally.

My point was, like Atlanta, Nashvillle isn't going to remain the same as it continues to rapidly grow. Its culture will evolve as it matures into a larger city, but only time will tell in what way. You can either embrace it, or you can explore other ways to react to it.

In any event, it was an off-topic discussiom in the first place. I'll stop contributing to it.

I think there's a lot we can learn from Atlanta (and our other southern big siblings like Dallas, Houston, etc.). Sure they're decades ahead of us, but that's the point. I've gotten kind of addicted, for example, to following the development of the BeltLine as it progresses. It's an awesome effort that would be even better if they'd started on it 20 years ago. It's based on an attractive and ambitious long-term plan that makes sense for a livable city, but doesn't require a huge up-front investment and can be built out incrementally. That's something we can aspire to.

• Like 4

The Goldbergs have an aggressive timetable to open their new Broadway attraction to be called Downtown Sporting Club that is replacing Paradis Park: End of April, 2019.  A bit more detail on what is being done:

• The first floor will include a restaurant open from breakfast through late into the evening, a bar, a Crema coffee shop, small retail area and an information desk with details about the sporting club and other area venues.
  • The second floor, dubbed "The Rec Room," will feature axe throwing, a 13-foot projection screen for watching sports, multiple bars and "old-fashioned game options."
  • The third floor will have 20 short-term rentals for people who want to spend the night. The offerings include king beds, queen beds and bunk beds.
  • A garden-inspired rooftop will feature fire pits and trellises.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/10/04/goldbergs-peel-back-the-curtains-set-aggressive.html
  • Like 4