Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I think Commerce has real potential and is going to change a ton over the next few years. Nashville Yards is talking about activating Commerce down at their end. A block up from that is the project that HRI will do on the Christ Church parking lot between 8th and 9th. Yes the new federal courthouse won’t add street activation, but at least it won’t be worse than the parking lot that was there. The Commerce side of 5th and Broad is going to add to the street. I’m also watching the two small parking lots at Commerce and 5th. I assume those will fill in at some point. All told, I think Commerce is going to evolve.

• Like 4

State officials this week approved a Saint Thomas Health-Acadia Healthcare proposal to build a 76-bed behavioral health hospital in MetroCenter.  The $32 million facility will include 40 adult psychiatric beds and 36 geriatric psychiatric beds.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/health-care/hospital-management/article/21029348/state-oks-saint-thomasacadia-project

St Thomas Health, Metro Center, May 10, 2018, render 1.png

St Thomas Health, Metro Center, May 10, 2018, map 1.png

St Thomas Health, Metro Center, May 10, 2018, map 2.png

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AronG said:

...there are plenty of ways to get to the same places. Decisions like these to build and maintain huge overpasses with interstate-style on-ramps in crowded and valuable urban spaces just to shave a minute or two off of a small subset of commuter times are the types of bad planning choices we need to figure out how to unwind.

Spot on!!!

My mind can't begin to grasp the amount of unwinding we would need to do in Nashville. 

On 10/26/2018 at 3:13 PM, nashvylle said:

I may be in the minority here, but I happen to like the winding intersecting roads here and hope they can lead to interesting developments. The more I see the boxed blocks, the more I envision another boxy suntrust plaza going on top. 

I tend to agree with these sentiments when it adds to the character of the city. This though is not one of those instances. We are essentially seeing the start of a freeway/expressway/oversized thoroughfare at this point. If the suggested re-routing was ever to be established, you have the potential to have very interesting, urban friendly developments. With its proximity to Nashville Yards (when complete) and the downtown area as a whole, this could be one step closer to unifying different parts of town. 

One suggestion I would make to this would be to run 8th ave (Rosa Parks Ave) north and have it connect to Rosa Parks Blvd through that annoying parking lot at the end of 8th

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Somera Road real estate firm will buy the old Gibson Guitar building at 1121 Church St. in the northern Gulch, and convert the 4 story, 45,000 sq. ft. structure into a mixed-use development.  This is the same  NY-based company that is developing another former Gibson 1-story warehouse within the same block into the Pins Mechanical Company entertainment venue. 

I'm surprised they are retaining the elevated parking area over 12th Avenue. Seems like a maintenance headache.

5 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

I'm surprised they are retaining the elevated parking area over 12th Avenue. Seems like a maintenance headache.

Yeah and it's really ugly too. I live in the Gossett and am not too convinced this will feel as great as it looks in the renderings. The frontage on 12th avenue feels really dark and dingy under that elevated parking and the other side (where the rendering is showing a biergarten) is in a really dirty alley and doesn't feel as wide open as the rendering suggests. I'm hoping they prove me wrong and are able to clean up the surroundings of this building and make it feel great, but I wish they would just knock it down and build something much nicer.

They also have yet to start on the Pins Mechanical Bowling they have going in the warehouse across the alley. How long ago was that announced?

Edited by rjgo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rjgo said:

Yeah and it's really ugly too. I live in the Gossett and am not too convinced this will feel as great as it looks in the renderings. The frontage on 12th avenue feels really dark and dingy under that elevated parking and the other side (where the rendering is showing a biergarten) is in a really dirty alley and doesn't feel as wide open as the rendering suggests. I'm hoping they prove me wrong and are able to clean up the surroundings of this building and make it feel great, but I wish they would just knock it down and build something much nicer.

They also have yet to start on the Pins Mechanical Bowling they have going in the warehouse across the alley. How long ago was that announced?

I really like that parking structure and enjoy driving under it so I'm glad they're keeping it.  This area could have a nice gritty feel when all is done, although the 3rd render above looks like a strip mall. 

Parts of Germantown are so sanitized now I'm starting to hate it.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

I really like that parking structure and enjoy driving under it so I'm glad they're keeping it.  This area could have a nice gritty feel when all is done, although the 3rd render above looks like a strip mall. 

Parts of Germantown are so sanitized now I'm starting to hate it.

Agreed completely.  To all of that.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, markhollin said:

Somera Road real estate firm will buy the old Gibson Guitar building at 1121 Church St. in the northern Gulch, and convert the 4 story, 45,000 sq. ft. structure into a mixed-use development.  This is the same  NY-based company that is developing another former Gibson 1-story warehouse within the same block into the Pins Mechanical Company entertainment venue. 

ESa will do the architectural work on the re-imagined space.

I'm grateful that this building is being preserved.  There has been angst among this UP crowd and many others in the city that this landmark would succumb to the wrecking ball.

• Like 4