Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Of, for that matter, where Public Square is... :shok:

-==-

Or where the TN State Museum downtown is unless you went there as a child on a field trip. It's like a concrete fortress/bunker with hardly any publicity, other than the small banners on the side of the building and the light post banners than tend to get blown every which way in the wind tunnel canyon known as Deadrick street. The walls are like 100ft high solid concrete with no windows.

That street was always 10 degrees cooler and twice as windy than the rest of the CBD. It literally got like 1 hour of sun a day. I hated catching the bus when the terminal was on Deadrick - outside.

Edited by nashmoney
  • Like 4

having lived here for off and on since 1992, I have to say there are a few places that I am embarrassed to have never been. the Parthenon is one of them.  as a history buff also Fort Negley is one of the others.

I actually hadn't been inside the Parthenon either until a couple years ago when I was passing through town coming home from Christmas with the family in Chattanooga, I just randomly decided to take half an hour and go.  It was completely a spur of the moment thing, and it was worth it. 

Edited by BnaBreaker

having lived here for off and on since 1992, I have to say there are a few places that I am embarrassed to have never been. the Parthenon is one of them.  as a history buff also Fort Negley is one of the others.

Ooh-h-h... Ba-a-ad Boy! ;)

I do have to say though, I only went to Ft. Negley back in the '70s to do something I probably shouldn't have been doing up in there, :ph34r:

As far as the Parthenon is concerned, I the last time I saw Athena and Nike ('97), they hadn't yet been gilded; it had been just a plain, unfinished statue until 2002, but I have yet to have revisited it.

-==-

Or where the TN State Museum downtown is unless you went there as a child on a field trip. It's like a concrete fortress/bunker with hardly any publicity, other than the small banners on the side of the building and the light post banners than tend to get blown every which way in the wind tunnel canyon known as Deaderick street. The walls are like 100ft high solid concrete with no windows.

That street was always 10 degrees cooler and twice as windy than the rest of the CBD. It literally got like 1 hour of sun a day. I hated catching the bus when the terminal was on Deaderick - outside.

Careful, now... You might stir up some ashes on the not-too-distant past discussion of that building, and the dust hasn't even finished settling on those emotions.  The only way that thing would come down would be with Corvette-Museum super-sinkhole on steroids. (unfortunately).  It's probably there at least until 2069, before it would meet the wrecking ball (you think?)

-==-

• Like 1

The latest Post story on the Price Development project in Germantown mentions that a rendering will be ready in May.  I don't know if these are current or not, but there are images of the project in here.  I can't see the Post story.

http://www.nashville.gov/mc/pdfs/zoning/2014_calendar_year/bl2014_906_site_plan.pdf

It would probably be nice if all of those museums combined into a larger museum in the CBD. There's possibly enough museum quality artifacts within the Nashville Metro to fill a nice museum downtown.

I've always thought that a big hole in Nashville's cultural offerings is a prominent museum with a strong permanent collection. Even Birmingham's art museum really surpasses what we have to offer. I've thought that the Frist is a good base to build from. Why not consolidate the Cheekwood and Parthenon collections in an expansion of the Frist onto their surface lot in the back. A shame that we couldn't also capture the collection that Fisk has left to Arkansas to combine with these.

• Like 1

Agreed, especially with your point about the Arkansas museum... in fact, a member of the Walton family thought enough of the collection that she built a multi-million dollar building in which to house them.  And the "art patrons" of Nashville (to my knowledge) never even considered keeping them in their own city.  And this was simultaneous to the investment in the Frist, which does not have a permanent collection.  Some times it seems the community leaders of Nashville are so "bass-ackward"... even if you compare to Chattanooga, which has a fine collection at the Hunter museum.. expanded three times in the past forty years!   

• Like 3

Wow...I honestly didn't realized that The Frist didn't have a permanent collection.  I'm not really an art guy, but it's fairly unbelievable that a city Nashville's size doesn't have a prominent art museum with a permanent collection.  Perhaps instead of another music related museum, the city should invest in an art museum and a history museum of some kind. 

• Like 1

Agreed, especially with your point about the Arkansas museum... in fact, a member of the Walton family thought enough of the collection that she built a multi-million dollar building in which to house them.  And the "art patrons" of Nashville (to my knowledge) never even considered keeping them in their own city.  And this was simultaneous to the investment in the Frist, which does not have a permanent collection.  Some times it seems the community leaders of Nashville are so "bass-ackward"... even if you compare to Chattanooga, which has a fine collection at the Hunter museum.. expanded three times in the past forty years!   

You sledged the spike dead on center with the Arkansas collection.  The jury of despair is still out on the disputed decision to allow Fisk to sell half interest in the O'Keefe collection, against the wishes of the widowed benefactor, encouraged by writer and photographer Carl Van Vechten,  As a sizeable gift being one of only six donations by O'Keefe of her late husband Alfred Stieglitz's massive renown collection, the initial contribution to such a small institution as Fisk, compared to the five other donees, had been an unmistakable immensity to Nashv'l, because it was (and remains) a highly and widely coveted collection bestowed to Fisk on behalf of Nashv'l and the state ─ a clear case of a part representing the whole (“synecdoche”), as far as world-wide art critics were concerned.

I applaud the Frist Center as a means to maintain that splendid art-deco structure, originally erected as Nashv'l's main U.S. Post Office, which had long served its purpose when passenger trains handled the bulk of the postal mail transport and en-route sorting (officially until 1977).  Yours and PHofKS' references to resources and pro-active recognition by jurisdictions outside Nashv'l of the need to engender judicious stewardship in art acquisition, exposes a rampant, slow-to-evolve change in the art-patron mentality within Nashv'l.  Partly the effect of apathy and in part the result of the university leaderhip’s  inability to garner a mix of support to counter the typical burying of heads in the sand in watching from the sidelines,  the imminent "deaccessioning" (of the O'Keefe-Stieglitz collection), as a means to reducefinancial insolvency, has created the perception of compromising the integrity and good standing of an institution and (by context) the community at large which it represents.  Notwithstanding Fisk’s need to extricate and to revalidate itself from and following a long and storied period of questionable management, it just goes to show that legal conditions or restrictions originally placed on gifts of any type and size might as well be written on tissue paper, as there almost always remains at least a single mitigating circumstance, since arbitration can become "arbitrary".

On the other hand, it might be a blessing in disguise, for having fortified security provided by the Walton family in Bentonville, as you have noted, for the “Stieglitz-turned-Arkansas” collection.  For over 40 years I have questioned Fisk’s priority in establishing suitable security for the collection, beyond its minimal surveillance system, not only for the Stieglitz, but for all its rare collections made publicly accessible.  While Fisk might maintain the right to display the Stieglitz collection two of every four years, it will no longer remain on permanent display at Fisk, and it remains to be seen that Fisk will actually have the collection returned for on-site display, in considering the resources required for reasonably secure transport of individual elements of the collection.  No collection is without danger or risk of any kind, and back-and-forth shuttling of the collection may prove more harm than good.  I am unaware of the details of the shared ownership of the collection, but it is logical to assume that each owner must incur the cost of hosting and transfer of the collection to the respective owner’s property.

Geogia O'Keefe (center), with Fisk student (left) and Carl Van Vechten

(Courtesy of Fisk University Franklin Library, Special Collections)

student_OKeeffe_VanVechten_at_Fisk_zpsf5

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

Agreed, especially with your point about the Arkansas museum... in fact, a member of the Walton family thought enough of the collection that she built a multi-million dollar building in which to house them.   

Yes...this is supposed to be a really great museum focusing on American art in the mountains of NW Arkansas.  Good for them to get such a great wealth of art from Fisk...but not great for Nashville.

http://crystalbridges.org

1.jpg

Wow...I honestly didn't realized that The Frist didn't have a permanent collection. I'm not really an art guy, but it's fairly unbelievable that a city Nashville's size doesn't have a prominent art museum with a permanent collection. Perhaps instead of another music related museum, the city should invest in an art museum and a history museum of some kind.

I believe Cheekwood does.

I do not recall all of the details of the complex set of circumstances involving the Fisk University and its financial woes, which led to their desire to sell the Steiglitz collection. I do know that the Frist Center stepped up with an offer to provide a secure home for the permanent display of the works. My understanding is that the financial need of the university led them to take legal steps to persue the most profitable outcome and stay within the restraints placed upon them when the collection was donated. I'm not sure that the current situation would not have Ms. O'keffe turning over in her grave! That said, I hope the art is well secured, seen and appreciated by many...but I sure do wish it was here.

Edited by donNdonelson2