Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

^^^Good input rookzie.

I think, more than anything, is that they just limited its usage at that size...with no room for growth if wanted or needed.  Maybe that was their intention all along, but hard to understand why.  It would seem there would be several really well known bands who would love to play there.

I say all of this after years of managing a rock band who often performed at Summerfest in Milwaukee.  They have several stages of varying size along Lake Michigan...and some of these lesser-known rock bands can easily draw 10-15k...which shocked me.  I'm not talking the big bands you hear on the radio...but bands with cult followings.

A venue like this is PERFECT for those type of bands...but the venue is probably too small for these bands.

• Like 1

Since Thermal came down and discussions of an amphitheater began, many of us envisioned that huge open space as a concert lawn, with a stage just under the Shelby bridge and capacity for large shows in the 15-20k range. So yes, it was a disappointment for some of us that planners elected to use only half the site for the concert venue. The city has already demonstrated its appetite for weekly 10-15k downtown shows with the Live on the Green series, which wonderfully is maxing out its courthouse square venue. How cool it would be to stage that event at the new amphitheater along the river, but with the limited capacity that's not an option.

I have no doubt that the new stage and venue will be very cool and well done. For me, my main concern remains the proximity of the stage and the seating area to KVB. Ideally if planning from scratch, you would not want fans to have to compete with 6 lanes of heavy traffic background noise.

• Like 2

Incredible how much is underway or planned for Germantown apartments.  

PDG

Broadstone

Carillon

Fountains

Grove Park

Lifestyle Communities

Sounds apartments

Lofts at Taylor (completed)

909 Rosa Parks 

I expect there are one or two others I'm forgetting.    That's a lot of apartment dwellers moving into a relatively small geographic area in the next few years.    

McGavocks, the bar planned for Germantown on 6th at the old Centurion site, is a no-go.  http://nashville.eater.com/2015/1/26/7855301/mcgavocks-cumberland-hospitality-group-hob-nobs-germantown

Surprising to me that with all of the development ongoing and planned, there is not a bar proper in the area.  A veritable booze desert.  

I hadn't realized Piranha's had closed. Glad I made it down there not too long ago for one last sloppy burger. I now have no reason whatsoever to return to 2nd Avenue:

http://nashville.eater.com/2015/1/22/7855141/the-stillery-is-taking-over-piranhas-former-second-avenue-home

Oops! Meant to post this on either the food/bev or the downtown thread. My bad.

Edited by Nashville Cliff
  • Like 1

Oak Tree No Dogs building story.. This is behind the pay-wall but will come off soon.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/1/26/start_date_slated_for_reinvention_of_salemtowns_no_dog_building

Oh, good.    I was getting concerned about the status of this one since there hasn't been much movement on the site in some time.   What a great reuse of the historic structure.   You know, there are maybe 4 or 5 similar buildings scattered throughout Salemtown.    Some are well-maintained and others could use some love like this.       

Oak Tree No Dogs building story.. This is behind the pay-wall but will come off soon.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2015/1/26/start_date_slated_for_reinvention_of_salemtowns_no_dog_building

Great news.

My wife and I drove by this while house-hunting over the weekend. It looked terrible! I'm glad its still in salvageable shape, though.

Beautiful.  I'd love to see much more development like the above in Germantown rather than the multi-story residential blocks.  I think those are positive developments too, but I think these rowhome style developments create a more inviting experience at street level and fit much better with the existing environment in that neighborhood.

• Like 1

Beautiful.  I'd love to see much more development like the above in Germantown rather than the multi-story residential blocks.  I think those are positive developments too, but I think these rowhome style developments create a more inviting experience at street level and fit much better with the existing environment in that neighborhood.

...reminds me a bit of memories from The Fan District, near VCU, in Richmond, Va.  Spent many a "morning after" there...

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

City Lights now becoming a 7-story luxury condo tower...with 17 of the 27 condos already reserved.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/01/luxury-condos-not-apartments-now-on-tap-for-city.html

I don't understand how that's a better fit for the neighborhood than the 17 story version.

• Like 1

It's not a better fit, it's just the zoning was not in place and they didn't approve the variance, so the developers are doing the best they can under the current zoning.

Also, there seems to be a problem with the numbers. At the beginning of the NBJ article it's says 77 units and at the end they say 17 of the 27. I would bet that is supposed to be 77 as well.

City Lights now becoming a 7-story luxury condo tower...with 17 of the 27 condos already reserved.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/01/luxury-condos-not-apartments-now-on-tap-for-city.html

The 17/27 reserved units are in Poston at The Park. A different project recently announced by Centennial Park.