Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

if Nashville is awarded a bid, they cannot start construction. Metro will have to follow The Fairgrounds Charter, which is to get 26 council votes to approve any demolition. 

This suit by Save Our Fairgrounds has no standing and is speculation...

unfortunately I think the judge has decided to not make a decision so that no one is mad at her if Nashville is not awarded a bid. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

if Nashville is awarded a bid, they cannot start construction. Metro will have to follow The Fairgrounds Charter, which is to get 26 council votes to approve any demolition. 

Are they evening demoing anything, that already hasn’t been approved with the last 15 million we are putting into the fairgrounds. 

Wasn’t there already approval to get rid of some old buildings and add the new soccer fields. I’ve noticed in the last few days they’ve surround the lower area with black plastic where the soccer fields are supposed to go. 

B7203740-D86A-47CD-B575-D0E7555D7966.jpeg

Not close to the situation, but it seems to me that the fairgrounds is such a political football in Nashville. I still hear references to letting Nascar get away but I wasn't around back then. Still find it hard to believe Nascar would even be doing races on that small track. So makes me wonder: Where does that power exist?  Who is making money off that property? I realize there's a board but doesn't it answer completely to Metro? Is it that popular year-round with the public? If so, is there a significant enough portion of the population that get their hackles raised each time there's a proposal to change something? Might just be a simple case of a councilperson making it out for his/her own little fiefdom. 

I'd expect this board has several folks who've watched fairgrounds politics over the years. Anyone? 

• Like 1

The fairground is such a dump...but obviously, someone with some "pull" has been able to keep this place from being touched for decades.  The buildings are in need of tear-down and replacement.  The track could use millions of $$ worth of improvements.  The state fair may be the worst state fair in the nation.  The fact that anyone wants to keep this as status quo is truly head-scratching.  It's almost like some small group of influential people are using this place to make meth and don't want their "lab" destroyed.

• Like 4

Has anyone heard exactly what this group is fighting so hard to protect? Ive been in the fairgrounds area only once or twice and was at Ft. Negley this past summer and for the life of me can't see what people would be protecting in the immediate vicinity. Please explain, 

39 minutes ago, TNinVB said:

Has anyone heard exactly what this group is fighting so hard to protect? Ive been in the fairgrounds area only once or twice and was at Ft. Negley this past summer and for the life of me can't see what people would be protecting in the immediate vicinity. Please explain, 

It may be some people who are worried about the effects of traffic in the nearby neighborhoods and their quality of life. Something similar happened when the NFL came to town.

• Like 1

They had the super majority they needed with the Soccer vote I believe, so the 26 votes will not be a problem. That is why I think the lawsuit will be thrown out for one reason is they had the votes they needed to do anything they wanted to do to by-pass the referendum. Even if they sue, they will still have the votes to quash the nay Sayers legally.

Someone with more knowledge may want to interject here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tragenvol said:

FC Cincy folks still confident they're in ahead of Nashville SC.  So hope to seem some folks a few hours north disappointed. 

Honestly, they have a really attractive bid. I would hate to have been on that decision making board. If there weren’t 150 million reasons not to, I would like to see them go ahead with the first 3 now. 

I honestly think Nashville's stadium situation is better in that aspect of the proposal.

We are closer to downtown (2 miles versus 8 miles), have 10 acres for development (versus suburban surroundings), and fully funded (Cincy still looking for additional funds). 

In the end, I hope all four cities get in... just Nashville first. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 3

Woohoo.....now have to go check out FCC Twitter meltdown.....but tons of folks from Cincy knew this, i.e. Nashville selected over FCC, would happen...or at least expected it to happen.

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I honestly think Nashville's stadium situation is better in that aspect of the proposal.

We are closer to downtown (2 miles versus 8 miles), have 10 acres for development (versus suburban surroundings), and fully funded (Cincy still looking for additional funds). 

In the end, I hope all four cities get in... just Nashville first. 

Indeed....FCC stadium proposal didn't have enough public partnership that MLS desired, they do have deep pockets, and ardent fan support, but the stadium location was more con than pro for their bid.

I'd speculate FCC will make the next round.

• Like 3