Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

Latest on the Cincinnati situation. Hoping that the Hamilton County Commissioners say no to allocating any of the hotel/motel tax
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2017/11/17/details-cranleys-last-ditch-effort-bring-mls-soccer-cincinnati/873899001/

Good information from Sirius FC sports radio talk now from Pat Brennan from Cincinnati Enquirer on FC Cincinnati's MLS bid.

In summary, probably not enough time for two bodies of government to pass any public stadium resolution prior to announcment. However, FC Cincinnati has an MOU with property across the river in Newport, KY for its stadium. The MOU has been in hand a while as a safety net, but the pference has always been to be in Cincy...at this point folks there would be willing to be in Newport if it meant an MLS franchise.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

6 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Seems like this should work in Nashville's favor in landing an MLS team.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2017/11/21/nissan-nashville-soccer-sponsor-jersey-nashville-sc/880883001/

That's huge. A lot of teams have significantly less prestigious sponsors...my Union sports a big logo that says BIMBO across the front...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PruneTracy said:

I read that, and I thought Detroit actually would be our biggest competition simply because it's metro population is more than twice the size of ours. 

However, there is room for discussion of how you define a market in regards to soccer. Nashville, as Music City, is a well known national and international brand, and as other forums have mentioned, MLS  will need to compete for market share against European and Asian leagues as they are trying to stake their claim on the American marketplace with all the 'friendlies' like we saw last summer in Nissan Stadium.  Some leagues in Britain and Spain may actually adopt cities in the US to be home away from home cities for certain clubs, where they will actually play meaningful league games. 

Just like Nashville's run to the Stanley Cup being one of the best things to happen to the NHL in years, having an internationally recognized city with a brand like 'Music City' in the MLS might be just what the MLS needs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PruneTracy said:

This article mentions jersey sponsorships in Sacramento and Cincinnati as big reasons those two cities are front runners.  The writer of this article apparently wasn't aware of Nissan's jersey sponsorship of Nashville SC.  If I'm extrapolating correctly, that sponsorship should propel Nashville to a near guaranteed selection.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jmtunafish said:

This article mentions jersey sponsorships in Sacramento and Cincinnati as big reasons those two cities are front runners.  The writer of this article apparently wasn't aware of Nissan's jersey sponsorship of Nashville SC.  If I'm extrapolating correctly, that sponsorship should propel Nashville to a near guaranteed selection.

I think the difference is that the Sacramento Republic and FC Cincy deals are explicitly struck to continue if their MLS bids materialize while the Nashville SC deal with Nissan just concerns the USL side. Not to say Nissan can't or won't be the jersey advertiser if Nashville's bid succeeds, but the presser didn't mention anything about the potential MLS bid.

2 hours ago, PHofKS said:

MLS  will need to compete for market share against European and Asian leagues as they are trying to stake their claim on the American marketplace with all the 'friendlies' like we saw last summer in Nissan Stadium.  Some leagues in Britain and Spain may actually adopt cities in the US to be home away from home cities for certain clubs, where they will actually play meaningful league games.

No doubt a possibility. If it could happen with NPSL darlings CFC with Volkswagen & VfL Wolfsburg of Bundesliga,  then I would it expect to happen sooner rather than later with USL/MLS Nashville with Nissan & any English team, like Manchester City, at minimum.

Edited by xtianpoop
  • Like 2

Cincinnati council passes $37 MM in funding for soccer stadium. 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2017/11/27/how-cincinnati-city-council-vote-fc-cincinnati-soccer-stadium-deal-find-out-today/892934001/

A few points-

1. The team has said it needed $70-$75 MM for infrastructure. $37 MM from the city + $15 MM from the county = $52 MM. FC Cincinnati owners state they are not sure what the actual infrastructure costs are, and will go back to the drawing board with the city if it's higher. Will MLS care they have a potential gap?

No one in the city administration nor FC Cincinnati president and CEO Jeff Berding, a former city council member, could come up with an answer for council members who wanted to know how the $23 million gap between what FC Cincinnati wants for infrastructure and what city and county government is giving will be filled.

"There is a level of uncertainty about where the money will come from," Berding says

http://www.citybeat.com/news/blog/20983957/as-stadium-deal-moves-forward-in-council-questions-remain

2. It is unclear if this funding is for anywhere in Cincinnati, or just for Oakley. The stadium location in Oakley is 8 miles away from downtown Cincinnati... Hopefully the potential uncertainty on the stadium location (and distance from downtown) will favor Nashville. 

5 things we still don't know about FC Cincy stadium deal

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2017/11/27/5-things-we-still-dont-know-fc-cincinnati-stadium-deal/899407001/

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Cincinnati council passes $37 MM in funding for soccer stadium. 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2017/11/27/how-cincinnati-city-council-vote-fc-cincinnati-soccer-stadium-deal-find-out-today/892934001/

A few points-

1. The team has said it needed $70-$75 MM for infrastructure. $37 MM from the city + $15 MM from the county = $52 MM. FC Cincinnati owners state they are not sure what the actual infrastructure costs are, and will go back to the drawing board with the city if it's higher. Will MLS care they have a potential gap?

No one in the city administration nor FC Cincinnati president and CEO Jeff Berding, a former city council member, could come up with an answer for council members who wanted to know how the $23 million gap between what FC Cincinnati wants for infrastructure and what city and county government is giving will be filled.

"There is a level of uncertainty about where the money will come from," Berding says

http://www.citybeat.com/news/blog/20983957/as-stadium-deal-moves-forward-in-council-questions-remain

2. It is unclear if this funding is for anywhere in Cincinnati, or just for Oakley. The stadium location in Oakley is 8 miles away from downtown Cincinnati... Hopefully the potential uncertainty on the stadium location (and distance from downtown) will favor Nashville. 

5 things we still don't know about FC Cincy stadium deal

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2017/11/27/5-things-we-still-dont-know-fc-cincinnati-stadium-deal/899407001/

Let's hope for Nashville's MLS franchise award chances this thing stays muddied...Cincy and Nashville are the two cities vying for the second spot to be announced in December.  Sacramento has locked up one spot...Cincy FC's fervent fan support is something Nashville SC can't duplicate as of yet without any historical reference....but Nashville's stadium deal has ticked the public/private partnership box cited by MLS as desirable for a franchise awardee.

I wish MLS would award both Cincy and Nashville along with Sacramento as all three should be ready to go even if Cincy has to go across the river to Newport.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tragenvol said:

Let's hope for Nashville's MLS franchise award chances this thing stays muddied...Cincy and Nashville are the two cities vying for the second spot to be announced in December.  Sacramento has locked up one spot...Cincy FC's fervent fan support is something Nashville SC can't duplicate as of yet without any historical reference....but Nashville's stadium deal has ticked the public/private partnership box cited by MLS as desirable for a franchise awardee.

I wish MLS would award both Cincy and Nashville along with Sacramento as all three should be ready to go even if Cincy has to go across the river to Newport.

Yeah...I'm hopeful they award both cities.  I realize the MLS is wanting to make more $$ by waiting to announce teams 3 and 4...but you have a "bird in the hand" right now.  They could possibly go to the clubs (all 3) and say, "We have 3 teams instead of 2 we'd like to bring in.  Instead of one of these 3 teams waiting a few years and paying double the price...how about we bring in all 3 of you, but you pay a slightly higher entrance fee?  If you don't all 3 agree...we're going to have to cut one of you."

I think all 3 would agree (maybe).

19 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

And if Nashville isn't selected this round, then the stadium deal does not happen.  As you say, bird in hand.

Crossing fingers for a very Merry Christmas.

Where did you see that? I thought stadium does not happen if we aren't selected for any of the 4 expansion spots. 

Edited by nashvylle

9 hours ago, markhollin said:

On Saturday, Feb. 10, 2018, Nashville SC will play Atlanta United FC in a friendly match between the expansion United Soccer League team and the Major League Soccer franchise.  The game will be the first at First Tennessee Ballpark. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2017/11/28/nashville-sc-host-atlanta-mls-team-first-tennessee-park/898063001/

I don't understand how they are scheduling games two months from now but don't even have a roster yet.  Hell, try outs don't even start until January.