The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Supposedly in 2021 China began development on a new 620 mile long Maglev line between Shanghai and Beijing that can reach speeds of up to 372 mph (!!!) And make the journey in only 2.5 hours.

I went to China in 1987 before it had become modernized when they were getting their first tourists.  I took a sleeper train from Beijing to Shanghai and I think it took about ten hours or so.  I would love to see it again with all of the skyscrapers and modern infrastructure.  I agree that we'll probably never see anything like the Maglev Train in the US.  Back in the 1980's China was a backwards country, today we're the ones with the backwards country! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Back in 2010 I had the opportunity to ride the Maglev Train in Shanghai which can reach top speeds of 268 mph and connects central Shanghai to the main airport about twenty miles away.  The entire trip took less than seven minutes.   Beyond the sheer speed of it (though I'm not sure how long we were at top speed, if ever) and the bizarre sight of seeing the cars going the same direction on the expressway built right next to it just get passed by in a blur, what I was really struck most by was just how incredibly smooth the ride was.  I mean even at HIGH speeds you could just walk around normally without holding onto anything.  I mean on it's face it's just another form of transportation, but it was really an incredible experience unto itself and it oddly turned out to be one of the highlights of my trip.  I highly doubt we'll ever see it in the states though because of the high cost relative to standard rail.  Sure would be nice though. 

Supposedly in 2021 China began development on a new 620 mile long Maglev line between Shanghai and Beijing that can reach speeds of up to 372 mph (!!!) And make the journey in only 2.5 hours.  That'd basically be like travelling from Nashville to Washington DC in the same time frame.  I mean that is what you call a REAL practical long distance alternative to air travel!  

I can’t imagine going that fast on land. I think the fastest one I’ve been on was the Milan to Rome and I think it got up to around 220 mph; it was pretty wild to sit and watch the passing countryside. 

Edited by DMilner
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

While the accomplishments of China in the realm of high speed rail are extremely impressive, I think it's important we don't use them as a standard we should be shooting for. They're able to accomplish what they did in such a short amount of time almost entirely by abuse of workers, substandard safety measures, and lower engineering standards, not to mention not having to be terribly concerned with property acquisition. We can do better than we currently are...we have to...but we'll never do what China has done in the same timeframe for the same budget, nor should we try. 

Completely agree! Also the way they manipulate their currency to make things work (allegedly at least) is pretty insane.

Japan's system now is very intriguing and is an envy of the world. They have also seen their system evolve essentially since WWII. There are a bunch of articles and videos out there about how Japan's is ranked the most efficient system in the world, but I appreciated this video by the Wall Street Journal about comparing the MTA to Japan. Japan (like many other countries) has seen a continued investment in transportation, but also have private investments that help it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

While the accomplishments of China in the realm of high speed rail are extremely impressive, I think it's important we don't use them as a standard we should be shooting for. They're able to accomplish what they did in such a short amount of time almost entirely by abuse of workers, substandard safety measures, and lower engineering standards, not to mention not having to be terribly concerned with property acquisition. We can do better than we currently are...we have to...but we'll never do what China has done in the same timeframe for the same budget, nor should we try. 

I totally agree and wasn't by any means suggesting we should use China as a benchmark for, well, anything really.  I just think Maglev technology is cool, really is the long and short of my post. 

• Like 4

Cruise, a self-driving rideshare company, announced Nashville will be its seventh “robotaxi-enabled city.”

The San Francisco-based company said it began testing vehicles on Friday and plans to offer driverless rides in a few months.

So far, Cruise is only commercially operating the self-driving vehicles in San Francisco, Austin, and Phoenix, but has tested them in Houston, Dallas, and Miami. Here’s what to know as the fleet hits the streets.

Cruise is the self-driving division of General Motors and operates a Chevy Bolt-based autonomous vehicle. 

According to TechCrunch, the company enters a market with test vehicles and a human safety operator behind the wheel. When the car is ready to hit the road — sans human — it is first available to employees followed by those who join the waitlist.

The current generation of vehicles are equipped with a steering wheel that moves and three tablets in the car — with two in the back for passengers to start the trip, watch the map, and receive ride updates. Two guests can ride at a time, according to Cruise’s website.

More behind the Nashville Post website here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/technology/gm-s-self-driving-taxi-company-plans-nashville-launch/article_64037ad8-2f9e-11ee-96a0-f3d0d95d3a08.html

Cruise website here:

https://getcruise.com/rides/?utm_term=nashtoday&utm_campaign=daily-newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_source=nashtoday&utm_content=nashtoday

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I am anlways interested in how contracts for state and city work get completed. Are there not incentives for finishing early?

Sometimes there are. Someone would have to look at the contracts to tell though. Liquidated damages are almost always included in public contracts though which would penalize the contractors for taking beyond a deadline date.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I am anlways interested in how contracts for state and city work get completed. Are there not incentives for finishing early?

Rarely; this doesn't look good from a political perspective. There are liquidated damages for finishing late, however, in practice most contractors get time extensions to avoid paying LDs because there are many factors outside of their control that will hold up a government project.

On most projects of this size or greater contractors have plenty of incentive on their own to finish the job as quickly as possible. They are paid lump sum and equipment, laborers, etc. sitting idle on a site costs them money.

Bottom line is, it takes a while to build things! Even more so when you wait around for inspectors, have to coordinate with utility companies and railroads, and other third-party responsibilities.

• Like 2