The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

7 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

@fieldmarshaldj Do you have any suggestions of what to do about the traffic/congestion/public trans in Nashville, or do you suggest just leave it as it is?

A very valid question. I do not have a definitive solution to the problem. I've discussed the problem with my father, he believes that self-driving cars is one innovative solution, which would lessen car ownership (and also would use the roadway more efficiently). Other things such as changing up workday hours for businesses and government alike so that the bulk of folks aren't out on the road coming and going all at once (think 9-to-5). I see nothing wrong with getting groups of people together to discuss options that are more cost-feasible to be utilized or experimented with. This Mayor, as with many of her predecessors, see nothing wrong with rolling out expensive plans and ideas, while not discussing the repercussions of such grandiose ideas. Even from my perspective, implementing the "Down Murfreesboro Road" portion (the closest major artery to where I live) would not be of much benefit to me. This, if only because I'd have to walk nearly a mile down a dangerous, busy two-lane street with no sidewalks just to get to the light rail line. If one lived maybe a block or two (and because of how the subdivisions are laid out down here, no one really does), it could be seen by them as a viable alternative. Indeed, it would take me as long to walk just to the station stop as it would to drive halfway (if not 3/4ths of the way) to downtown. If I were actually carrying something from a store, forget it. And don't try biking down this street, either, unless you have a death wish.

Pretty clearly that a lot of suburban areas (Antioch, for example) don't easily lend themselves to efficiently supporting light rail or even public buses, for that matter. You'd just about have to redesign everything.

Note to Mods: You might want to move this discussion to the transportation thread, since we're not really talking about CBD development, per se.

I think the real trend, especially with the up-coming Millennial group and faster internet, is working from home.  We have quite a few here that do it.  While the older executives that are more traditional haven't really bought on yet, the idea of setting up work stations at home is gaining momentum.  Tools like ZOOM and Skype make it very easy as well.

I live out in College Grove and spend sometimes an hour driving in.  If there was a light-rail transit stop near my house would I use it?  Sometimes.  Other times I am not going straight home (soccer practices, errands, etc) so it wouldn't be super beneficial for me or some of my co-workers I discussed this topic with.  

Personally, I like "remote working" as the next frontier.  I know not every job will allow it, but for many of the corporate jobs in Cool Springs, Brentwood and Nashville, it is a solution that could take a lot of vehicle volume off the road.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

I think the real trend, especially with the up-coming Millennial group and faster internet, is working from home.  We have quite a few here that do it.  While the older executives that are more traditional haven't really bought on yet, the idea of setting up work stations at home is gaining momentum.  Tools like ZOOM and Skype make it very easy as well.

I live out in College Grove and spend sometimes an hour driving in.  If there was a light-rail transit stop near my house would I use it?  Sometimes.  Other times I am not going straight home (soccer practices, errands, etc) so it wouldn't be super beneficial for me or some of my co-workers I discussed this topic with.  

Personally, I like "remote working" as the next frontier.  I know not every job will allow it, but for many of the corporate jobs in Cool Springs, Brentwood and Nashville, it is a solution that could take a lot of vehicle volume off the road.

But that would require one to be productive on "work from home" days. :D;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie Hall said:

The Nashville Post added part of a TDOT statement on the I-440 changes coming up:

"The project will include removing and replacing the existing pavement, removal of the existing grass elevated median, and adding capacity to provide a minimum of six travel lanes (3 in each direction) throughout the corridor."

Ummm and how about replace those outdated rusty looking light poles that line the road????

1 hour ago, TNinVB said:

Ummm and how about replace those outdated rusty looking light poles that line the road????

They seem to be replacing them. They've replaced all the lighting on I-440 between I-40 to just past the West End exit -- maybe they're working the way down the rest of I-440, although slowly.

From all of the media reports I have seen, the 440 upgrade will include repaving, (concrete or asphalt has yet to be determined), safety features, which will mean taking the median out and putting either a guardrail or what I suspect will be a concrete barrier in, and there is talk of adding lanes.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

From all of the media reports I have seen, the 440 upgrade will include repaving, (concrete or asphalt has yet to be determined), safety features, which will mean taking the median out and putting either a guardrail or what I suspect will be a concrete barrier in, and there is talk of adding lanes.

What's everyone's thought's on concrete vs. asphalt given the current debacle?

Edited by claya91

Most places where I've seen concrete used, it ends up being a nightmare eventually.  It's as if someone tells that city / state that concrete will last "x number of years"...and then that city / state decides they will not touch that roadway again until those "x number of years" has been met.  Pavement seems to normally be smoother and easier to fix along the way...though it may be more expensive in the long run.  However...I'd much rather ride on a smoother surface with potholes that can be easily filled (pavement) rather than ride on a rougher surface that crumbles and basically needs replacing once there's a pothole.

• Like 1

I personally think asphalt is better. Here in VB, I-264 was concrete and had many pot holes and patch work. VDOT finally finished repaving the entire stretch of 264 with asphalt a little over a year ago. In this Google Earth image you can see the west bound lanes before they were repaved in asphalt. They were pretty bad. Now I-264 is a nice smooth idea all the way to the oceanfront. There is still a section of I-64 at the VB and Chesapeake line that has the grooved concrete that reminds me of 440. My 17 year old son is a new driver and hates driving on it. He says it makes the car feel like its swerving. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

49 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I can vouch for the fact that concrete's life is shortened dramatically where salt is used. But I'd hope TDOT would take that into account in their decisions. 

Especially since a sleet pellet at 40F is enough to get TDOT treating the roads (not complaining) The freeze-thaw nature of Nashville winters is the issue. God knows how many pot holes were formed that weekend we went from 80F to snow in 3 days.

I hope they switch 440 to asphalt.

Edited by claya91

8 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

My understanding is they will add a lane from West End to Hillsboro allowing for 6 through lanes (up from 4) between I-40 and I-65

Conversion of the median to a concrete divider wall will prevent vehicles from crossing into oncoming traffic

8 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Concrete will last about three times as long as asphalt, but takes a lot more time and effort to install. Asphalt last for around 8 years before repaving. Pete may be able to enlighten us more, as this was his bailiwick.

I'm probably not much help as TDOT had particularly well trained and educated people to design the road surfaces and I never was involved in that aspect of highway design. As for the concrete vs. asphalt issue, those decisions were made at much higher paygrades than mine. I can talk about it more at the next monthly meeting.

Edited by PHofKS