The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

This morning I noticed they put one of those collapsible barriers on the westbound side of Spring Street right before you go under I-24. But, they have completely scraped all the grass off on each of the 4 parts of the cloverleaf. Hmm...I'm intrigued. I might look at the TDOT website and see if anything is listed there. I'll report back if I find anything.

• Like 1

4pm and this is what we have already....Shame that this changes my plans so often. Many days I refuse to hang out with friends/family simply because I don't want to sit in my car for an hour plus to go 15 or so miles. Not even joking, I will tell my parents no for dinner because of this. Sometimes it takes me 1 1/2 hrs to go from Brentwood to their place in Hermitage.

https://goo.gl/photos/vojKtXrTPdJPWV6G6

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 2

On 5/12/2017 at 4:09 PM, bigeasy said:

4pm and this is what we have already....Shame that this changes my plans so often. Many days I refuse to hang out with friends/family simply because I don't want to sit in my car for an hour plus to go 15 or so miles. Not even joking, I will tell my parents no for dinner because of this. Sometimes it takes me 1 1/2 hrs to go from Brentwood to their place in Hermitage.

https://goo.gl/photos/vojKtXrTPdJPWV6G6

Of course, then too, Friday afternoon, that drivers became spooked with "dampness" on the windshields only exacerbated the Cant-Get-There-From-Here syndrome of the region.

I'm glad that someone else can empathize with my trying to make people realize that I simply am not going to "let" them talk me into a situation where I get mad as Hell and predictably stuck in traffic going nowhere fast, and all that they can say is, "Well, we can just wait for you.  It shouldn't take TOO long."  That won't be happening again anytime soon. ツ

Edited by rookzie

2 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I honestly prefer BRT (with dedicated lanes in some areas or at certain times). We could implement and connect the entire city within a year and at 1/10th the cost. 

And move the routes as future growth dictates.

Alas, to paraphrase the consensus from the Amp studies, only poor people ride the bus.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUNash said:

Ok so I haven't studied this and my opinions may not be fully informed, but I wonder why there is the notion that a transit system has to operate at a profit. Yes, a functioning transit system may always require government operating and capital subsidies. But isn't that the case with many elements of public infrastructure that we already take for granted and that nonetheless contribute to economic vitality and support the overall economic activity of a city? So, streets for example. Don't we have to pay taxes to have roads paved and for traffic lights to be installed? So why is a transit system considered as different somehow? If a transit system is going to support the ability of people to move around the city, getting back and forth to their jobs and so on, isn't that something that is worth public investment on an ongoing basis?

I haven't read the article since it's still locked...but with the headline stating that we'd basically be bankrupt if we went that route, that's a little different than not operating at a profit.  Of course, it's just one man's opinion...and maybe the article isn't as bleak as the headline sounds.

6 hours ago, AUNash said:

Yes, a functioning transit system may always require government operating and capital subsidies. But isn't that the case with many elements of public infrastructure that we already take for granted and that nonetheless contribute to economic vitality and support the overall economic activity of a city? So, streets for example. Don't we have to pay taxes to have roads paved and for traffic lights to be installed? So why is a transit system considered as different somehow?

Highway infrastructure is generally paid for with user fees (e.g., gas taxes, etc.). You drive on the roads, you burn gas, you pay for the roads. You don't, you don't. There are exceptions to this rule—local streets not improved with state and federal funding, the various bailouts of the Highway Trust Fund—but even these could be covered with proposals like vehicle-miles traveled taxes and/or pushing transportation agencies towards a public utility model.

It wasn't that long ago that transit agencies were expected to cover their costs, as a rule. For that matter, it wasn't that long ago that they were privately-owned and -operated. The current paradigm of transit agencies requiring government subsidy as a matter of course (as opposed to a consequence of overly-optimistic ridership projections, not that those have disappeared) has only been in existence a couple of decades.

In the philosophical sense, should we be providing transit in this manner, with the assumption that it provides a public good worth the cost? I dunno. I will say, as someone in the business of developing transit plans, that it introduces the practical problem of agencies, customers, and other stakeholders swinging for the fences.

Nashville's transit master plan is just one example: most, if not all, of the proposed LRT lines could instead be implemented with BRT at the same level of service for a fraction of the cost. But the question asked by stakeholders is not "What tools do we have that serve our customers most efficiently?" but "What tools do we have that the feds will pay for?" And the feds don't care, they will foot the bill for LRT just as they will BRT and they barely make you justify it.

Then you enter into the issue of vanity. As I noted above, the prevailing opinion is that only poor people ride the bus; therefore, the agencies reason, we have to build rail to attract more ridership. Except they don't really attract that many more people, certainly not enough to justify adding a zero to the construction and maintenance cost, and as those extra riders are no longer expected to cover the cost of their usage we all end up effectively using our tax money to accommodate a small group's hang-ups about being seen riding a bus.

If we want to be in the business of providing transit as a public service, we'd be better off using vouchers or some other mechanism to subsidize transit fares while forcing agencies to price their services to capture everything they need to run them. It's really the only way we can get honest assessments about our transit needs.

• Like 3

Think of the Fed monies for LRT in the same manner as that of the Obama Care funding for Medicare expansion that was recently offered to the States. The Feds giveth and the Feds taketh away.....and the mandate remains. No federal money, yet the Nashville taxpayer will be on the hook for ever increasing operational, capital and expansion cost for the LRT system. That is where the author's bankruptcy headline originates.

Edited by Guest

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:52 PM, nashvylle said:

I honestly prefer BRT (with dedicated lanes in some areas or at certain times). We could implement and connect the entire city within a year and at 1/10th the cost. 

Not sexy. Not a civic feather-in-the-cap. BTW, Orlando's commuter rail looks nice, but is such a white elephant that it is cheaper to run it for free than to charge for it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, nashville_bound said:

I believe all points to be valid, but #6 speaks to the "will bankrupt Nashville" discussion...

9 Reasons Few Americans Use Transit

There are a lot of good points in there. I still can't help but think how nice it would be to live in an inner city and could get most of my necessities on foot, or if I need, use the Metro. It looks like that may be turning into a dream for me.

10 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

But they also take the bus, the RER, ride their bikes, and walk.  It's just a way of life over there.

This. I've lived in Italy, Britain and Japan....used local, regional, national and transnational trains extensively -and walked a TON - as did many  people I knew. This, of course, begs a solution to another Nashville problem : the first/last mile. With public transport; sidewalks and bike-able streets are cornerstones that must be put in place - first.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

i believe some of those points are valid.  But his 10th point is so misleading, I want to scream.  He claims that Europeans don't use public transportation much more than Americans:  34 miles for an American per year vs. 89 miles for a European per year.  What he is totally ignoring is that Europeans also ride bikes and walk.  He says that the average American drives 12,600 miles per year, but he doesn't say how many miles a year the average European drives.  I bet he doesn't mention it because it's miniscule.  Europeans, generally, much prefer to use public transportation, walk, or ride bikes than to drive.  Even those who have cars routinely use public transportation.  My old college roommate and his wife have 7 kids and live in a far-flung suburb of Paris in a pavillon (single family detached home), and they own two cars.  But they also take the bus, the RER, ride their bikes, and walk.  It's just a way of life over there.   I lived in 9 different cities in France and Belgium and had a car, but I still used public transportation or walked most of the time.  I loved the freedom of having the choice.

I spent an hour trying to type something like this yesterday. Every time I thought about the absurdity of "Europeans don't use it much," I couldn't seem to focus enough to get a coherent thought out. 

• Like 4

The last-mile observation is valid, in fact I will post a picture later that demonstrates the chaos involved trying to improve the connectivity.

I agree the article includes some opinion based on anecdotal evidence. For example, I wish he has footnoted or sourced the conclusion -

For all these reasons, just 5 percent of American commuting is by transit while 86 percent is by car. When all travel is counted, transit represents less than 1 percent of the total. Yet transit subsidies per passenger mile are 50 to 100 times as great as subsidies to driving. The solution is not to increase subsidies for one form of travel or another but to end all transportation subsidies and let people choose how to get around based on the real costs of travel.

I will try to track down these numbers. If they prove accurate, the facts buttress my existing misgivings regarding the wisdom Nashville's 6+ Billion dollar transit plan.

2 hours ago, Flatrock said:

This. I've lived in Italy, Britain and Japan....used local, regional, national and transnational trains extensively -and walked a TON - as did many  people I knew. This, of course, begs a solution to another Nashville problem : the first/last mile. With public transport; sidewalks and bike-able streets are cornerstones that must be put in place - first.