JW Marriott - 385' - 34 Floors

smeagolsfree

Man, that pedestal is ENORMOUS.

I appreciate that it seems to address the street relatively well, but it also precludes pretty much any density of tall buildings ever being built in the area (same with the Westin next door). I guess I need to come to grips with the fact that the old-style downtowns with blocks on end full of tall buildings with nary an alley in between are a thing of the past... :sigh:

EDIT: Also, I'm noticing more the flowing lines that make up the structure and how they seem to play off of the MCC architecture. Tastefully done, IMO. Still not the best use of space, but I'll take it.

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Vrtigo said:

Man, that pedestal is ENORMOUS.

I appreciate that it seems to address the street relatively well, but it also precludes pretty much any density of tall buildings ever being built in the area (same with the Westin next door). I guess I need to come to grips with the fact that the old-style downtowns with blocks on end full of tall buildings with nary an alley in between are a thing of the past... :sigh:

EDIT: Also, I'm noticing more the flowing lines that make up the structure and how they seem to play off of the MCC architecture. Tastefully done, IMO. Still not the best use of space, but I'll take it.

This block box isn't as bad as the Westin. Density at some point in time will be added on the west / southwest corner of the site; whether in the form of additional hotel space or in a mixed use form...it won't stay green space for long (maybe 10 years or so before it's sold or developed). 

I hear you on the loss of developments that feel like cities of old, but if that were to be proposed in 2016 with 2016 materials it would probably look tacky unless done in an extremely contemporary form, and even then it would look tacky...similar to the folks who lack any detailed or formal knowledge in architecture and want to build a "traditional" or "craftsman" style homewith composite materials and vinyl windows. they wind up looking like crap. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Michael Mina, a Michelin-starred chef based on the West Coast, is bringing his high-grade Bourbon Steak restaurant concept to the JW Marriott. There will also be a Starbucks and a second restaurant TBA soon. Things are really starting to shape-up for this wonderful new building.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/04/documentsacclaimed-west-coast-chef-opening.html

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Michael Mina, a Michelin-starred chef based on the West Coast, is bringing his high-grade Bourbon Steak restaurant concept to the JW Marriott. There will also be a Starbucks and a second restaurant TBA soon. Things are really starting to shape-up for this wonderful new building.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/04/documentsacclaimed-west-coast-chef-opening.html

Bourbon Steak is pretty good. One here in DC that I've been to a couple times. Not blown away, but decent for what it is. Pales in comparison to Philadelphia's Butcher and Singer or Barclay Prime, though.

Edited by Nathan_in_DC

15 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Large square hole cut out in center of the site. This is either for the crane base or elevators location. Seems to be moving forward and this is also on the MDHA agenda tomorrow.  Height is intact. 

That hole has been getting bigger by the day...

• Like 4