The Westin Music City - 27 Floors/320', 452 Rooms

Paramount747

I can understand the argument about how it looks from a distance -- it's not ugly, but from a distance, it's just a big box (see my photo in the DuJour thread)...but up close, when the details emerge, I find it to be an attractive building. I think it will look better in the skyline when it has more neighbors (Gulch Crossing, Eakin, and maybe a big hotel courtesy of Mark Bloom).

• Like 1

It all comes down to how much money and time a developer wants to pay for the architect and construction materials. The architect is working within the parameters that have been given to them by the developer and that includes the number that are working on the project. So it's just as much the developer as the architect.

There is no excuse for junk or bland architecture that  looks like a rehash of the 1980's.  Better nothing at all than junk architecture. If this is the best they can do, then there is no excitement from me. Better it stay an abandoned Cokesbury bookstore and a surface lot than 80's rehash. Why don't we all go back to rotary dial phones if we are going to settle for this!

I'm not a fan of the rendering.  The design looks ok, but it is hard to tell with that render IMO.  I do like the concept though.

How many floors of residential does the VB Westin have?  I am guessing a lot by the balconies and the 38 floors but only 236 rooms.

Wait,might have found it.  36 floors of residential according to: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/features/attraction_detail.html?propertyID=1568&attractionId=1006066850

?

It can be done John!  The VB Westin started in 2006 and was finished by 2008.  So maybe a late 2014 early 2015 construction date to be done by 2017!

Maybe we'll get more height from Turnberry if the hotel and 250 residences are in one vertical tower.

Edited by timmay143

I'm not a fan of the rendering.  The design looks ok, but it is hard to tell with that render IMO.  I do like the concept though.

How many floors of residential does the VB Westin have?  I am guessing a lot by the balconies and the 38 floors but only 236 rooms.

Wait,might have found it.  36 floors of residential according to: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/features/attraction_detail.html?propertyID=1568&attractionId=1006066850

The VB Westin went up pretty quick. All parking is above ground as well.

?

It can be done John!  The VB Westin started in 2006 and was finished by 2008.  So maybe a late 2014 early 2015 construction date to be done by 2017!

Maybe we'll get more height from Turnberry if the hotel and 250 residences are in one vertical tower.

There is no excuse for junk or bland architecture that  looks like a rehash of the 1980's.  Better nothing at all than junk architecture. If this is the best they can do, then there is no excitement from me. Better it stay an abandoned Cokesbury bookstore and a surface lot than 80's rehash. Why don't we all go back to rotary dial phones if we are going to settle for this!

Here is a novel idea, you can save your quarters and build your own building.

Great first post! Not really. I'm sure Urban Architecture is entitled to his opinion and is expressing it in a proper forum. If you disagree, that's cool, but no need to be a jerk about it. 

• Like 4

I was a bit harsh in my criticism of the architecture, but it is time for Nashville to get out of the 25-30 story box we have been in for 45 years! The L&C Tower built in 1957 is not a box!

We need some daring and striking architecture, not pieces that are 1980's rehash.

I was a bit harsh in my criticism of the architecture, but it is time for Nashville to get out of the 25-30 story box we have been in for 45 years! The L&C Tower built in 1957 is not a box!

We need some daring and striking architecture, not pieces that are 1980's rehash.

We do need some Very striking buildings, I believe its time for the city to step it up!! The designs could be better , if not now when?

• Like 1

Again guys, the market drives what is designed and who we get in the city to design them. There is no design committee that approves a plan unless there is a specific overlay and even then it is limited. With more out of town firms working on designs, then we may get a very striking design at some point, but we will have to settle for what we get. It is not up to Metro.

I don't have a lot of problems with the design of the building. It may look better once we get a better rendering. Remember everyone is a critic, good or bad.

It's not like the art that the Metro arts commission, commissions to be done. They do have a say in what is done. Now that is a whole other story not for this thread, but the work there is very lacking, IMHO.

It may have been mentioned somewhere on here already, but I noticed one of the existing brick buildings on 9th Ave is getting a small addition on the south side.   This is the building, if the link works:  

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=36.154477,-86.780581&spn=0.000002,0.000671&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=36.154477,-86.780581&panoid=d2g95i-HnI5ta2qlN9KpvA&cbp=12,21.98,,0,-2.93       The addition is already framed out.     I had thought this building was in the Westin footprint, but it must abut the Westin site.    Not sure what business is here or what is coming in.     There are no signs.    

Edited by CenterHill

It may have been mentioned somewhere on here already, but I noticed one of the existing brick buildings on 9th Ave is getting a small addition on the south side.   This is the building, if the link works:  

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=36.154477,-86.780581&spn=0.000002,0.000671&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=36.154477,-86.780581&panoid=d2g95i-HnI5ta2qlN9KpvA&cbp=12,21.98,,0,-2.93       The addition is already framed out.     I had thought this building was in the Westin footprint, but it must abut the Westin site.    Not sure what business is here or what is coming in.     There are no signs.    

I think it is some kind of nonprofit organization, but not really sure. I just know that building is not part of the Westin footprint, but the other three buildings on the block are.

• 3 weeks later...

Good to hear!  Maybe it's just me, but it is looking more and more likely that we could see this Westin, 1515 Demonbreun, the Virgin Hotel, Buckingham, Eakin, SoBro Tower, Gulch Crossing, and Hilton Garden Inn all rise at the same time.  Exciting times for Nashville!

• 1 month later...