The Westin Music City - 27 Floors/320', 452 Rooms

Paramount747

I will never understand the fixation on the number of floors.

I will concede your point. In fact the thread name is misleading. The project is 27 floors and not 30 according to the developers website. The building may reach 300 feet, but I say more 275-290. However, although I love human scaled design and pedestrian streetscapes, there still is something significant about a skyline that has a building 700 feet or taller.

However; 

I do think our fixation with floors and height is a bit ridiculous at times. Some were upset the Sobro was 33 stories and 345 feet and not 500 feet. Buildings above 300 feet are exponentially expensive to build, manage,  and maintain and Nashville is not going to get a tower over 400 feet again unless Tony builds 505 which is still a long shot. One tower above the ATT Tower would satisfy me. Then we can fill the rest of the surface lots with 10-20 story buildings right up to the street.

I would love to see a 40 story 400 foot Westin, but that is not going to happen, and hotels along with residential buildings are utilitarian. They are built to achieve the most amount of rooms or units per floor to hold down cost. 1000 rooms can very easily fit in 30 stories. The Renaissance has 673 rooms on 20 floors. The building not counting the office tower portion is 25 floors. Floor 1 is the lobby, floors 2, 3, and 4 are meeting rooms, and floors 2-25 are sleeping rooms which contain 673 rooms.

Nashville does not need a hotel over 25 floors. The market is just not there. When we have a population over 2 million, maybe.

Edited by Urban Architecture
  • Like 2

Congratulations and Thank You to council member Eric Gilmore for standing up for the current code and rejecting Mickey D's requests for a variance. Although I doubt that she carries much clout with the council, her support for what should be the planning commission's decision is a plus.

As Westin nears groundbreaking, hotel rooms still sticking point for convention business. http://m.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/10/as-westin-nears-groundbreaking-hotel-rooms-still.html

You have to wonder what the delay is. It must be with bank financing. Peabody has mentioned coming to Nashville for over a decade, and has never shown up. You have to wonder why hotels are not fighting over available land to build these hotels.

How is it delayed? Thought the plan was to start sometime in November. This project wasn't even announced all that long ago, so if it starts anytime this year, or even early next year, I would think that's a pretty good turnaround for a project of this size. 

As for hotels fighting over available land...did you not see the recent article about three different national hotel chains in a bidding war over the first baptist church site next to the MCC? (the property Tony G had under contract to buy and planned a Marriott hotel) 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...