The Westin Music City - 27 Floors/320', 452 Rooms

Paramount747

On a related note to said lake, I wonder if people in Nashville think it is still going to happen. I have a friend who lives in Elliston 23 and at lunch yesterday I started talking about how much the city will change over the next few years (Bridgestone, Sobro, etc etc). He mentioned how he was excited for the two buildings at Lake Palmer being built. 

So I wonder if lots around the city still believe it is progressing forward. He has only lived in Nashville 2-3 years, so he doesn't know the history but he believed it was still going to happen simply because the pictures were still hanging outside. 

He has only lived in Nashville 2-3 years, so he doesn't know the history but he believed it was still going to happen simply because the pictures were still hanging outside. 

On that note, as I drove by there last week I noticed that the rusted-out decrepit excuse for signage had finally been either torn down or simply fallen into the water. There may still be some decorating the fencing surrounding the pit, but his premier marquee is no more.

Yes... and an opportunity for something big and impressive right at the roundabout goes away with the flat podium abutting the curve.  Then again, the Stix that will go there is a ridiculous excuse for "sculpture".  As I readjust my expectations for the design of Nashville's new buildings more in line with reality (downward?), I am wondering if all the "free government money" in the form of TIFs can't be linked in some fashion to more enlightening design, with curves and especially height.  The Bridgestone building to me is the most disappointing of all, and no doubt a result of all the pre-announcement hype and renderings that showed a very tall curved building.  I realize that Nashville is not in the same league as Atlanta (even of 40 years ago) when an architecturally striking building could be built on spec, and not so much dictated (stripped down) by the occupant client.  Oh, and yes, I realize having Bridgestone downtown is better than in Wilco (or elsewhere)... it's just the hype and hope were much greater than the ultimate design.  At least it should look good at night. 

As for Mr. Giarratana, I get the feeling that he has a wonderful sense of design... and lets that "fly loose" during his proposal phases. And when it comes to actually building the structure, he is forced (for whatever reasons, mostly budget) to go to the same playbook everyone else in Nashville uses.  I find it not surprising that the most interesting BIG proposal from the past couple of years to actually see the construction phase is a developer from out of town (Childress Klein with Element).  Nashville developers... Eakin... Giarratana... Hensler... Corner... the brentwood partners putting up the Westin... are all putting up thoroughly bland glass boxes.  There could be a possible exception with the SoBro... but I await with cautious optimism that it will not be boxy (apparently, it will have curves). 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

It looks like there will still be a small parcel addressing the roundabout and Lea Ave. that is not part of the Westin. It will be interesting to see what happens with that little parcel as well as the parcel in between 9th and 10th that is bordered by Lea and Clark.  Once the Turnberry project starts to rise that area will probably be in for some big changes.  Oh and of course the pedestrian bridge will be near by.  

So...it sounds that the tower will be butted against 9th (and not on 8th against the MCC)...with each end pointing north and south...meaning the "swimming pool of terror" is facing due north.

Is that what it sounds like to you guys?

That's correct.  I guess the Westin sign on the roof will face that direction as well.  You would think that it would be more visible in the skyline placed on the opposite side so you would see it coming into downtown from 65S. I just hope more detailed renderings come out.  I still don't understand the design of this building.  Especially the top.

The top side of the tower facing 9th does not match the side facing 8th at all.  Don't get it.

• Like 1