5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

With the rent they will have to be paying, I am not so sure it will be all that cheap for these eateries. They will be geared more toward the tourist because its on Broadway and will be just another place for all of the loud cowboy hat wearing, boot wearing, bachelorette parties to go, to be obnoxious. They will park their little scooters outside if they are still around, show how much everyone loathes their presence in Nashville. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

With the rent they will have to be paying, I am not so sure it will be all that cheap for these eateries. They will be geared more toward the tourist because its on Broadway and will be just another place for all of the loud cowboy hat wearing, boot wearing, bachelorette parties to go, to be obnoxious. They will park their little scooters outside if they are still around, show how much everyone loathes their presence in Nashville. 

So...are you saying this place is just going to be an extension of Lower Broadway's honky tonks...with nothing to offer locals?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

The prices may not seem that bad for Alliance Bernstein or Amazon workers making 6 figures.  I think some of the honky tonk crowd will be a little intimidated. This place will be nice, at least at the start.  I think some of the aim of this development is toward office workers and not just tourists. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

The prices may not seem that bad for Alliance Bernstein or Amazon workers making 6 figures.  I think some of the honky tonk crowd will be a little intimidated. This place will be nice, at least at the start.  I think some of the aim of this development is toward office workers and not just tourists. 

What is there for the honky tonk crowd to be intimidated about?  The honky tonk crowd is not your 80's redneck crowd from the trailer parks.  Today's honky tonk crowd down there is your millennial hard-partying guys and gals who are tech savvy and are as equally influenced by pop music / pop culture as they are country music.  I think they'll eat this place up (no pun intended)...and will support whatever retail goes there better than I think even the developers believe they will (which is why I'm a little stunned that it appears there not much retail going in there in the beginning).

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

One thing I've seen little discussion on is the effect "Assembly Food Hall" will have on the Arcade. The Arcade is great architecture but has looked run down for pretty much the entire 20+ years I've worked downtown. I've bought literally thousands of lunches there but sat down to eat inside the space maybe a dozen times. For me, it's not a great experience. The new food hall will be bright, shiny and new and lots of regular downtown workers  will go there. The price point will be higher, but a lot of people go to the Arcade because it's the been the only game in town, not totally based on prices. I also think the new food hall will have "reasonably" priced lunch options.

How many of the Arcade food spots can weather the 6 month downturn in sales as many flock to try out the new options? I don't think the Arcade will close, it has a lot of fans, but I've spent 20 years wondering how great it could be with ownership that had the resources to invest in it properly. - Just one opinion.....

The Arcade can be a bit of a hike for those of us in SoBro. As someone who works in SoBro but often grabs lunch with friends who work in the core, I think this will be a welcome meeting spot for casual weekday lunches. I have found myself in this scenario often trying to find a quick, casual, non-bar option that is midway between myself and the person I am meeting for lunch.  While a lot of the bars on Broadway serve food, it feels weird and somewhat unprofessional walking into a bar at noon on a Tuesday, even if it is just for food.  I especially appreciate the focus on local options and not the Subway/Panera/Chipotle mix that typically dominates the "fast casual" lunch scene.

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

So...are you saying this place is just going to be an extension of Lower Broadway's honky tonks...with nothing to offer locals?

Sort of, as a lot of the folks that will be doing business in there will probably be 80% tourist and 20% local. Most people that are local with any sense typically steer clear of Broadway because it is mostly tourist.

Sure everybody brings their out of town guest there, but I know most of my friends stay away. I go downtown for reasons other than eating as I walk but do not buy anything on lower broad. I cant even tell you the last time I walked into one of those ratholes. Besides it will be a cold day in you know where before I give Steve Smith any more money to further his cause redneckability.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Sort of, as a lot of the folks that will be doing business in there will probably be 80% tourist and 20% local. Most people that are local with any sense typically steer clear of Broadway because it is mostly tourist.

Sure everybody brings their out of town guest there, but I know most of my friends stay away. I go downtown for reasons other than eating as I walk but do not buy anything on lower broad. I cant even tell you the last time I walked into one of those ratholes. Besides it will be a cold day in you know where before I give Steve Smith any more money to further his cause redneckability.

Agreed. You also have to figure in the sheer number of people with 'money' moving downtown in all the swanky high-rises. What type of lifestyle are they going to experience? Do they want to be in the midst of an endless array of deep fried this and that? Or will they expect more luxury, which is lacking? Is Nashville blending these lifestyles appropriately? There are a lot of questions poking around in my mind. 

Edited by BNXS

I think Nashville will end up with a 2 part Downtown-most of the tourists will stay on Broadway/2nd Ave., while the locals and business travelers will gravitate towards Downtowns' center- with a revitalized Blues/Jazz/Cabaret Printers Alley and the restaurants/bars/shops on 4th and 5th Avenues.

As for the Arcade it would be nice to see that develop into an international food marketplace as a sort of counterweight to the Public Market @5th and Broad. 

Last time I was down there I saw an Ethiopian and a Greek place in the Arcade-hope they are still there.

Of course there will be some overlap-it seems like locals like the Acme Feed Store!

• Like 1

I think tourists will flock here. Just don't underestimate the effect a 24 story office building with hundreds of office workers, towering over and feeding into this site will have. I still think the intention is this to be more a place where workers will feel more comfortable than at Kid Rock's joint (Mon-Fri). The Bobby and Dream hotels are full of tourists but are great places that also caters to office workers - Monday - Friday. I think 5th and Broad wants to be more like these spots than lower broad. Most of what I'm seeing announced are not music venues with food, but primarily food venues.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 4

On 8/13/2019 at 12:05 PM, bnacincy said:

I think Nashville will end up with a 2 part Downtown-most of the tourists will stay on Broadway/2nd Ave., while the locals and business travelers will gravitate towards Downtowns' center- with a revitalized Blues/Jazz/Cabaret Printers Alley and the restaurants/bars/shops on 4th and 5th Avenues.

This is exactly right. The area around Printers Alley is already the area of downtown for the hip nontourists to eat and drink. It will only get better. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 11:31 AM, smeagolsfree said:

The tourists won't be sobered up and awake enough to get over there for weekday lunch. So this will become the lunch destination for downtown workers. Slower tourist seasons like winter it will probably be the spot pre-Preds / concerts, etc. It will have plenty to offer locals I think.

• Like 3