Bank of America Stadium Renovation

kermit

In 2011, eight venues saw action. They'll use the same number in 2015 in Chile.  With the field expanding from 12 to 16 teams for 2016, they might add additional venues.  They probably won't use baseball venues for such a major tournament like they are this summer for the Int'l Champions Cup.  This is total speculation on my part, but you'd figure Charlotte would have a shot seeing as we've hosted Gold Cup and Champions Cup matches.

Not to mention a WIDE, GRASS pitch with 74000+ capacity in a country where many similar-sized venues have a narrow field with turf designed only for football. I would, however, expect venues like New York to roll out sod for the occasion if they could participate.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I met two guys in Sioux Falls, SD last week who work for Daktronics, the company that's building and installing the new display.  Daktronics is the largest manufacturer of dynamic signage in America and its factory/HQ is in Brookings, SD.  The guys, who actually live here in Charlotte, said that the basics of the display are finished and all will be operational by early June.

Heck, I even like the new flag (aka pennant) poles that they've put around the top of the stadium.  You're right, nonillogical, it gives the stadium more presence now that it has more height.  And this is just stage 1.

• 3 weeks later...

NFL document for Super Bowl bid requirements leaked.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/262253921.html?page=1&c=y

Of interest: 

The hotel requirements (p49) indicate that for a 75,000 seat stadium, there must be 27,000 hotel rooms within a 60 minute drive (peak traffic), 19000 of which must be top quality, full service rooms.

Where do we stand with regards to that?

I'm assuming we fall pretty sure on the top quality, full service rooms.

I posted in the carolina panthers thread about this, but this thread makes more sense...whoops. Going to delete that post, so I will post my thoughts here:

I really despise the NFL, they are such scum bags. After reading this (and the some of the document itself), it becomes more apparent that like the Olympics, hosting the Super Bowl may not be as beneficial as it seems.

NFL document for Super Bowl bid requirements leaked.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/262253921.html?page=1&c=y

Of interest: 

The hotel requirements (p49) indicate that for a 75,000 seat stadium, there must be 27,000 hotel rooms within a 60 minute drive (peak traffic), 19000 of which must be top quality, full service rooms.

How did Jax meet any of these requirements when they landed their SuperBowl? It couldn't have been just the cruise ships 

I believe Jax Beach is within the 60 minute drive requirement and there are quite a few hotel rooms there. And if I remember they docked a couple of cruise ships. If you take away those two factors these is no way in hell Jacksonville proper would have gotten the greenlight.

I believe Jax Beach is within the 60 minute drive requirement and there are quite a few hotel rooms there. And if I remember they docked a couple of cruise ships. If you take away those two factors these is no way in hell Jacksonville proper would have gotten the greenlight.

You are correct. Also don't forget about Ponte Vedra (home to The Players Championship) and St. Augustine Beaches. They are both within 60 miles and have numerous hotels as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Heading East on WiIkinson Boulevard as it becomes 277 I was astounded to see a giant bright illuminated green banner above the BAC stadium. Then it became red. Then I realized the new display board was being tested. It turned me around like a leaning silo.

Even in the noonday sun it was brilliant, and caused me confusion.

The Observer has a photo gallery of the Stadium upgrades... They are getting pretty close to completion. As you can probably tell, it looks like they new video boards have the capability to use the full screen for replays, but it can also be split into different segments as well. All in all, a pretty nice upgrade to what we had previously.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/06/25/5004526/stadium-renovations-062514.html

I flew back into town from a weekend Vegas getaway last night and I couldn't believe how bright those damned screens are. They were playing Panthers footage as I was landing and I could actually see it (without binoculars) from the plane. Then driving into town from the airport, it looked like some nuclear meltdown happened around uptown - this giant glow of light lit up the sky, all coming from the two screens, almost overwhelming the lights of the skyscrapers. I have to wonder if this annoys the residents at Catalyst and soon-to-be Element. I mean, damn - it was really, really bright. Just amazing that you can actually make out what is on the screens from an airplane, though.

And for those wondering about the screen configuration, I am sorry to say that last night, the screen was split roughly in thirds - two Miller Lite ads on either side and a roughly 4x3 aspect ratio section of game footage in the middle. It might have been slightly bigger than 1/3 of the screen, but not by much. :( Hopefully it isn't this way all the time. Maybe we'll see some more testing in the coming days with different configurations.

^I saw some photos on either Facebook or the Observer that shows numerous configurations for how of the screen can be displayed. One of which was the entire video board. So I don't think it's limited in terms of what can be displayed and how large the display can be. Appears to be a lot more flexible than the old video boards. 

Archived