Bank of America Stadium Renovation

kermit

^I was pondering the cost of building the Coliseum in 1988 and if that amount could have instead paid for a retractable roof and HVAC on the Stadium in the early 90's.  It's a What If scenario...   

For example, San Antonio built the Alamodome in 1993 to house both Spurs basketball and an NFL franchise that never arrived.  They've hosted 3 final fours but no big game obviously...

Agreed, in today's dollars it would be astronomical to put a retractable roof on BofA.  

Also, the NFL Comissioner told Atlanta: no new Retractable roof stadium, no Super Bowl:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/falcons/2010-11-11-roger-goodell-atlanta_N.htm

ATL bit the bullet and will now build a $1B retractable roof stadium to host Super Bowls and Final Fours.

I'm sure the same rules apply to Charlotte... 

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ATL hosted the Super Bowl in 1994 and their winter weather is not much different than ours.  They hosted a second one in 2000 so who's to say it wouldn't have happened here?

The Georgia DOME is indoors.  Winter weather is therefore not an issue.

^I was pondering the cost of building the Coliseum in 1988 and if that amount could have instead paid for a retractable roof and HVAC on the Stadium in the early 90's.  It's a What If scenario...   

For example, San Antonio built the Alamodome in 1993 to house both Spurs basketball and an NFL franchise that never arrived.  They've hosted 3 final fours but no big game obviously...

Agreed, in today's dollars it would be astronomical to put a retractable roof on BofA.  

Also, the NFL Comissioner told Atlanta: no new Retractable roof stadium, no Super Bowl:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/falcons/2010-11-11-roger-goodell-atlanta_N.htm

ATL bit the bullet and will now build a $1B retractable roof stadium to host Super Bowls and Final Fours.

I'm sure the same rules apply to Charlotte... 

Not meaning to attack you with two posts in a row, but this article says nothing about Roger Goodell requiring a retractable roof.  It says that ATL (who actually owns the venue) considered offering a a retractable roof as a renovation, implicitly to keep the Falcons there and not seek a new venue.

The future of the Superbowl location is clearly in question and the past one in NYC bodes well for places like ATL, CLT, Nashville, etc.  However, the amenities offered by most newer stadiums are far better than those of BOA Stadium.  Hopefully, the three phases of renovations will be put the venue in a place that can compete with others for the SB.  However, there are other infrastructure issues in CLT that, from my understanding, need to be addressed (1,000+ room hotel has been mentioned on here) as well as the stadium.  I am admittedly less familiar with these infrastructure issues as others on this board.  However, as a proud PSL owner, I am excited to see the renovations, and I think they are doing it right by focusing on the access issues first.  I think phases II & III will be focused on amenities.  Hopefully, we will have better food options, more concourse TV's, better wifi access and content, among other improvements.

The Georgia DOME is indoors.  Winter weather is therefore not an issue.

^NAW REALLY?  I was referring to all the activities that occur OUTSIDE (FanFest, concerts, etc.)...

This ESPN article was critiquing CLT from hotels to infrastructure to climate.  ATL's weather is similar to CLT's this time of year, so I was defending the city against the critique that weather could be an issue for all the outdoor events surrounding the Super Bowl... 

http://espn.go.com/b...st-a-super-bowl

Not meaning to attack you with two posts in a row, but this article says nothing about Roger Goodell requiring a retractable roof.  It says that ATL (who actually owns the venue) considered offering a a retractable roof as a renovation, implicitly to keep the Falcons there and not seek a new venue.

The future of the Superbowl location is clearly in question and the past one in NYC bodes well for places like ATL, CLT, Nashville, etc.  However, the amenities offered by most newer stadiums are far better than those of BOA Stadium.  Hopefully, the three phases of renovations will be put the venue in a place that can compete with others for the SB.  However, there are other infrastructure issues in CLT that, from my understanding, need to be addressed (1,000+ room hotel has been mentioned on here) as well as the stadium.  I am admittedly less familiar with these infrastructure issues as others on this board.  However, as a proud PSL owner, I am excited to see the renovations, and I think they are doing it right by focusing on the access issues first.  I think phases II & III will be focused on amenities.  Hopefully, we will have better food options, more concourse TV's, better wifi access and content, among other improvements.

Retractable roof or not, Goodell was sending a message that facilities built in the early 90's shouldn't even be considered for another Super Bowl when compared to Cowboys Stadium, NYC, etc.  The message is loud and clear: 20-year old facilities don't make the cut unless you are Miami, Tampa, or New Orleans.  The next three Super Bowls (HOU, PHX, SF) will all be held in stadiums built in the 2000's and after.  

I can never see Nashville hosting one, even DC is a stretch (Dan Snyder wants a new stadium anyway).  Seattle is about the only northern open-air possiblity due to the team's recent success, acoustics/atmosphere, Paul Allen's $$$, etc.

The 2018 Super Bowl will be decided between Minneapolis (new indoor stadium), Indy (successfully hosted in 2012), and NOLA.

The NFL sent representatives (if not Goodell himself?) back when the Panther's were planning their renovations. I'm positive I read somewhere that the upgrades were planned with hosting a SB in mind.

Edit: This isn't what I was referring to, but it speaks to the idea that when renovations are completed BoA will be SB ready. The pertinent quote is "A well-placed source with the team told WBTV, "When the construction is finished our stadium will be Super Bowl ready.""

http://www.wistv.com/story/24604599/could-charlotte-be-on-track-to-land-the-super-bowl-

With three years of renovations to come, it will be interesting to see just what all they have in mind to get BoA back to its former glory.  Hotel space in/near uptown has an infinite way to go before Charlotte can dream of hosting the super bowl.  Charlotte really needs to up tourism and new business (get some more spec office space) industries in order for mass amounts of hotel space to be viable uptown outside of events.  The new hotel bubble will pop if people don't have a reason to visit Charlotte.

• 2 weeks later...

If the NFL decides to move the upcoming Super Bowl from Arizona (seems almost definite if their pro-discrimination bill is not vetoed), is it possible that Charlotte could swoop in and be ready with only 11 months notice?  I would hope that the city and team are at least already talking with the NFL about the possibility.

If the NFL decides to move the upcoming Super Bowl from Arizona (seems almost definite if their pro-discrimination bill is not vetoed), is it possible that Charlotte could swoop in and be ready with only 11 months notice? I would hope that the city and team are at least already talking with the NFL about the possibility.

But is North Cackalacky any gay friendlier?

If the NFL decides to move the upcoming Super Bowl from Arizona (seems almost definite if their pro-discrimination bill is not vetoed), is it possible that Charlotte could swoop in and be ready with only 11 months notice?  I would hope that the city and team are at least already talking with the NFL about the possibility.

I wouldn't expect it, because it has been said that this summer is "phase 1" of a multi-year process to get the stadium "Superbowl ready" (although it appears to be the biggest phase.)  Also, I believe our hotel room count is still below the NFL's preference.

Not to get too far off topic... I guess as a state we are only backwards enough to not allow marriage.  At least we don't pretend to be religiously persecuted by having to serve coffee to a human being.

Please get the Super Bowl though!!!  As a Raleigh resident, it would be close enough for us to benefit from the proximity to the events without having to deal with all the headaches!

I doubt it. Charlotte's biggest problem with attracting a Super Bowl is the lack of hotel space uptown. There are more hotels in the pipeline, but obviously those can't be built in a 12 month time frame. I'd look to somewhere like New Orleans or maybe Miami to possibly step in since they are well accomplished at hosting Super Bowls. Assuming they don't have something else already going on that week of course. 

Well, there are no bills on the table in NC to ban gays from restaurants. So there's that...

From Wikipedia:

North Carolina outlaws discrimination based on religion, color, national origin, age, sex or handicap, but not sexual orientation or gender identity... the cities of Raleigh and Charlotte have laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_North_Carolina#Discrimination_protection

So to answer everyone's question, if the NFL could host the Super Bowl every year in South Florida, they would...

I doubt it. Charlotte's biggest problem with attracting a Super Bowl is the lack of hotel space uptown. There are more hotels in the pipeline, but obviously those can't be built in a 12 month time frame. I'd look to somewhere like New Orleans or maybe Miami to possibly step in since they are well accomplished at hosting Super Bowls. Assuming they don't have something else already going on that week of course. 

Well, there are no bills on the table in NC to ban gays from restaurants. So there's that...

NC has LGBT social equality issues and unfortunately has taken steps backward vs forward.  That said I agree with Wend28  I don't see the Arizona issue being particularly relevant for Charlotte's hopes of hosting a Super Bowl.     Or to be clear - it won't be an issue by the time Charlotte would be eligible to even put forth a viable proposal to host. 

NC has LGBT social equality issues and unfortunately has taken steps backward vs forward.  That said I agree with Wend28  I don't see the Arizona issue being particularly relevant for Charlotte's hopes of hosting a Super Bowl.     Or to be clear - it won't be an issue by the time Charlotte would be eligible to even put forth a viable proposal to host. 

Understood. My point was as backwards as the Carolinas can be in terms of equality, it was on the verge of at least not being worse than Arizona. Though their governor apparently is going to veto that bill (thankfully). Thus ending any real long-shot speculation about Charlotte and BofA Stadium hosting the Super Bowl next year. I had heard that Tampa was going to be the NFL's backup plan prior to this veto announcement. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/01/united-states-to-host-copa-america-centenario-in-june-2016/

Copa America Centenario, a tournament hosting the best international soccer teams in the America's, will be played in USA during the summer of 2016.  The Tournament will host the likes of soccer giants Brazil & Argentina, and local favorites :P...

The stadiums will be submitted by a bidding process, and with the new renovations, the additional renovations of 2015, and the rent-free event dates for the city, we'd be very fortunate to host a game or multiple games, especially if we could land a game featuring USA.

In 2011, eight venues saw action. They'll use the same number in 2015 in Chile.  With the field expanding from 12 to 16 teams for 2016, they might add additional venues.  They probably won't use baseball venues for such a major tournament like they are this summer for the Int'l Champions Cup.  This is total speculation on my part, but you'd figure Charlotte would have a shot seeing as we've hosted Gold Cup and Champions Cup matches.

Archived