Bank of America Stadium Renovation

kermit

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far there have been some fairly mediocre crowds for the Guinness International Championship, especially yesterday in Pittsburgh. So it's exciting to see lots of reports coming out about how the Liverpool, AC Milan game is a virtual sell-out! Apparently they've sold over 60,000 tickets so far.

Hopefully Copa America is paying attention..."cough, cough".

So far there have been some fairly mediocre crowds for the Guinness International Championship, especially yesterday in Pittsburgh. So it's exciting to see lots of reports coming out about how the Liverpool, AC Milan game is a virtual sell-out! Apparently they've sold over 60,000 tickets so far.

Hopefully Copa America is paying attention..."cough, cough".

Charlotte had the second largest crowd for the tournament after the Big House, even larger than FedEx Field in DC for the ManU-Inter match.  At a minimum Charlotte deserves a Gold Cup match in 2015.

I was flying from Atlanta to Richmond last night, we were at roughly 30,000 ft (FL300 for all the pilot types) about halfway through our trip when I noticed an incredibly bright video board. I started looking around to see if I could find out where I was. I finally figured out our position when I noticed Mountain Island Lake. I know people have talked about the boards being bright, but wow. We were several miles northwest of Mountain Island Lake over Lincoln county at 30,000ish feet and I could see the video boards.

• 1 month later...

I didn't realize that the lights on the domes were going to be animated, almost makes the stadium look like a carnival ride, a little too much going on IMO.

http://youtu.be/CK79J6yBcSk

It had a few other sequences/patterns it went through, but they weren't much different overall.

I didn't realize that the lights on the domes were going to be animated, almost makes the stadium look like a carnival ride, a little too much going on IMO.

http://youtu.be/CK79J6yBcSk

It had a few other sequences/patterns it went through, but they weren't much different overall.

Even when they are stagnant, like most nights, I've thought they looked out of place compared to the rest of the stadium's exterior. I originally thought that each dome was supposed to be completely transparent glass with glow lights illuminating through them (the original renderings).

• 1 month later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/11/liverpool-ac-milan-friendly-worth-8m.html

BJ article on the economic returns of hosting Liverpool vs AC Milan back in August. "Total economic impact, including the ever-dubious spinoff effects of any event, was $16.5 million, the visitors authority determined."

I really hope this means we will push to get more world-class fixtures in the coming years (and continue to show support).

^Amen to that. I don't know how that number compares to other events, but I assume that's pretty good.   I am a big Liverpool fan and of course went to the game.  It was an incredible experience as I doubt I will ever make it to Anfield (also interesting given Balotelli's subsequent move from AC Milan to Liverpool). To see all of uptown crawling with thousands of people from all over the Southeast and beyond wearing red was really cool.  I watched interviews with Brendan Rodgers and some of the players and they were really impressed with the reception they got in Charlotte (it didn't hurt that the weather was perfect that day). The promoters had to notice too, so I think we will see more.  Heck, I'd even go watch Chelsea if they came to town (wearing red of course), but am hoping Liverpool comes back (presumably without Balotelli)!

^Amen to that. I don't know how that number compares to other events, but I assume that's pretty good.   I am a big Liverpool fan and of course went to the game.  It was an incredible experience as I doubt I will ever make it to Anfield (also interesting given Balotelli's subsequent move from AC Milan to Liverpool). To see all of uptown crawling with thousands of people from all over the Southeast and beyond wearing red was really cool.  I watched interviews with Brendan Rodgers and some of the players and they were really impressed with the reception they got in Charlotte (it didn't hurt that the weather was perfect that day). The promoters had to notice too, so I think we will see more.  Heck, I'd even go watch Chelsea if they came to town (wearing red of course), but am hoping Liverpool comes back (presumably without Balotelli)!

Also a Liverpool fan.  After their play so far this season, I'm not sure we can call that event "World Class", haha.  Maybe "Football League 1" class....ugh.

I hope Charlotte is again host to the Gold Cup in 2015 and maybe even the Copa America in 2016.

The Copa would be my main hope! During the tourney this summer, we outsold everyone but the Big House for Man U. Granted, several of the other games were played in Fenway and Yankee Stadium, which have a smaller capacity. We did whoop places like Soldier Field and Sunlife Stadium though.

Also a Liverpool fan.  After their play so far this season, I'm not sure we can call that event "World Class", haha.  Maybe "Football League 1" class....ugh.

When I first saw your response, I read it "Alas a Liverpool fan" with the following as an insult from a likely Chelsea fan.  Am glad to see on a closer reading that you are a fellow Reds fan and were sympathizing.  Yes, I agree but that's a whole other topic.  Don't get me started  .  .  .  but since you did already, just because someone has a neurotic impulse to bite and could eat an apple through a fence with his protruding overbite is no reason to let them go to  Barcelona.   I heard they may be thinking of selling Sterling too, in which case I suspect John Henry will end up being as popular as Gillette and Hicks.  (sorry to the fortunate non-Liverpool fans to whom this will be meaningless or boring).  

When I first saw your response, I read it "Alas a Liverpool fan" with the following as an insult from a likely Chelsea fan.  Am glad to see on a closer reading that you are a fellow Reds fan and were sympathizing.  Yes, I agree but that's a whole other topic.  Don't get me started  .  .  .  but since you did already, just because someone has a neurotic impulse to bite and could eat an apple through a fence with his protruding overbite is no reason to let them go to  Barcelona.   I heard they may be thinking of selling Sterling too, in which case I suspect John Henry will end up being as popular as Gillette and Hicks.  (sorry to the fortunate non-Liverpool fans to whom this will be meaningless or boring).  

On a positive note, maybe the tickets will be cheaper next time if things keep going the way they are.  I don't remember paying much if anything when Bolton Wanderers (at the time still in the EPL but at the bottom) came to town and played the Charlotte Eagles at UNCC a few years ago.

When I first saw your response, I read it "Alas a Liverpool fan" with the following as an insult from a likely Chelsea fan. Am glad to see on a closer reading that you are a fellow Reds fan and were sympathizing. Yes, I agree but that's a whole other topic. Don't get me started . . . but since you did already, just because someone has a neurotic impulse to bite and could eat an apple through a fence with his protruding overbite is no reason to let them go to Barcelona. I heard they may be thinking of selling Sterling too, in which case I suspect John Henry will end up being as popular as Gillette and Hicks. (sorry to the fortunate non-Liverpool fans to whom this will be meaningless or boring).

I would be very unhappy if they sold Sterling.

I had no idea Bolton came here a few years ago. That's really cool. Regarding Liverpool in Charlotte, I think there is a good chance they come back in the near future. Guinness didn't want Charlotte as a location but Liverpool actually pushed for it. Apparently (this is what they told us so who knows what the truth is) Liverpool identifies Charlotte as a major growth market for its fan base. At least it seems justified now after we put 70k in the stands for their game. Imagine if we'd played Real Madrid, Man City or Bayern!?

• 4 weeks later...

http://globoesporte.globo.com/blogs/especial-blog/bastidores-fc/post/copa-america-dos-eua-em-2016-ja-tem-24-pre-sedes-miami-esta-fora.html?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=Esporte&utm_campaign=globoesportecom

This document (Portuguese) lists possible host cities for Copa. We're still in so far. No idea why half of the cities are listed in a different color, but we are not the same color as Seattle, NY, LA, DC, etc. I'd assume that means we're in the less popular half of this list.

Archived