Bank of America Stadium Renovation

kermit

Orlando is toying with the idea of making stadium subsidies tied to equity (or revenue sharing) with the soccer team that will play in the new dedicated stadium.

Seems like a pretty reasonable approach to pro sports subsidies.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/politics/2013/09/radical-idea-changing-how-cities-finance-stadiums/6792/

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something I found pretty interesting is we have ranked in the top 8 for average attendance for at least the past 8 years. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2013

We also have one of the longest consecutive sellout streaks I believe.

It's pretty easy to be near the tops when you guarantee that 66,000 of your 72,000 seats will be sold to PSL owners.

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember correctly the revised deal requires the team to stay for six years with an option for another four. Not sure who gets to exercise it though.

Wish the deal could have been for more than that.   Because, I'm worried whats going to happen to team after Jerry Richardson is gone and since he owns the Stadium and the team it could be an issue.   It is said he wants the team to stay in Charlotte but that is really out of his control.  As long as another team goes to LA in the next 5 years or so we should be fine?

Wish the deal could have been for more than that.   Because, I'm worried whats going to happen to team after Jerry Richardson is gone and since he owns the Stadium and the team it could be an issue.   It is said he wants the team to stay in Charlotte but that is really out of his control.  As long as another team goes to LA in the next 5 years or so we should be fine?

In reality, if someone has enough dough to buy the Panthers ($1B+), that clause wouldn't keep the team here. They could afford the buyout, no problem. That being said, Panthers are like the 7th or 8th option for an NFL team to relocate. There are teams in far worse shape (see Jaguars, Raiders, Chargers, etc). The Panthers makes money, are on the upswing, don't have dwindling fan support or play in a stadium that has concrete falling down. Whenever Jerry passes, the NFL is not going hand the team to a buyer who has the sole intent of moving it. There will be someone local that will step up (I know Jerry has already had a few indirect offers from groups with Charlotte/Carolina ties.). 

It would be pretty sweet if Richardson put some sort of clause in the contract for the sale of the team that requires the new owners to conduct business here in Charlotte for X number of years before entertaining relocation prospects. I'm sure something like that has been done in professional sports somewhere before right? I generally don't trust these uber rich franchise owners in anything they say, but I do feel that Jerry really believes this team belongs right where it is.

• 2 months later...

Now those are some modern day video boards. The one thing I've always hated at BofA Stadium is how small they are. This is a huge upgrade IMO. I wouldn't worry about the ads. Those are there for prototyping than anything else. I'd imagine there would be some of stats or other game related information. 

Couple of more images:

Edit:  Video Tour of renovations:  http://www.panthers.com/media-vault/videos/Bank-of-America-Stadium-Enhancements/f91b2fb3-d268-4e65-a5d3-696d38b3cf09

Not really sure I understand the point of the "new bays" ?

See Video tour I posted above (The twitter pic is only showing you the cut-away)  It allows adding a number of escalators to stadium enabling quicker movement of people while maintaining the look of the stadium.

It also offers four spaces on top level that appears to be areas that can be rented (e.g. corp functions.)

See Video tour I posted above (The twitter pic is only showing you the cut-away)  It allows adding a number of escalators to stadium enabling quicker movement of people while maintaining the look of the stadium.

It also offers four spaces on top level that appears to be areas that can be rented (e.g. corp functions.)

I am not understanding "Glass Dome" above entrances. I am at work so I cannot listen to the sound... Anyone care to explain?

So this is just Phase 1 will take 3 years is what it sounds like to me.  Any ideas for other phases?

I am not understanding "Glass Dome" above entrances. I am at work so I cannot listen to the sound... Anyone care to explain?

The two existing domes at each entrance are being converted to glass and will light up.

I'm confused about the domes.  They already light up.

They light up similar to a domed indoor track with the glow of white light under a dull material versus a brighter more vibrant light through glass as planned.

Keep in mind this is the last mentioned item of the overall renovations and certainly meant to be an enhancement (glass domes) versus a major renovation aspect (bays with escalators, ribbon screens, new jumbotrons)

Archived