Bank of America Stadium Renovation

kermit

These jumbotrons will be 13,356 sqft. That's second in the NFL next to Reliant Stadium in Houston at 14,549 sqft. Not bad! A few other comparisons: The Dallas Cowboys' jumbotrons are 11,520 sqft. and the one at Charlotte Motor Speedway is 15,112 sqft.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this is just Phase 1 will take 3 years is what it sounds like to me.  Any ideas for other phases?

The two existing domes at each entrance are being converted to glass and will light up.

The scoreboards, ribbon boards, escalators, and the lighted domes should be done by July 1 of this year

These jumbotrons will be 13,356 sqft. That's second in the NFL next to Reliant Stadium in Houston at 14,549 sqft. Not bad! A few other comparisons: The Dallas Cowboys' jumbotrons are 11,520 sqft. and the one at Charlotte Motor Speedway is 15,112 sqft.

Size is relative.  They initially touted the replacements in there now as one of the biggest in the NFL...problem is they use half of the board for ads, not video.  Other NFL stadiums I have been actually use the whole board for video, not half.  Even look at the renderings they have....of course half of the screen is a Pepsi ad! 

The "new" scoreboard is nothing more than a bigger revenue generator.  Bigger ads, higher rates (and free upgrade).  Has nothing really to do with improving the fan experience.  Same with the new ribbon boards.  The whole game they just run damn Bojangles ads etc.  Try and find an actual NFL score or god forbid game stats.  If you blink they are gone.

Size is relative.  They initially touted the replacements in there now as one of the biggest in the NFL...problem is they use half of the board for ads, not video.  Other NFL stadiums I have been actually use the whole board for video, not half.  Even look at the renderings they have....of course half of the screen is a Pepsi ad! 

The "new" scoreboard is nothing more than a bigger revenue generator.  Bigger ads, higher rates (and free upgrade).  Has nothing really to do with improving the fan experience.  Same with the new ribbon boards.  The whole game they just run damn Bojangles ads etc.  Try and find an actual NFL score or god forbid game stats.  If you blink they are gone.

What you're pointing out is exactly the problem in a lot of NFL stadiums today. The league has an initiative to improve the technology (e.g. wifi connections) and in-game experience to get more people to the game and away from their flat screens at home. BofA Stadium is headed in that direction as well. The video boards as depicted in the renderings are just a sampling of what it could look like. I doubt you see ads taking up that much space after this thing is installed. That being said, I grew up in the days when none of this crap was relevant. You went to games, you cheered loudly. You didn't show up in the 2nd quarter. You paid attention to the game and not your fantasy stats or Facebook posts on your smart phone. I miss those days... Sadly that's gone and never coming back.

The remaining landlocked parcel of land has finally been acquired by the city and Panthers.  The owners were originally asking $3M for the land, but the city acquired it for $555K. 

The article claims that the escalators will extend into this area.  I always thought from the renderings that we were seeing an exploded view of the escalators being where the ramps are now.  I didn't think the escalators will jut out away from the stadium.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/01/16/4617464/tiny-parcel-next-to-panthers-stadium.html

The remaining landlocked parcel of land has finally been acquired by the city and Panthers.  The owners were originally asking $3M for the land, but the city acquired it for $555K. 

The article claims that the escalators will extend into this area.  I always thought from the renderings that we were seeing an exploded view of the escalators being where the ramps are now.  I didn't think the escalators will jut out away from the stadium.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/01/16/4617464/tiny-parcel-next-to-panthers-stadium.html

Yep they jut out of the stadium, the ramps will stay for the non-lazy people.

Yep they jut out of the stadium, the ramps will stay for the non-lazy people.

I don't think the escalators will jut out. I think the bays that will contain the escalators will extend out from the stadium in much the same way that the bays that contain the ramps do now. I think the escalators will run roughly parallel to the stadium sides (again much like the ramps).

That guy still got a hell of a deal!  I'm not sure what leverage he would have had with the city in negotiations.

from Hartigans - 1/25/2014

12140534646_4e66e7c717_o.jpg

This makes me both happy and sad.  But tis the spirit of Charlotte to tear down the old and replace with shiny, sterile newness.

Of little mention so far, I like the pennants that it appears they will be flying around the crest of the bowl in addition to the new screens.  Adds just a little bit of height to the stadium and draws your eyes away from the fact that there will be giant blocks at each end of a very sultry curvature.

EDIT: forgot quote

This makes me both happy and sad.  But tis the spirit of Charlotte to tear down the old and replace with shiny, sterile newness.

Of little mention so far, I like the pennants that it appears they will be flying around the crest of the bowl in addition to the new screens.  Adds just a little bit of height to the stadium and draws your eyes away from the fact that there will be giant blocks at each end of a very sultry curvature.

EDIT: forgot quote

Yea, but in the spirit of keeping up with the rest of the NFL, tearing down the old video boards and replacing them with much larger and up to date ones is a necessity. Out of all the NFL stadiums out there, the Panthers had some of the worst and smallest video boards. They needed to go. Heck, I've been to a lot of NCAA stadiums that had more impressive ones. 

Yea, but in the spirit of keeping up with the rest of the NFL, tearing down the old video boards and replacing them with much larger and up to date ones is a necessity. Out of all the NFL stadiums out there, the Panthers had some of the worst and smallest video boards. They needed to go. Heck, I've been to a lot of NCAA stadiums that had more impressive ones. 

I saw an infographic somewhere not too long ago that showed that they were actually around 12th biggest in the NFL, not really that bad. The Seahawks have a really nice stadium and yet they have one of the very smallest video boards. Anyway, I'm psyched for the new ones!

It's a hulking piece of concrete built in 1994.  

That other piece of concrete, the Coliseum hosted the Final Four in 1994.  If only the $$ for the Coliseum could have been utilized to put a retractable roof and HVAC on the Stadium instead.  The Hornets would have made a killing selling 20,000+ tickets using half of the stadium like they did anyway at the Coliseum, and CLT would have hosted multiple Final Fours by now.

ATL hosted the Super Bowl in 1994 and their winter weather is not much different than ours.  They hosted a second one in 2000 so who's to say it wouldn't have happened here?

The Hornets would have then demanded their own arena but didn't that happen anyway???  

What If indeed...

^Hmmmmm.

It cost British Columbia over $500 million dollars to change BC Place in Vancouver from a dome to a retractable roof stadium (with other renovations). That's nearly twice the cost of TWC Arena.  I figure the amount to renovate and put a retractable roof & HVAC system in BoA Stadium would be astronomical.

Archived