Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

Would this not be more or less a B&B. Great idea for the area.

Yeah, I'm not sure what all is behind the opposition to a B&B.

I know that there is a lot of opposition now to the historic home event spaces due to some abuse that has taken place.  The Demonbreun House in Woodland-in-Waverly is a prime example of that.  Some property owners in Woodland-in-Wavery recently wanted to open a B&B, but the neighbors opposed it until they swore in front of the Metro Council that they would not have it be an historic home event space like The Demonbreun House.  Ultimately a handshake took place on the Council floor and the opposition dropped their opposition and the Council approved the rezoning request for the B&B.

They are calling it a boutique hotel. Not much difference because it is in a home. For that matter he could turn it into 1 room apartments. Parking concerns could be part of the opposition, but it looks like the main concern is that it is a commercial venture coming to the area. THey need to get used to it. Nashville is changing by leaps and bounds, and neighborhoods should be ready for change. At least he is not tearing a treasure down. The article says it was designed by a student of Frank L. Wright.

• Like 1

They are calling it a boutique hotel. Not much difference because it is in a home. For that matter he could turn it into 1 room apartments. Parking concerns could be part of the opposition, but it looks like the main concern is that it is a commercial venture coming to the area. THey need to get used to it. Nashville is changing by leaps and bounds, and neighborhoods should be ready for change. At least he is not tearing a treasure down. The article says it was designed by a student of Frank L. Wright.

I have to disagree with you there.  The attitude that "neighborhoods need to get used to" commercial activity on residentially-zoned parcels is incorrect, even from the Planning Department's outlook.  It's actually quite the other way around.  If the East Nashville Community Plan document shows residential only on that parcel, then that is what it is going to stay barring a Community Plan Amendment, plus a land use policy change, both of which would require community support at the Planning Commission and Metro Council public hearings.  

Even the Landmark Overlay District option referenced here requires quite a bit of community support because it is technically a land use policy change that is seen as benefitting the property owner in exchange for preserving an historically significant structure. 

As it stands now, Belmont Blvd has some parts that are zoned Neighborhood Center (near Portland Ave), some that are zoned Commercial Limited (going around the corner near Bernard), then a whole bunch that is residential-only RM20 (Bernard to Linden), then Commercial starts up again from Clayton to Gale.  The Belmont/Dallas area where we are talking about is zoned residential-only R8, which allows single- or two-family homes on lots 8,000 SF or larger.  Even the Green Hills-Midtown Community Plan document shows this area as residential only, so commercial uses would require a Community Plan amendment and Land Use Policy change, thereby triggering a community meeting.  Apparently, the commercial building at the SEC of Belmont/Dallas is grandfathered in as a commercial use despite its residential-only R8 zoning.

It sounds like this property owner will have some work to do in convincing the neighbors to allow this change.  But that is certainly possible.  CM Burkley Allen is great at working with her community to seek compromises that make sense.

As for the idea of converting the home into apartments, even converting the home into apartments would change it to commercial use.  That wasn't the case before - which is why so many older homes were carved up into multiple apartments  back in the mid-century - but the R8- zoning allows up to two residential units ONLY.  So no more than 2 apartments per parcel, although the property in question technically stands on two parcels, so I guess you could get 4 apartments in there.  But if the property owner wanted to have 4 apartments in one structure he would have to pay commercial property tax rates, which are quite a bit higher than residential tax rates. 

Now it is the case that he could cut the house into up to two apartments and those tenants could have a ton of roommates, but that's where it would end. 

I'm also not going to touch the AirB&B issue.  I will leave that to Producer2 :)

Edited by bwithers1

I can't remember if this has been reported. It sounds familiar, but so much is happening, it all comes together as a blur.

Distillery for Wedgewood Houston.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/04/new-distillery-coming-to-wedgewood-houston.html

That Hagan street address sounds familiar.  This kind of austere modern design is in keeping with the Zeitlin building.  I'm not a fan of that look myself.  But then that street doesn't have any one particular character to try to maintain anyway.  The Wedgewood-Houston area is quite "eclectic" to say the least. 

On the opposite end of the neighbothood, that new sliver residential project on 4th Ave S will apparently replace that business that supplies salvage wood for floorboards, et al, and hand-made bricks.  The name of that business escapes me even though I am stuck there at least once a week on my morning commutes waiting for the train to pass.

The Planning Commission Staff Reports have a lot of information about a giant, multi-building, mixed-used development proposed for Wedgewood Houston along Martin Street and Merritt Ave.  The addresses are 610 Meritt Ave and1234-38 Martin St.  Hawkins Partners is the applicant.  The 7.3-acre site will include 517,500 SF of floor space distributed amongst nine buildings, which includes two existing buildings.  Uses include residential, flex xpace, restaurant, retail and mobile vending.  Buildings are shown with shallow setbacks and range in height from one- to six-story buildings.  To my surpise, part of the parking arrangement will be structured parking!   

Here is the link to the staff reports document http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Planning/docs/MPCMeetings/2014/050814.pdf  Discussion of this item begins on Page 48.  The site plan is on Page 50.

I have a hard time with how they determine the numbers of students a development will have. For instance the project in the Wedgewood Houston with up to 475 units only generates 6 students. A 28 unit project off of Briley generates almost 20. What gives???

Might have to do with who lives there.

Survey markings are up around the Colonial Bakery site on 8th. Interesting that Evergreen recently bought and converted the adjacent apartments and just built their new headquarters a few blocks away...

No inside knowledge here...I just find it interesting.

There was a 10 unit in E Nashville that generated more than the one in Wedgewood. I think the heads that are in charge may have their heads where they don't belong.

Sounds like a good possible "Expose" by someone like WW or Getahn. 

But both schools are growing, which is part of the "it city" dynamic that doesn't make many headlines. Lipscomb has expanded, too, with millions spent on land acquisition, new academic buildings, School of Pharmacy and residential buildings in the last 5-10 years. Since Belmont's break with the Baptists and attainment of university status, they have exploded with an expansion of academic offerings (music business, new law school) and campus amenities. But the architecture on the two campuses is night and day. Lipscomb has gone with a conservative functional scheme. Belmont has embraced the early 20th century grand academic design and has pulled off some stunning buildings. When parents bring their kids to tour, Belmont is hoping to blow them away. Doing a good job.

Edited by CenterHill

I have a hard time with how they determine the numbers of students a development will have. For instance the project in the Wedgewood Houston with up to 475 units only generates 6 students. A 28 unit project off of Briley generates almost 20. What gives???

Be sure to read the Planning Staff Reports carefully.  The Staff Analysis notes reference an Urban Infill Factor which uses assumptions that urban-type developments do not typically attract (or retain) families with school-aged children.  They primarily attract singles or couples with no children.  There are exceptions (shout out to nashville_bound).  But 100 units in an urban development such as this one will likely have at most a handfull of school-aged children, whereas 100 units in a more single-family-home development, particularly in a suburban area with good schools, will almost all have children. 

I also suspect that the number of bedrooms in the units may be a factor in the Planning staff analysis.  Families with children are going to want the usual 3-bedroom/2-bath units.  Singles/childless couples are primarily going to want one- or at most two-bedroom units.  And then they will use the second bedroom as a home office.

Interesting for sure. At some point these folks may have kids and still want to live in the core,but I guess that is another debate down the road. I was always wondering how the heck they figured how they determine this.

A lot of families with children still want single-family homes/yards, whereas singles and retirees are more likely to want the condo/apartment/mixed-use buildings with little/no maintenance.

The good news is that there is a ton of single-family homes in the inner urban core neighborhoods.  The bad news is that the zoned schools are improving but have a really, really long way to go.  Not all kids are going to get into Meigs/Hume Fogg, et al.

Overall, this is a net positive because Nashville's inner core is so dominated by single-family homes that a lot of people who have no interest in owning/renting a single-family home end up there because there is no other product available in the urban core neighborhoods.  So projects such as this one that provide a truly different housing choice are a welcome addition to accomodate the singles/childless couples.  There is room for both in the inner core.  And if anything we are overbuilt on single-family homes (per Nashville Next) and need to build up the inventory of multifamily and mixed-use developments.