Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

^Wow...now those look pretty nice.  I was worried about this proposal and how it might look, and I am a bit sad to see those oldish homes go, but I have to say that I think this qualifies as a net win for the city.  That is a very handsome project, in my opinion. 

Hey_Hey got a shout out from CM Erica Gilmore last night when the Music Square Flats rezoning passed.   There were two ladies from the neighborhood association who spoke in favor.  No one spoke against. CM Gilmore thanked about five people for their work on this proposal, including Marshall.  Congrats!

Now, I'm not happy about the demolition of a brick Queen Anne house on this site, but will somebody please at least bring in some architectural salvage folks?  Please?

• Like 2

At last night's Council meeting, CM Erica Gilmore requested a suspension of the Council rules to advertise a Music Row and another Music something (Printer's Alley area) Overlay for first reading at the May 20th Council meeting and a public hearing at the June 3rd Council meeting.  Does anyone from District 19 know more about these? 

There is already a South Music Row Conservation Zoning Overlay, and the 2nd Ave and Lower Broadway areas are in in the even more restrictive Historic Preservation District category.  If these "Music" Overlays are for historic preservation purposes, I'm not clear on why a new Overlay would be needed.  Why not just expand the existing Overlays?  If the areas to be protected are not contiguous to the existing Overlays, creating a new Overlay would make sense. 

Are these Overlays going to be Historic Overlays or Urban Design Overlays?  Any info would be appreciated. 

Hey_Hey got a shout out from CM Erica Gilmore last night when the Music Square Flats rezoning passed.   There were two ladies from the neighborhood association who spoke in favor.  No one spoke against. CM Gilmore thanked about five people for their work on this proposal, including Marshall.  Congrats!

Now, I'm not happy about the demolition of a brick Queen Anne house on this site, but will somebody please at least bring in some architectural salvage folks?  Please?

I think you watch Metro Council and the Planning Commission like most people watch the Titans and Preds. Instead of Monday morning quarterback you are the Wednesday morning Councilman. :-)

Unfortunately I had to work last night and couldn't make it, but we had a good showing of support. I thought there was going to be a large contingent of anti-retail people there, but there weren't. I haven't heard anything about an expansion or addition of an overlay. We really need one there because we're otherwise going to continue losing historic recording studios. It is crazy to me that RCA Studio B really has no protections at this point. These are places that people will visit a century or two from now if they are still standing, and the fact that someone could bulldoze those with only a permit is a shame.

There are plenty of noncontributing buildings along the Row that could be targeted for redevelopment, and I would be in complete favor of redeveloping those to add office or retail or residential (hopefully all three).

• Like 1

I think you watch Metro Council and the Planning Commission like most people watch the Titans and Preds. Instead of Monday morning quarterback you are the Wednesday morning Councilman. :-)

As you have experienced, there is a ton of work that take place prior to the Commission and Council hearings.  Neighbors who want to shape the city need to participate in those neighborhood association meetings and behind-the-scenes conversations to get supporters out to hearings to oppose what we don't want and to support what we do want. 

Nashvillians are bad about just complaining but not bothering to come to a meeting or even write an e-mail.  But in my experience, Nashville has one of the most accessible governments of anywhere that I have lived in my adult life.  That's one of the things that I love about Nashville.  You will win some and lose some, but regular citizens can make a difference in this city if they are persuasive with their neighbors and work respectfully with elected and appointed officials and even the development community.

At Tuesday's Council public hearing, the president of the Edgehill neighborhood association mentioned that there are some other projects coming down the pike in your area.  We will all be interested in seeing how your group is able to work to shape the future of that section of town.

• Like 1

At Tuesday's Council public hearing, the president of the Edgehill neighborhood association mentioned that there are some other projects coming down the pike in your area.  We will all be interested in seeing how your group is able to work to shape the future of that section of town.

Indeed, there are. In fact, we just heard about something else brewing.

I agree with you about Nashville being very accessible. A big part of that is having so many council districts, which is something I am now a big supporter of. The council people are very responsive for those that show interest and concern and aren't simply NIMBYs.

I really appreciate all the work you've put in. In fact, if it weren't for your posts on here about the overlays and planning commission updates a lot of the stuff that our NA is now involved in would have been missed. I'm now a regular visitor to the planning commission website and he Metro government Youtube channel. You're affecting neighborhoods all over!

• Like 1

It was great seeing UP attendee Eric at yesterday's Planning Commission hearing.  I'm sure that Eric was there regarding the Wedgewood Houston project and Woodstock, which is actually in Chestnut Hill, not Wedgewood-Houston (the railroad tracks are the divider).  Both of those items passed on consent.

SIDEBAR ALERT:  I had to deal with about half a dozen items in three E Nash council districts, so I had to stay until the end, support some people and upset others, and even ignite a debate among the Commissioners that induced the chair to require a show of hands for a split Commission vote.  I lost that vote 5-3, but I carried the message to CM Westerholm that he wrote a letter in support of an SP that all of the neighbors came out to oppose.  The Commissioners may have voted in his favor out of councilmanic courtesy, but he will have to deal with his constituents in a community meeting before bringing this particular item up to the Council vote.  I may have lost that battle, but I may still win the war against tall/skinny duplexes :)

All in all, it was a productive hearing. Congratulations to Andrew Beaird of CORE Development and to the Wedgewood-Houston neighborhood. 

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

NBJ reports that Corsair is expanding to Wedgewood Houston on Merritt Street  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/05/corsair-distillery-expanding-to-wedgewood-houston.html They are purchasing 601 Merritt Ave (10,800SF) and another property "down the street" that totals 20,000 SF for just over 30,000 SF.  

Here is the GoogleMaps pic of 601 Merritt Ave  https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&layer=c&z=17&iwloc=A&sll=36.139504,-86.769879&cbp=13,179.1,0,0,0&cbll=36.139827,-86.769885&q=601+Merritt+Ave,+Nashville,+TN&ei=eG97U5L-GMqHqgbJ9YLYDA&ved=0CCcQxB0wAA.

The Marathon Village location will remain and will focus on brewing beer.  The Wedgewood-Houston location will be for distillation and barrelling.  No word on whether the Wedgewood-Houston location will be manufacturing/distribution only or whether it will have a bar similar to the one at Marathon Village.   

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

NBJ reports that Corsair is expanding to Wedgewood Houston on Merritt Street  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/05/corsair-distillery-expanding-to-wedgewood-houston.html They are purchasing 601 Merritt Ave (10,800SF) and another property "down the street" that totals 20,000 SF for just over 30,000 SF.  

Here is the GoogleMaps pic of 601 Merritt Ave  https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&layer=c&z=17&iwloc=A&sll=36.139504,-86.769879&cbp=13,179.1,0,0,0&cbll=36.139827,-86.769885&q=601+Merritt+Ave,+Nashville,+TN&ei=eG97U5L-GMqHqgbJ9YLYDA&ved=0CCcQxB0wAA.

The Marathon Village location will remain and will focus on brewing beer.  The Wedgewood-Houston location will be for distillation and barrelling.  No word on whether the Wedgewood-Houston location will be manufacturing/distribution only or whether it will have a bar similar to the one at Marathon Village.   

How in the heck did I miss this. Thanks for finding and posting Brett. So much happening, it's easy to miss something? I am glad we have a great group of highly dedicated and passionate posters here. My job is a lot easier than it use to be when I had to post almost everything.

You are all on top of it.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The Wedgewood-Houston SP (Merritt Ave/Martin St) passed 2nd Council public hearing last night.  It was great seeing UP attendee Eric there to support it.  No one raised their hands to oppose.  Congrats to all!

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 2

The concept sounds crazy (and maybe it is), but I saw an early version of the menu a few months back and it actually looks really good. I'd describe what I saw as upscale comfort food. Also, last I heard, he is planning on turning the house behind that place into Mafiaoza's To Go.

Not sure which thread is right for this one.  It's in Edgehill, but not the Music Row Side.  The proposal for a two-building, 45-unit project at 1212 Hawkins Street (really along 13th Ave S between Hawkins and Siegler) is up for Planning Commission consideration on Thursday, 06/12.  This is located just off 12th just south of the Gulch.

The staff reports are attached  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Planning/docs/MPCMeetings/2014/061214%20BOB.pdf.  The site plan and renderings are on Page 42.  I like this townhome idea overall.  The idea of the bridge going over the alley between the parcels is really, um, interesting.  I wonder if that will be some sort of common space or something.  Definitely interesting. 

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1