Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.

smeagolsfree

20 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Hmm the info I see doesn’t say how much parking. Is it egregious or something?

Parking on the project is 108 spots (3 are zip car spaces) for 129 homes. There were originally more homes and they didn't reduce the parking all that much when they took away the extra two floors of height. When we had a community meeting on it we also got them to use some of the first floor parking area for flex space and retail which felt like a win. 

Here is Colby's letter to Planning Commission on that project - 

"Planning Commissioners,

Thank you for your service. I ask that you disapprove 2021SP-097-001, as its use and location do not justify additional height under the Wedgewood-Houston/Chestnut Hill Study Plan. Further, it is absurdly overparked for a parcel that qualifies for no parking minimums.

I am strongly opposed to this application and have told the applicant this for the better part of two years, and yet they have made no significant modifications. I will be out of town for this hearing next week, so I will not be able to attend, but please use this email as my position.

Thanks,

Colby"
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 9/8/2022 at 7:00 AM, markhollin said:

Vanderbilt Univ. Owen Graduate School of Management expansion (5 stories, 48,000 sq. ft., internal garage) update.

Looking SW from intersection of 21st Ave. South and Grand Ave:

Vandy Owen Grad School, Sept 4, 2022, 1.jpeg

On October 7-8, I'll get a tour of this building while at the Owen reunion.  I'll take some pics.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Why in the world you not do less parking if you removed two floors (which in itself is ridiculous)!?

Told you! I think you folks need to start maybe calling him out as you folks need more parking and not less especially now as Colby wants the AJ Cap project with not enough parking for the type of project it is. Seems to me something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Some developers he gets along really well with and others not.....I wonder why thit is?????

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Told you! I think you folks need to start maybe calling him out as you folks need more parking and not less especially now as Colby wants the AJ Cap project with not enough parking for the type of project it is. Seems to me something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Some developers he gets along really well with and others not.....I wonder why thit is?????

I don’t want more parking at all. I’d prefer less for every project. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/7/2022 at 5:40 PM, PaulChinetti said:

Got this in the mail today. Trying to “sneak” a music venue in. Then the back has a Nashville post article on it, that’s live on the internet. Not very sneaky…

“LiveNation is trying to sneak a new 4500-seat music arena
in Wedgwood-Houston. Our community cannot support the
noise, traffic and sheer volume of people. Attend the hearing
or send email to planning.commissioners @nashville.gov”

33076125-1DF1-4E34-A327-DB0282C9D534.jpeg

8B68EB71-55FD-4C7F-93B3-9718636963D3.jpeg

@PaulChinettithanks for your email to planning. 

who is sending out flyers trying to cancel this??

• Like 1

My take is that Geodis creates maybe 40+/- bad traffic/parking days per year in W-H. The speedway may create its own 20 days. Then you start allowing, what could evolve into multiple venues  being built, that create their own 20-30 parking challenging days a year. Eventually W-H has maybe only 2 or 3 nights a week when the average (street parking) home owner can park their car with no problems. I think they may be thinking of what precedent this might set for future developers.. 

Edited by Nash_12South

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Wow!! I guess that's the mark of a big city.... now there's projects on streets I've never even heard of.  I like that name... Herman Street.  I want to retire on Herman Street.  Why don't people name their children Herman anymore?

Did people ever name their children Herman aside from The Munsters?  :D

• Haha 2

• markhollin changed the title to Inside 440 - Berry Hill, Midtown, Vanderbilt, 12S, WeHo, Fairgrounds, etc.
8 minutes ago, Nashvillain said:

Your example of Germantown is revealing because every new project there has parking, and yet the streets, sidewalks, bike lanes, greenways, and every available nook and cranny is jammed with parked cars during peak hours. This should tell us something (a couple things it tells us is that people don't like parking in garages. Don't like walking more than a block to their destination. There's a glut of underutilized garage parking. Traffic in urban neighborhoods is people driving around looking for a space close to their destination).

There needs to be a shift in how we build our cities to shift people into alternative modes of getting around. Doing the same thing we've been doing for the past 70 years will result in the same outcome. Mass transit won't be viable if there's no reason to take it because your car is parked in the garage attached to your building (or the garage attached to your house in the burbs) and your destination has easy parking in the lot or garage attached to it. 

Furthermore, it's hard to get the densities where mass transit becomes truly viable and sustaining when so much land use is given over to car storage. Show me an example of effective mass transit in an American city where parking is abundant. 

And no offense to you Smeagolsfree, but your decision not to drive into town to catch a show at the venue without parking is exactly the kind of change in decision making and behavior that minimum or maximum parking policies are meant to induce. 

• Like 3