CU-ICAR/Millennium Campus

JCT

I assume the church wants I-85 visibility. Apparently their main goal is to have 100,000 members pumping money into the shallow "gospel according to Perry Noble" machine.

I assume the church wants I-85 visibility. Apparently their main goal is to have 100,000 members pumping money into the shallow "gospel according to Perry Noble" machine.

Have you ever been to this church? There is nothing shallow about his preaching or the church. Why do they want to be at this location? Oh, that's the word, location. It's perfect. The roads are not busy on Saturday evenings and Sundays, allowing the folks an easy drive in and out. 

Yes, "shallow" is an accurately descriptive word, and nothing is gained by relocating from Pleasantburg to Millennium — except interstate highway visibility, which could potentially lead to more members ($$$).

They don't need visibility. That is not why they are building a new campus at that location. God is leading hundreds of folks to this church, not because of its locations or buildings. God is allowing this church to grow because His Word is being proclaimed and thousands are accepting Jesus as their personal Savior. It is that simple. If God doesn't want this location for His church, it will not happen. We can voice our opinions, but the only one that counts is Him.

Are the small churches not allowed to grow because "His Word [isn't] being proclaimed" there? Should they invest in the latest technical equipment (lights, cameras, sound systems, etc.) so they can put on a big show to entertain the masses and add thousands of new members? Should they set a goal to have 100,000 members? If they follow the exact formula NewSpring uses, will God allow them to "grow" as well?

Are the small churches not allowed to grow because "His Word [isn't] being proclaimed" there? Should they invest in the latest technical equipment (lights, cameras, sound systems, etc.) so they can put on a big show to entertain the masses and add thousands of new members? Should they set a goal to have 100,000 members? If they follow the exact formula NewSpring uses, will God allow them to "grow" as well?

You have to remember that New Spring started in a small room on the Anderson U. campus. It was a small church at one time. I have to admit that I was one of those thought their services were nothing but entertainment halls until I visited the church and talked to it's members. Those folks want to worship a real Jesus, and they are doing so. Are they perfect? No, as I am not and no one else is. They don't have the sad issues that so many of today's churches have in which they worry too much about dress, the style of music and keeping the old traditions. Lest we forget that Jesus was an agent of change and contemporary in His time? In fact, he was hung on the cross for being"radical". You asked if small churches allowed to grow without proclaiming His Word. I honestly doubt that. As a matter of fact, there were once large churches that quit proclaiming the Word of God and are now struggling to stay open. Also, you have to remember that there were large churches in the New Testament,so large churches are nothing new. And, remember that the ultimate largest church is in heaven, which is non-denominational, thank God! Sadly, the old small traditional churches are literally dyeing away. The only fully traditional church in this area that is growing is Rock Springs in Easley. Having served on a Pastor's Search Committee a few years ago and having visited many churches from Texas to Florida, I think it is safe to say Rock Springs is a unique church in America. God is using a full traditional service church called Rock Springs and a full modern service church like New Spring to His glory. Those churches are within 15 minutes of each other and growing by the dozens every single week. It is amazing and wonderful to see how God is working in the Upstate. By the way, every single church should have as its goal to reach every person in the world to proclaim the good news of Christ. That is what the Bible instructs us to do. If that means 100 members or 100,000 members in each church, as long as the Word is taught, God is thrilled. Getting back to whether New Spring should be allowed to build a campus at CU-ICAR, I hope the powers to be consider this as a legal issue only. If so, there will be a New Spring campus there soon, and I trust God will use it to His glory, not to the glory of mankind. Sorry for the rambling. I am now signing off on this topic (to the delight of many!). I pray the only winner in this discussion is God Himself. He will prevail, with or without this New Spring CU-ICAR campus.

Edited by gman
  • Like 1

So, I take it that they have outgrown the entire TD Convention Center?

Volunteers arrive each morning at 3:00 to get the facility ready for church services and stay until late Sunday afternoon to take everything down. Common sense says that has to get old. Now, I am signing off!

Edited by gman

NewSpring utilizes a man-made formula that obviously attracts the mainstream "Christian" population in South Carolina. Most of the people were lured away from equally hollow Baptist churches with inferior amenities (entertainment and building plans). The fact that so many are attracted to the latest trend in American "Christianity" is sad, but not the slightest bit unexpected. From a secular perspective, Greenville can only hope they will construct buildings that could be converted into other attractive uses after this trend dies.

Edited by Skyliner

NewSpring utilizes a man-made formula that obviously attracts the mainstream "Christian" population in South Carolina. Most of the people were lured away from equally hollow Baptist churches with inferior amenities (entertainment and building plans). The fact that so many are attracted to the latest trend in American "Christianity" is sad, but not the slightest bit unexpected. From a secular perspective, Greenville can only hope they will construct buildings that could be converted into other attractive uses after this trend dies.

I am offended by your comments.

I don't find it productive to use this forum to debate the theology of NewSpring Church.  It runs the risk of offending people, and accomplishes nothing.  The discussion will ideally center on whether the Millennium Campus is a desirable location for a church.  From an economic development perspective, I feel that it is definitely not.  I would say that even if NewSpring were my own church.

• Like 2

I don't find it productive to use this forum to debate the theology of NewSpring Church.  It runs the risk of offending people, and accomplishes nothing.  The discussion will ideally center on whether the Millennium Campus is a desirable location for a church.  From an economic development perspective, I feel that it is definitely not.  I would say that even if NewSpring were my own church.

Well said.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We need more apartments because we don't have enough proposed or getting built currently: 

C. Z 20-2013.  Application of Woodfield Acquisitions, LLC (Bon Secours St. Francis Health, Owner) for a Land Development Permit (Multifamily Residential) pursuant to Section 19-2.3.13, Land Development, of the Greenville City Code for a portion of property located at Laurens Rd and Innovation Dr, zoned 'S-1', Service, District, and consisting of approximately 17.44 acres of land proposed to be developed with 330 multifamily dwelling units (TMS # M010030100902). 

We need more apartments because we don't have enough proposed or getting built currently: 

C. Z 20-2013.  Application of Woodfield Acquisitions, LLC (Bon Secours St. Francis Health, Owner) for a Land Development Permit (Multifamily Residential) pursuant to Section 19-2.3.13, Land Development, of the Greenville City Code for a portion of property located at Laurens Rd and Innovation Dr, zoned 'S-1', Service, District, and consisting of approximately 17.44 acres of land proposed to be developed with 330 multifamily dwelling units (TMS # M010030100902). 

Here is the pdf file for this: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2013/NOVEMBER/PlanningCommission/11-14-2013/FDP-13-243-LaurensandInnovationDrive.pdf Overall I like it. The complex will NOT be gated also.