Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

Nothing says suburbanization like a new car dealership. Reporting in today's RBS that Ohio-based Great Lakes Auto Group is planning a "from-scratch" Honda Dealership just across the county line in Goochland from the new Gateway Square mixed-use development (on the Henrico side of the line). The new dealership to be called Goochland Honda would rise across West Broad Street from Page Automotive's Audi Richmond dealership. This would be Great Lakes' first dealership in Virginia. The measure is slated to go before the county planning commission and board of supervisors after the planning commission deadlocked 2-2 on a vote in September with one member absent.

No doubt, Goochland is poised to be the next hot, high-growth country in the fast-growing metro RVA region, particularly since Hanover now is in six-figures with a population in the neighborhood of 114,000 residents and counting.

From today's Richmond BisSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/10/03/new-30m-honda-dealership-planned-in-goochland-along-broad-street-road/

Goochland-Honda-townhouse-view-700x409.png

Screenshot (3233).png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Nothing says suburbanization like a new car dealership. Reporting in today's RBS that Ohio-based Great Lakes Auto Group is planning a "from-scratch" Honda Dealership just across the county line in Goochland from the new Gateway Square mixed-use development (on the Henrico side of the line). The new dealership to be called Goochland Honda would rise across West Broad Street from Page Automotive's Audi Richmond dealership. This would be Great Lakes' first dealership in Virginia. The measure is slated to go before the county planning commission and board of supervisors after the planning commission deadlocked 2-2 on a vote in September with one member absent.

No doubt, Goochland is poised to be the next hot, high-growth country in the fast-growing metro RVA region, particularly since Hanover now is in six-figures with a population in the neighborhood of 114,000 residents and counting.

From today's Richmond BisSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/10/03/new-30m-honda-dealership-planned-in-goochland-along-broad-street-road/

Goochland-Honda-townhouse-view-700x409.png

Screenshot (3233).png

Is that a multi-level parking deck serving as the dealership “parking lot?”  If so, that’s a new configuration I don’t think Richmond has seen before.  It’s a great sign of density in that area. Better than the huge parking lots dealerships typically build. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Is that a multi-level parking deck serving as the dealership “parking lot?”  If so, that’s a new configuration I don’t think Richmond has seen before.  It’s a great sign of density in that area. Better than the huge parking lots dealerships typically build. 

Yep - that's what I think it is. It's common here in Chicago - in fact, a new Toyota dealership went up about six or seven years ago a few blocks from where I lived - and it's on about a half a block and everything is contained within the building - there is no surface lot for any of the cars. All the new vehicles are in a big parking deck at the rear of the dealership with the showroom facing the two main avenues at the corner.

It's a sign of the times for RVA - and a good one at that. Glad to see RVA shifting into this kind of paradigm. Interesting that it's all the way out in Goochland and not in the city that we're seeing this shift.

• Like 2

The state health department has kiboshed HCA's plan to construct a $233 million, 60-bed acute-care hospital on Sliding Hill road Hanover. According to Jack Jacobs' reporting in today's RBS, the state health commissioner Karen Shelton rejected the application, calling the facility unnecessary, too expensive and could potentially have a negative impact on other area providers. HCA is mulling next steps, which could include appealing the decision in court. The county  supported HCA's proposal but indicated it also accepts the state's decision.

We'll see if there's an Act II to this saga.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/10/04/hcas-bid-to-build-new-hanover-hospital-rejected-by-the-state/

hca-hanover-hospital-rendering1.png

Screenshot (3239).png

• Sad 2

On 6/8/2023 at 9:45 AM, I miss RVA said:

A 288-unit condo complex is on the way for the Pemberton-Mayland intersection in Henrico. Planned are 12 four-story buildings on the 10-acre parcel. Roughly 4/5 of the units would be age restricted (55-plus) with the remaining fifth of units open to people of all ages.

Nice injection of density - AND - home ownership in that part of the county.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/06/08/288-condos-planned-at-pemberton-mayland-crossroads-in-henrico/

FlatsAtMayland2.jpg

FlatsAtMayland1.jpg

Screenshot (264).png

UPDATE:

All systems are "GO" for this 264-unit condo project at Mayland and Pemberton in the suburban West End. Construction could start by mid-summer 2024 with units ready for sale by mid-2025.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/10/05/2m-land-deal-clears-way-for-17m-condo-project-in-western-henrico/

• Like 4

On 10/3/2023 at 1:19 PM, eandslee said:

It looks like it still has a decent size front lot for display.  Rick Hendrick down the street appears to have a similar setup with a significant garage in back.

image.thumb.png.2a67dfa18d4259c7e8a4f91048b6ead7.png

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

It looks like it still has a decent size front lot for display.  Rick Hendrick down the street appears to have a similar setup with a significant garage in back.

image.thumb.png.2a67dfa18d4259c7e8a4f91048b6ead7.png

Oh wow!  Never noticed that!  So, maybe this will be the second one of its kind in the Richmond area.  Ha!  Interesting. 

20 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Oh wow!  Never noticed that!  So, maybe this will be the second one of its kind in the Richmond area.  Ha!  Interesting. 

I believe they built the garage when they downsized their property for the surrounding development.  It certainly caught my eye back then.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

I was able to snap an aerial photo of the new Wegmans distribution center in Hanover while my flight was on approach to RIC today.

260415F6-8546-43C0-8CDA-B64535346BDD.thumb.jpeg.f3ec1166be836334b68a687b121b56dd.jpeg

The facility looks to be in operation which is a great sign and the buffering seems pretty good, which makes the NIMBYS complaining about it that much more annoying!

Awesome photo!  Looks nice from above and I’d have to agree, plenty of buffer space!

43 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

I was able to snap an aerial photo of the new Wegmans distribution center in Hanover while my flight was on approach to RIC today.

260415F6-8546-43C0-8CDA-B64535346BDD.thumb.jpeg.f3ec1166be836334b68a687b121b56dd.jpeg

The facility looks to be in operation which is a great sign and the buffering seems pretty good, which makes the NIMBYS complaining about it that much more annoying!

Yeah - seeing all the amount of land buffering this facility makes the NIMBY kvetching all the more ridiculous. Who in our RVA/UP community came up with BANANA - "Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything" (I might have misquoted it but I think that's right). That's what I get from the NIMBYism regarding this facility upon seeing a picture from the air. Wow...

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

20-30 years?!?!  Are they living in the same Richmond we see growing at an accelerated rate?

https://www.henricocitizen.com/articles/henrico-planners-now-recommending-approval-of-willow-lawn-redevelopment-plans/

Man... 20 to 30 years? These people are gonna force me to live to be 100 in order to see all this.

I'm not loving the scale-back from the original proposal. The original plan called for the signature building rising to 175 feet tall - that's been clipped to 150 feet. The total of residential units originally was slated for 2,200. That's been trimmed to 2,000.

Because OF COURSE it's been scaled back. image.png.c41b3dd668efa899441399ebd7782237.png

• Like 1

I'm not worried about this at all. There's already a sizable building at the corner of Monument Ave & Willow Lawn Dr that's been there for decades now, plus there's plenty of foot traffic, from all walks of life, flowing through the rejuvenated shopping complex itself. I actually think that the county and potential developers can (and will) do even better than even the original proposal there, given that the area has been well developed for, well, decades now. I have a feeling that whatever happens there next will be BIG big.

Whatever the county will approve, I seriously doubt that potential developers will wait 20 years to make a play for that area. If anything, once the county gives the initial go ahead, they will flock in and force the county to approve proposals sooner than later.

Willow Lawn is a successful area, and it's history of transformation proves it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, plain said:

I'm not worried about this at all. There's already a sizable building at the corner of Monument Ave & Willow Lawn Dr that's been there for decades now, plus there's plenty of foot traffic, from all walks of life, flowing through the rejuvenated shopping complex itself. I actually think that the county and potential developers can (and will) do even better than even the original proposal there, given that the area has been well developed for, well, decades now. I have a feeling that whatever happens there next will be BIG big.

Whatever the county will approve, I seriously doubt that potential developers will wait 20 years to make a play for that area. If anything, once the county gives the initial go ahead, they will flock in and force the county to approve proposals sooner than later.

Willow Lawn is a successful area, and it's history of transformation proves it.

The grandmother of one of my best grade-school friends lived in the 5100 Monument building fairly close to the top and her apartment faced east. I forget which floor she was on, but it was high enough that the skyline downtown was clearly visible. Anyway - she allowed each of her grandkids to spend the weekend there every couple of months and to bring a friend - so I ended up spending quite a few weekends with my friend at his grandmother's apartment back in the mid-late '70s. (And is there ANY cooking like grandma's cooking? Yummmm...) Anyway - I have very fond memories of the 5100 Monument building. Her apartment was gorgeous and roomy - I always wanted to have an apartment like that in a highrise.  (Years later, of course, I had a nice, older condo like that in a high rise in Chicago).

Either way - I'm hopeful this project will be truly transformative. We've discussed how this development could create a legitimate "midtown" urban core. Still, I'd be happier if there wasn't so much truncation, though, in truth, 25 feet on the signature building equals, what, two floors maybe? So at 150 feet maybe it's 13 stories and not 15 or 16? Okay... I can deal with that (I guess). At 100 feet - what, we're looking at 8, 9 stories? I don't think the original plan called for the other buildings to be taller than 100 feet. So hopefully there will be LOTS of 100-footers in place.

And as we all know - nothing is EVER etched in stone. Who's to say that as this development progresses down the road there may be demand for bigger/taller - and that the mindset will have shifted by then such that the county would okay a scale-up. Either way, it's something to really look forward to.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I'm not loving the scale-back from the original proposal. The original plan called for the signature building rising to 175 feet tall - that's been clipped to 150 feet. The total of residential units originally was slated for 2,200. That's been trimmed to 2,000.

Sure. But isn't this kind of game theory? Start with something at the top of the range, knowing something at the acceptable point of your range will be seen as reasonable?

We live, well, very near the 5100. Love having that there. Although I'm sure the newer builds won't market as much to the retired population as the 5100, they will also be good additions to the area.

• Like 2