Libbie Mill / Westwood

Spider03

18 minutes ago, blake_p said:

image.thumb.png.52868c2bd1880b56d2a7092192a9f431.png

Sire plan and details about phasing for the Anthem redevelopment in the Henrico Citizen: https://www.henricocitizen.com/articles/henrico-supervisors-approved-large-mixed-use-development-near-willow-lawn/

Wow - Phase 1 consists of constructing an 8-story mixed-use building. NICE!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The Yellow Umbrella specialty grocer is opening a third metro-Richmond location, this time in Libbie Mill, according to reporting by WRIC-TV8. A soft opening is planned for next month at the new location at 5001 Libbie Mill East Boulevard, which joins the flagship store at 5607 Patterson Avenue and an on-the-way restaurant location at the former Blue Bee Cidery in Scott's Addition. The Libbie Mill spot was formerly occupied by The Stables Market.

Good to see Yellow Umbrella expanding - and my guess is that Libbie Mill is a really good location for them, particularly given that the neighborhood continues being developed (not to mention the tremendous boom that is anticipated in the adjacent Willow Lawn and Westwood areas). 

From WRIC-TV8 News:

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/henrico-county/yellow-umbrella-specialty-grocery-store-opening-new-location-in-libbie-mill/

Screenshot (3924).png

Screenshot (3923).png

IMG20240204130854.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

New bike and pedestrian path coming to Libbie between Broad and Bethlehem(ish).

Currently, this stretch (at least northbound Libbie) is a drag racing strip, with the main objective to beat everyone else to the intersection of Libbie and Bethlehem, where it takes forever to make a left turn. The article mentions the county is also planning a roundabout at Libbie/Bethlehem.

I'm not sure I see the point of pouring $4M into the pedestrian/bike project given it's such a short stretch.* I guess it'll be connected to other things in the future; the article seems to suggest this. Presently, the biggest area of need for pedestrian/bike access is Bethlehem. Kids/families walk or ride along the side of the road all the time, and that seems pretty dangerous. But I'm not sure what the county can do about that.

*Conceivably, it could help people access the bus line on Broad....

1 hour ago, Flood Zone said:

New bike and pedestrian path coming to Libbie between Broad and Bethlehem(ish).

Currently, this stretch (at least northbound Libbie) is a drag racing strip, with the main objective to beat everyone else to the intersection of Libbie and Bethlehem, where it takes forever to make a left turn. The article mentions the county is also planning a roundabout at Libbie/Bethlehem.

I'm not sure I see the point of pouring $4M into the pedestrian/bike project given it's such a short stretch.* I guess it'll be connected to other things in the future; the article seems to suggest this. Presently, the biggest area of need for pedestrian/bike access is Bethlehem. Kids/families walk or ride along the side of the road all the time, and that seems pretty dangerous. But I'm not sure what the county can do about that.

*Conceivably, it could help people access the bus line on Broad....

Some of the comments in RBS are on-point - what would make more sense is building this out all the way to Libbie and Grove, although I suppose the county is looking to use this short stretch as sort of the "canary in the coal mine" (so to speak) to assess the viability of such a development. Still - connecting Libbie Mill to Westhampton would make sense.

Good point re: the bus. Obviously, there's the local West Broad Street bus now (that's the #19, right?) between Willow Lawn and Goochland County-- and I wonder if there might be a PULSE station built at Libbie and Broad when the line is extended? Lots of potential.

Anyway - here's where it will go (map courtesy of Richmond BizSense):

libbie-ave-project-map.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4