Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

The Chesterfield County Planning Commission recommended for approval an 85-lot subdivision to fill a 27-acre site near Chippenham Parkway and Iron Bridge Road. Jack Jacobs has reporting in today's RBS that Cross Creek Development Corp. is planning the subdivision of SFHs on one of the largest remaining undeveloped tract in the county's Ridgedale Special Focus Area, in which the county is encouraging new residential, commercial and recreational development. The district is just inside Chesterfield, on the north side of Chippenham Parkway, near the Richmond city limits. The project goes for final approval next week before the county board of supervisors.

Groundbreaking could some as early as spring of 2025 with construction getting underway later in the year or in 2026.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/04/25/85-lot-subdivision-proposed-at-chippenham-and-iron-bridge-in-chesterfield/

benton-woods-concept-plan-2-e1713985539771.png

benton-woods-renderings-1.png

Screenshot (4685).png

• Like 2

Shamin Hotels broke ground today on their latest project which will place two hotels and two new restaurants immediately adjacent to the new Henrico Sports and Events Center on the site of the former Virginia Center Commons in Glen Allen. On tap are a four-story Residence Inn and a five-story Home2 Suites. Both hotels are planned to be opened in 2026. No details about the restaurants have been published yet.

There will likely be further coverage through our usual outlets.

From today's Henrico Citizen:

https://www.henricocitizen.com/articles/hotels-restaurants-coming-to-henrico-sports-and-events-center-site/

Screen-Shot-2024-04-25-at-11.00.59-AM-1024x371.png

• Like 4

17 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Shamin Hotels broke ground today on their latest project which will place two hotels and two new restaurants immediately adjacent to the new Henrico Sports and Events Center on the site of the former Virginia Center Commons in Glen Allen. On tap are a four-story Residence Inn and a five-story Home2 Suites. Both hotels are planned to be opened in 2026. No details about the restaurants have been published yet.

There will likely be further coverage through our usual outlets.

From today's Henrico Citizen:

https://www.henricocitizen.com/articles/hotels-restaurants-coming-to-henrico-sports-and-events-center-site/

Screen-Shot-2024-04-25-at-11.00.59-AM-1024x371.png

ADDITIONAL REPORTING:

Here's RBS's reporting (and some new renderings) on Shamin's double-hotel groundbreaking and their outstanding project connected to the Henrico Sports and Events Center.

Jonathan Spiers brings some additional nuggets regarding the overall development underway on the former site of Virginia Center Commons. Construction continues on the initial phase of 275 apartments. A second phase of 115 apartments will break ground in June 2026. The overall redevelopment will include a total of 500 apartments, 325 two-over-two condos, income-based housing, retail and commercial space. Additionally, some 75 townhomes are under construction on the site closer to Brook Road.

In short, this project is REALLY popping, as is this part of the northern suburbs, where other large-scale residential developments are planned within a stone's throw of the VCC site. Amazing to see all of this coming to pass.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/04/26/shamin-breaks-ground-on-pairs-of-hotels-restaurants-beside-events-center-at-vcc/

ShaminVCC3.jpg

ShaminVCC-Home2Suites.jpg

ShaminVCC-ResidenceInn.jpg

ShaminVCC5.jpg

ShaminVCC6.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

I snagged this photo from today's RBS' snapshot of the new, huge Ainsworth development on the site of the old Laurel Park Shopping Center and Woodman and Hungary Roads. All I can say is - WOW. It is a complete and amazing transformation and it's bringing some significant density to one of metro Richmond's old, legacy "bedroom" suburbs in Henrico, populated by lots of small, mid-century SFHs. Remembering the ghost town that the Laurel Park Shopping Center was (I lived about 2/3 of a mile east just off Hungary Road in the late '90s) I'm honestly blown away. It's night-and-day different - and really, all I can say is - amazing.

Photo courtesy of Richmond BizSense:

1-web-or-mls-001-960x600.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

On a happy note, once the proposed hotel tower by Short Pump Towne Center is finished it reach 9 - 10 stories, and it will officially be known as the first "high-rise" in the Short Pump area. It will stick out too, as the mall sits on a tall hill.  

4.30R-Short-Pump-Hotel-1.jpeg

Sweet! I don't recall seeing anything about this. Do we have more information about it? Have developers broken ground for it yet?

7 hours ago, Child2021 said:

On a happy note, once the proposed hotel tower by Short Pump Towne Center is finished it reach 9 - 10 stories, and it will officially be known as the first "high-rise" in the Short Pump area. It will stick out too, as the mall sits on a tall hill.  

4.30R-Short-Pump-Hotel-1.jpeg

Yeah…whereabouts on the Short Pump Town Center premises is this on being built again?  If it abuts up to the interstate, that would be cool as you’ll see it as you are driving in on I-64, giving some of the first sign, driving eastbound, that you just entered Richmond’s urban landscape!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

The site is in the process of being cleared, and its on the mall ring road across the homes hotel.

So somewhere in the highlighted area below?  Here’s the RBS story in it, but I don’t have access to it anymore.  I’m sure it shows where this will sit (https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/04/30/9-story-130-room-hotel-planned-next-to-short-pump-town-center/ ).  I was just taking a guess in the map below:

IMG_7310.jpeg

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

Jonathan Spiers has reporting in Tuesday's RBS that HHHunt Homes is planning to build 57 for-sale townhomes as part of their ever-growing River Mill development on Woodman Road, northeast of I-295. HHHunt has filed for rezoning, and the Henrico Planning Commission will consider the request at their May 9th meeting. The site - which is just over a mile west of the huge redevelopment in the site of the former Virginia Center Commons - sits adjacent to the Fall Line Trail - and a sidewalk is planned to connected to the pedestrian/bike path.

From Tuesday's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/04/30/hhhunt-looks-to-add-57-townhomes-beside-river-mill-development/

RiverMillTHs3.jpg

RiverMillTHs2-Cropped.jpg

RiverMillTHs1.jpg

Screenshot (4718).png

Screenshot (4719).png

• Like 3