Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

The developers who have been transforming the former Regency Square into a mixed-use development are looking to expand to include a small parcel that includes what was the Eastridge Road underpass entrance to the mall from Parham Road. According to Jonathan Spiers' reporting in today's RBS, the developers' application for rezoning indicated that any future development of the parcel would be limited to office or commercial uses and would not include residential units. From Jonathan's reporting:

Potential uses mentioned in the application include an office building, medical offices or labs, indoor recreational or entertainment facilities, grocery or convenience food stores, retail and restaurants with drive-thru windows, and gas and auto service stations. Buildings would be restricted to 60 feet in height.

This is certainly interesting - and pretty cool to see.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/12/04/regency-redevelopment-could-extend-across-parham-with-plan-for-former-underpass-site/

RegencyAdd1.jpg

RegencyTriangle3.jpg

Screenshot (3484).png

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

The underpass was cool, and I hate that they closed it.

Same. Loved it. Would go there as kids just to "be cool" since we were bored and Regency was a ghost town.

Sad to see the underpass get filled because it would have been a great connection for an only-pedestrian walk way to the mall. Whatever they build here will want to have direct walking access (one would hope?) to new regency....

• Like 2

Western Chesterfield all around Moseley and Magnolia Green appears to reallllllllllllly be on fire from a development standpoint. A new proposal for a 356-SFH subdivision on Genito Road to be called Dogwood Creek has been filed with the county board of supervisors. What's interesting is that it's in what right now is kinda the "middle of nowhere" - but it's looking more and more like this is going to be a real hotspot for more residential (and other) development. It's more-or-less along/near the corridor of the proposed Powhite Parkway extension north of the Upper Magnolia Green area. If nothing is screaming how much this extension needs to get built, I think the recent spate of new projects all around the Moseley and Magnolia Green areas should be a very loud clarion call to get this highway built.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/12/07/developer-planning-356-homes-off-genito-road-in-moseley-area/

DogwoodCreekSitePlan-Cropped.jpg

DogwoodCreekHomes.jpg

Screenshot (3491).png

Screenshot (3492).png

• Like 1

More development -- and an injection of density -- is planned for the Hull Street Road corridor. I meant to post this yesterday and got really busy.

Village of Faith Ministries is planning a residential project on the site of the former Genito Cinema 9 complex and the retail strip mall at 11000 Hull Street Road. The development would include 192 apartments in seven three-story buildings closer to Hull Street as well as 40 townhomes toward the rear of the development, nearer the existing residential neighborhoods. The site is behind the Genito Crossing shopping center.

A request to rezone the property from commercial to multi-family residential is under review by the county.

From yesterday's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/12/06/church-planning-redevelopment-of-hull-street-road-site-with-192-apartments-40-townhomes/

VillageOfFaithSitePlan.jpg

VillageOfFaith-LoopNet1.jpg

VillageOfFaithApts.jpg

VillageOfFaithTHs.jpg

Screenshot (3493).png

• Like 1

Well DAMN... :tw_confused:

Looks like the huge (estimated $500 M) "Project Rocky" warehouse/fulfillment center planned for the Rockville area in Goochland County is a no-go. RBS is reporting this morning that California-based developer Panattoni Development Co. has pulled out of the land deal and will not be closing on the property. No end user had ever been revealed for the planned 650K sq ft facility that would have employed roughly 1,000 workers.

The county -- which has zoned the property for industrial development -- is actively working to market the site. Here's hoping they'll quickly land another developer who will build a similarly large facility there. The one "silver lining" to the story is that it appears that the county is all-in on landing a significant development on this site, so hopefully it won't just sit fallow.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/12/12/project-rocky-developer-scraps-planned-fulfillment-center-goochland-county-says/

• Sad 1

If my eyes serve my correctly, I think I saw a a large auger drilling into the ground at the Spring rock green site....in the area where the ice "arena" is supposed to go.  Anyway, this will further spur development in this part of the county: Shamin planning two hotels at Springline redevelopment in Chesterfield - Richmond BizSense

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Child2021 said:

If my eyes serve my correctly, I think I saw a a large auger drilling into the ground at the Spring rock green site....in the area where the ice "arena" is supposed to go.  Anyway, this will further spur development in this part of the county: Shamin planning two hotels at Springline redevelopment in Chesterfield - Richmond BizSense

Update on this story today:  Looks like Chesterfield approved Shamin’s plan to build two hotels at Springline, one of which will be a 12-Story, 260-room hotel with a 20,000 sq ft conference space!  Also, the county appears to be reconsidering placing two ice rinks at Springline for some other type of sports and entertainment venue to be determined.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/12/14/shamin-okd-to-move-hotel-project-to-springline-redevelopment/

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

I'll take your word for it on floor plates or whatnot, but the 5100 Building is 12 floors.

Oh my - I TOTALLY forgot about 5100 - and to think when I was in 8th, 9th and 10th grade, I spent occasional weekends in that building as the guest of my best friend and his grandmother. She would have her grandkids come spend the weekend with her on a rotating basis every few weeks - and her grandkids could bring one guest. I was fortunate enough to be invited numerous times. She was a REALLY good cook, a VERY sweet lady - and her apartment was really cool. I loved going there. My best friend and I always had a ton of fun hanging out there on those weekends.

Yep - good call, @Flood Zone-- 5100 is far-and-away the tallest suburban building right now.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

How many floors is the Hathaway Tower?  That’s got to be at least 12 floors right?   While technically in the city, that location is very suburban.   

This building gets overlooked.  It’s very handsome IMO.  I wish there were a dozen more around town. 

B88A5777-BD52-44D0-B8BF-C92D2AD7B194.jpeg

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

How many floors is the Hathaway Tower?  That’s got to be at least 12 floors right?   While technically in the city, that location is very suburban.   

This building gets overlooked.  It’s very handsome IMO.  I wish there were a dozen more around town. 

B88A5777-BD52-44D0-B8BF-C92D2AD7B194.jpeg

Looks like it's 13 stories. Indeed, a very suburban-like location in Stratford Hills - but, as you said, it's in the city.

PERSONAL FUN FACT: I grew up in Granite - about a mile or so east of Stratford Hills. Our property was slightly elevated and my bedroom was on the southwest corner of the house, which was on the north side of Forest Hill Avenue. In the wintertime - when there was no foliage on the trees, I could see the top of the Hathaway building sticking up on the horizon above the tree line. It was THE COOLEST thing to look out my west-facing bedroom window year after year and see it.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 8:19 AM, Flood Zone said:

Unless I'm forgetting something, this would be the tallest building in Chesterfield, right?

Well, Chesterfield tallest thing is a large (largest in the state) American Flag towering at 212 feet. In Henrico, its the Richmond Raceway grand stands at 185 feet. 

• Like 3

On 12/15/2023 at 11:04 AM, Child2021 said:

image.png.a78e9bec521189641b0926d908572d42.png

Plan for the Hanover county data center park.

viewAttachment.aspx (hanovercounty.gov)

I think the following blurb yesterday from Data Center Dynamic is for the same development by Hourigan:

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/hourigan-files-for-320-acre-data-center-campus-outside-richmond-virginia/ 

A new TownePlace Suites by Marriott is planned for Short Pump. The five-story, 119-room hotel is slated to rise at 4150 Tom Leonard Drive, near the I-64-Broad Street interchange. The property was once envisioned for a Carvana car vending tower. Development plans will be reviewed by the county this month, and construction could begin as soon as next spring or summer.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/12/18/five-story-hotel-to-rise-beside-tom-leonards-store-in-short-pump/

TomLeonardHotel1-700x350.jpg

TomLeonardHotel3-700x350.jpg

TomLeonardHotel2-700x505.jpg

Screenshot (3579).png

• Like 2

The Carvana tower is undoubtedly cooler where it is now.

This looks like Generic Hotel Design 101, but what are you gonna do? Nothing much fun* is ever going to go behind Tom Leonard's anyway. 

*This, like the Drury (which is taller than this will be) will probably look more impressive than it actually is on the approach given that area's relative topography.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

The Carvana tower is undoubtedly cooler where it is now.

This looks like Generic Hotel Design 101, but what are you gonna do? Nothing much fun* is ever going to go behind Tom Leonard's anyway. 

*This, like the Drury (which is taller than this will be) will probably look more impressive than it actually is on the approach given that area's relative topography.

I was hoping the hotel would be taller being that it’s going to be visible from the interstate.  Come on…give us at least 8-10 stories!

• Like 2

The second phase of residential construction in the redevelopment of the former Regency Square is on the way. The Rise II is slated to begin construction next year - with groundbreaking coming possibly as early as March. This second building has been upsized from 230 units to more than 300. However, the upsizing came at the expense of the integrated parking deck - meaning - surface parking will be retained to accommodate residents in this building. Either way, the Regency redev is cranking away. Glad to see it continuing to progress.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/12/19/hundreds-more-apartments-to-break-ground-at-regency-next-year/

regency-apartments-rise-2-1.png

regency-apartments-rise-2.png