Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

The huge mixed-use development, Courthouse Landing, near the intersection of Courthouse and Iron Bridge roads, between the Chesterfield government complex/courthouse and 288 has broken ground and is officially underway. Lots of typical suburban fast-food eateries and retail establishments are already signed on as tenants. The complex will feature 480 residences, 250K sq feet of commercial space, a Virginia Credit Union, a Touchstone Bank, a TownPlace Suites hotel (Marriott) and a 60K sq ft medical facility (and office space) by VCU Health.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/10/19/massive-courthouse-landing-project-breaks-ground-in-chesterfield-with-plenty-of-tenants-locked-in/

courthouse-landing-site-work-2023-2048x1152.jpg

courthouse-landing-plan-2023-2048x1152.jpg

Screenshot (3277).png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

The huge mixed-use development, Courthouse Landing, near the intersection of Courthouse and Iron Bridge roads, between the Chesterfield government complex/courthouse and 288 has broken ground and is officially underway.

This project has achieved the rarest of things, i.e., a consensus among RBS commenters. They all hate it. (FWIW, they have a point.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Flood Zone said:

This project has achieved the rarest of things, i.e., a consensus among RBS commenters. They all hate it. (FWIW, they have a point.)

Even Bruce is publicly criticizing this project, and he RARELY if ever does that. It's very telling just how schlocky of a development this is if Bruce weighs in and is critical.

I can't even fathom what the esteemed Dr. Slipek would say about it.

• Like 2

Chesterfield will be investing about $5 million for improvements to six softball fields at Daniel Park in an effort to bolster the county's draw for sports tourism. Obviously residents will have use the the ball fields as well - but this is part of a concerted effort to expand the county's offerings as a center for sports tourism, which has been on the upswing n the county in recent years.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/10/20/5m-softball-field-upgrade-to-fuel-further-sports-tourism-in-chesterfield/

daniel-park-improvements-chesterfield-2048x1266.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Obviously residents will have use the the ball fields as well - but this is part of a concerted effort to expand the county's offerings as a center for sports tourism, which has been on the upswing n the county in recent years.

I'm dubious about the net effect of all the sports tourism claims, especially the ball fields mentioned in this article. I'll admit that I'm viewing this through the prism of travel baseball, which is likely an incomplete picture, but within that picture it seems like the economic impact comes from the tournament fees and not hotel bookings. Prime local fields like Mechanicsville LL, Atlee LL, and Tuckahoe LL make bank from their split of the tournament fees, but at least 80% of the programs that participate are local. If it's a multi-day tournament, maybe the teams from NoVA, Hampton Roads, or the oddball teams from the Annapolis area (yes, some come here) will book hotel rooms. But 2/3 of the tournaments are one-day affairs. So, this particular project seems like more of an effort to displace business from Mechanicsville, Atlee, and Tuckahoe. Travel softball is a big deal as well, and a softball field also can be used for youth baseball with a portable mound. It would be fine to have a good field option in Chesterfield (where none of the available fields are partcularly nice), but this doesn't seem like a sports tourism effort as much as a let's draw away local business effort.   But again, my knowledge is imperfect.

• Like 1

Good points all the way around. You mention Tuckahoe - and we all know that Tuckahoe Little League is a time-honored Richmond institution that I think has been around from as far back as when William Byrd founded Richmond. Probably the most well-known little league organization (particularly from a historical perspective) in metro Richmond.

Yeah - I don't know how all this sports tourism will work in/around RVA. It's not my bailiwick. But what you wrote makes a lot of sense from a layman's perspective.

• Like 1

Think about the other sports though. Jefferson cup for youth soccer is gigantic, one of the largest in the country.  They host over 1600 teams from all over the country.

https://jeffersoncup.strikerstournaments.com/jeff-cup-fast-facts

it generates over $30 million in annual impact and over 50,000 room nights per year. 

Edited by wrldcoupe4
  • Like 3

Feed More has broken ground on their new headquarters building on Villa Park Drive.  According to Jonathan Spiers' reporting in today's RBS, the organization's new $40 million headquarters and distribution warehouse will have 124K sq ft - about 40% more space than in their current digs on Rhoadmiller Street east of the Diamond District.

Check out this nugget in Jonathan's reporting, including a quite from Feed More CEO Doug Pick regarding the Rhoadmiller Street properties:

The food bank also has listed its Rhoadmiller properties for sale. Pick told BizSense that the listing “is still being actively marketed and there are several seriously interested parties.

THAT, my friends, opens up a world of possibilities. Would love to see what could be developed there, particularly given the proximity to the Diamond District (if and when that EVER gets underway).

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/10/26/feed-more-breaks-ground-on-new-40m-hq-near-st-josephs-villa/

Feed-More-Exterior-Rendering.jpg

FeedMore4.jpg

FeedMoreListing1.jpg

Screenshot (3307).png

Screenshot (3308).png

• Like 3

23 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Chesterfield board of supervisors approved the proposed land-use plan for the Iron Bridge Road/Chippenham Parkway interchange area. According to Jack Jacobs' reporting in today's RBS, the Ridgedale Special Focus Area plan will guide development in the roughly 580 acre area over the next 20-to-30 years. The plan does not change zoning - and all developments will be required to go through the usual county procedures for approval. The area could very well see an uptick in residential density along with mixed-use and commercial development.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/10/26/chesterfield-approves-land-use-plan-for-area-around-chippenham-and-iron-bridge-interchange/

Here is the actual Ridgedale SAP document:

https://civicclerk.blob.core.windows.net/stream/CHESTERFIELDCOVA/7a523963-3698-4100-aa0e-94237303d180.pdf?sv=2022-11-02&st=2023-10-25T16%3A18%3A18Z&se=2024-10-25T16%3A23%3A18Z&sr=b&sp=r&sig=g7RwLBSTC9Z3A7GbZwDNFk4%2FDx1AoOg7gp3BACt4fq8%3D

ridgedale-sfa-map-scaled.jpg

ridgedale-concept-plan-2.png

ridgedale-concept-plan-1.png

First area I lived when I moved to Richmond.

• Like 1

The planned Sheetz development across from Staples Mill Road Amtrak station is been expanded to included 14 townhomes. The county planning commission will take up the matter at its November 9th meeting.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/10/31/townhomes-added-to-sheetz-anchored-commercial-project-across-from-staples-mill-train-station/

RebkeeStaplesMillNewLayout.jpg

RebkeeStaplesMillTHs-700x530.jpg

Screenshot (3326).png

Screenshot (3327).png

• Like 3

The Hanover Board of Supervisors has given the green light to a business park to be built on Pole Green Road north of Mechanicsville. According to Jack Jacobs' reporting in today's RBS, the $25M-to-$30M, 217K sq ft complex will be called Pole Green Business Center and will rise just east of the intersection of Pole Green and Bell Creek roads, across from the Hanover Grove subdivision and will be comprised of 14 one-story buildings, three of which (totaling 73K sq ft) will be be medical office buildings.

Construction is slated to start in late 2024.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/11/01/new-business-park-planned-for-pole-green-road-in-hanover/

pole-green-road-business-park-1.png

Screenshot (3335).png

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Here is a video of drone-view footage of construction taking place at The Lake in Chesterfield along 288 (as of 3 Aug 23), but has anyone seen any actual structures being built there of late?

Drove by the other day and it still seems they are doing site work. 

My guess is this site will have quite a bit of site work with all the grading they have to do to create the lake itself so I wouldn’t think buildings would be going up until spring 2024. I’ll see if I can get find an update on it though.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Shakman said:

I hope those parking lots will be sites for future development; NOT PERMANENT SURFACE PARKING!

AMEN!! From your keyboard to God's eyes, my dear friend.

That sea of parking lots needs to be filled up with buildings with integrated parking, particularly since it looks like the plan already accounts for the street infrastructure to be in place.

27 minutes ago, blake_p said:

Nest Phase of Libbie Mill announced.  Wrighthaven Square Apartments

One of the quirks of Libbie Mill is the choice of nonsense names. Unless I'm missing some significance to this one....

At any rate, they're going to have to signalize Libbie and Bethlehem at some point. Taking a left from Libbie onto Bethlehem from 5 pm-7 pm is a war of attrition.

11 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

That sea of parking lots needs to be filled up with buildings with integrated parking, particularly since it looks like the plan already accounts for the street infrastructure to be in place.

I cannot reveal my sources, but yes, this is the eventual plan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2