Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

8 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

One of the quirks of Libbie Mill is the choice of nonsense names. Unless I'm missing some significance to this one....

At any rate, they're going to have to signalize Libbie and Bethlehem at some point. Taking a left from Libbie onto Bethlehem from 5 pm-7 pm is a war of attrition.

I cannot reveal my sources, but yes, this is the eventual plan.

Nonsense names: Yeah - how true!! :tw_joy:

Bethlehem Road: What's the infrastructure situation on Bethlehem these days? Are there any sidewalks or anything other than either curbs or drainage ditches/culverts? (At least that's the Bethlehem Road I remember from 23-plus years ago when I used to sling newspapers as a second job for some extra income in addition to my regular 9-to-5 gig.)

Eventual plan: YESSSSSSSSSS!!! Again, from your keyboard to God's eyes, my friend! Glad to hear that they're going in that direction. :tw_thumbsup:

Edited by I miss RVA

11 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Bethlehem Road: What's the infrastructure situation on Bethlehem these days? Are there any sidewalks or anything other than either curbs or drainage ditches/culverts? (At least that's the Bethlehem Road I remember from 23-plus years ago when I used to sling newspapers as a second job for some extra income in addition to my regular 9-to-5 gig.)

Sort of.  The stretch of Bethlehem between Libbie and Staples Mill has been improved, but only the side abutting Libbie Mill (the south side). The rest of Bethlehem is as you would remember. It is frequently used as a cut-through road, at pretty high speeds, and that always makes me nervous because kids not infrequently walk or ride bikes on the stretch between Libbie and Dickens, right up to the Johnson Elementary area and the church, where Bethlehem Little League is located. 

• Like 1

The Mechanicsville area -- especially east of I-295 - is popping with proposed new development. RBS is reporting today that the county Board of Supervisors will next week consider a planned 55-plus residential development by Larry Shaia next to his Cambridge Square Apartment complex on Mechanicsville Turnpike. The county planning commission unanimously approved the 97-unit apartment project, which would be the first of it's kind (for 55-plus) in Hanover. Shaia says he's hoping to secure financing for the project by next summer with construction to kick off in the next 12 to 18 months.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/11/02/developer-hopes-third-time-is-the-charm-for-55-and-up-apartments-in-hanover/ 

Summerlyn-1.jpg

Summerlyn-2.jpeg

View-8.jpg

Summerlyn-3-700x499.jpg

Screenshot (3346).png

Screenshot (3347).png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Virginia Department of Health has given Bon Secours the leg-up over HCA in the push to build an emergency center in Hanover County, just southeast of Ashland. According to Jack Jacobs' reporting in today's RBS, VDH Commissioner Karen Shelton issued the approval of the Bon Secours facility at the same time she issued a second rejection of the HCA proposal. This new denial followed her recent denial of HCA's proposal to build a full-scale hospital on Sliding Hill Road. At this point, HCA has had no comment regarding a possible appeal via the courts.

Bon Secours is planning to begin construction in Q2 next year with an eye toward opening the facility by the end of 2025.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/11/10/state-health-department-approves-bon-secours-er-proposal-in-hanover-rejects-similar-hca-project/

Screenshot (3386).png

• Confused 1

On 11/13/2023 at 10:55 AM, Shakman said:

I think the full service hospital would have been best for this area.

Or we could stop letting them strip city hospitals when the city is rebounding.  It is frustrating that, since Richmond started gaining population again, we have lost two hospitals (Metropolitan and Stuart Circle) and HCA has nearly gutted Retreat, never-mind having lost Johnston-Willis shortly prior.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Or we could stop letting them strip city hospitals when the city is rebounding.  It is frustrating that, since Richmond started gaining population again, we have lost two hospitals (Metropolitan and Stuart Circle) and HCA has nearly gutted Retreat, never-mind having lost Johnston-Willis shortly prior.

Was Johnston-Willis originally on Kensington Avenue in the Museum District? What was the hospital on Kensington (from several decades ago)? That building is now (I think a 55-plus) residential building.

6 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Was Johnston-Willis originally on Kensington Avenue in the Museum District? What was the hospital on Kensington (from several decades ago)? That building is now (I think a 55-plus) residential building.

Yes.  It's called Kensington Court.  One of the best places I have ever lived.

Edited by Shakman
  • Thanks 2

@RVABizSenseMikehas a good story in today's RBS about the Richmond Electricians Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee's trade school relocating a bit closer to the city - moving from Hanover County to the 7900 block of Midlothian Turnpike. The school has been in their 11k sq ft building in Hanover to the current 23k sq ft home of Centura College. JATC plans renovations after the college vacates the building at the end of this year, and hopes to move in by August of 2024.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/11/14/electricians-trade-school-sparks-move-to-midlothian-with-2m-deal/

Screenshot (3393).png

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 10:56 AM, I miss RVA said:

The Mechanicsville area -- especially east of I-295 - is popping with proposed new development. RBS is reporting today that the county Board of Supervisors will next week consider a planned 55-plus residential development by Larry Shaia next to his Cambridge Square Apartment complex on Mechanicsville Turnpike. The county planning commission unanimously approved the 97-unit apartment project, which would be the first of it's kind (for 55-plus) in Hanover. Shaia says he's hoping to secure financing for the project by next summer with construction to kick off in the next 12 to 18 months.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/11/02/developer-hopes-third-time-is-the-charm-for-55-and-up-apartments-in-hanover/ 

Summerlyn-1.jpg

Summerlyn-2.jpeg

View-8.jpg

Summerlyn-3-700x499.jpg

Screenshot (3346).png

Screenshot (3347).png

UPDATE on the Larry Shaia 55+ residential project planned for near Mechanicsville:

In a quite surprising and IMNSHO very shortsighted move, the Hanover County BOS -- on a split 4-3 vote - has rejected Shaia's proposed 97-unit development off of Mechanicsville Turnpike just past I-295, despite the project having received UNANIMOUS approval from the county's planning commission.

The "nay" votes were based on calculations of units per acre - with the county now claiming that the project brings "too much density" to that part of the county. I don't know the ins and outs of it - but apparently using "gross" acreage, the project fit within the county's 15-unit density limit. However, the county apparently changed wording in the zoning codes in their revised comprehensive plan in late September - well AFTER this project was in the works - requiring the calculation to be based on "net" acreage, in this case resulting in a net of 18 units per acre. Essentially the county is requiring Shaia to shave off an additional 16 units - to go from 97 to 81 - before they'll play ball - and this after the project was nearly halved from an original plan of 144 units - again upon rejection by the county - earlier this year.

This all seems VERY ticky-tack to me and borders, quite literally, on the absurd.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/11/20/divided-hanover-board-rejects-55-and-up-apartment-project/

A Reston-based homebuilder has completed purchase of land needed to replace the Rockwood Square shopping center with a residential development that -- conceptually - looks to bring a nice patch of density at Hull Street and Courthouse Road. Stanley Martin Homes is looking to build a 322-unit development that would consist of 236 two-over-two condos and 86 townhomes. The developer had previously purchased Rockwood Golf Park and has already begun clearing the site. Demolition of the shopping center is expected to begin in January or February.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/11/21/8m-deal-gives-homebuilder-control-of-chesterfield-shopping-center-for-redevelopment/

Rockwood-planning2 (1).png

rockwood-golf-scaled.jpg

• Like 3

VDOT is moving ahead with a short extension of Fairground Road that is anticipated will boost economic development in central Goochland County. The project is expected to go out to bid in 2026 with construction starting in 2027, completion in 2028. While this part of the county is not like the northeastern portion that is getting lots of spillover from western Henrico, there are some larger-lot subdivisions nearby, commercial activity along U.S. 522 (as well as the county circuit court), Reynolds Community College (to the east) and Goochland High School (to the west) nearby. I didn't realize that 522 was such a "hub" of activity in central Goochland. It'll be interesting to see how this part of the county develops going forward.

Interesting note: for fun, I did an "as the crow flies" measurement in Google maps - and this part of the county is only about 38.5 miles (as the crow flies) from Charlottesville - which is only six or so miles farther than (as the crow flies) the distance to the front door of RIC airport (approx 32.5 miles). Pretty interesting when you stop and think about it.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/11/24/road-extension-project-looks-to-spur-economic-development-near-goochland-high-school/

fairground-road-extension-1.png

fairground-road-extension-2.png

Screenshot (3439).png

Edited by I miss RVA

Crescent is planning a 553-unit, age-restricted residential development in western Chesterfield, south of the Magnolia Green area. According to @RVABizSenseMike's reporting in today's RBS, Crescent is looking to build 328 townhomes and 255 apartments just south and west of Magnolia Green Golf Club at 18200 and 18400 Hull Street Road. This is east of the proposed corridor of the Powhite Parkway extension and south of the huge Magnolia Green site that is slated for major development with an eye toward landing a "big fish" company such as a major chip manufacturer, etc). Four commercial buildings would front Hull Street Road. The project is to be reviewed by the county Planning Commission and would need Board of Supervisors approval to proceed. 

Is it just me or does it just feel like the Powhite extension just can't come to pass fast enough? The lack of the expressway just feels like such a huge speedbump for major development in this part of the county.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/11/27/550-unit-age-restricted-development-planned-in-western-chesterfield/

hull-street-cornerstone-concept-plan-1-500x700.png

Screenshot (3448).png

Screenshot (3449).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, eandslee said:

...the Powhite Extension cannot be built fast enough.  It’s what’s preventing said “Big Fish” from making any move there. 

Yep - it sure is. And meanwhile - while the "wheels on the expressway development bus go round and round ... slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly ... how many "Big Fish" are bypassing RVA for our chief competitors?

We've been behind the 8-ball on this one for a couple of decades now - especially since considering that the route of the expressway has been on the books - and from all indications, either largely unchanged or completely unchanged - since 1989.

If this were the RDU-CH metro, this damn expressway would have been built 20 or 25 years ago and now there'd be something akin to a full-blown satellite city having sprouted up already in Magnolia Green. And meanwhile - for the past 30 years, we can't get the car INTO gear, much out out of first gear.

What's it gonna take, folks? I'm with you, @eandslee-- my frustration level with the slow grist of the progress wheel here (relative to our competitors) goes through the roof at times. image.png.a2f802f411604fae0860a331dc10b9e5.png

Do people in Chesterfield even want this extension? Reader comments suggest otherwise. 
 Chesterfield has a crap ton of land already available near existing interstates/ expressway.  There’s still a ton of existing land available along the Powhite. 

The extension is a nonissue.  You think the extension is going make a satellite city magically appear?   Tell that to Green City.   All the roads in the world won’t generate demand where there is none.  This part of Chesterfield will remain residential for as long as any of us are living.  And are you sitting down?  NC cities also have huge tracts of land that aren’t being developed.  

There is no satellite city esque development proposed anywhere in this area. The closest thing to a city in that part of the county would be westchester commons, which is a suburban shopping center with some apartments and townhouses. 

As someone who has family living in this area and grew up in this area, there is more support for the expressway to be extended to woolridge road in Rountrey and have it terminate there as opposed to having it go all the way to Hull Street. That area of the county, as is common with most suburban localities, is very anti development and all I hear from family and friends in that area is how much they hate the woods being cleared.

I’d much rather see the $700 million the county and state would spend on extending the powhite to Hull redirected to adding bihourly regional rail on the old Richmond and Danville railroad line to Midlo, then adding high quality BRT down Hull and Midlo Turnpike and implementing GRTC service across the county. Most of which could probably be accomplished for around the same price as building the powhite extension and have a much bigger impact on growth in Chesterfield.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Do people in Chesterfield even want this extension? Reader comments suggest otherwise. 

Generally speaking, no. At least the bulk of the people in that area of Chesterfield. Bumper stickers and yard signs speak.

13 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

As someone who has family living in this area and grew up in this area, there is more support for the expressway to be extended to woolridge road in Rountrey and have it terminate there as opposed to having it go all the way to Hull Street. That area of the county, as is common with most suburban localities, is very anti development and all I hear from family and friends in that area is how much they hate the woods being cleared.

I swear some of these people have affixed "No Powhite Extension" bumper stickers right over their "Go West, 288!" bumper stickers from 35 years ago (they've just happened to move west).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

I’d much rather see the $700 million the county and state would spend on extending the powhite to Hull redirected to adding bihourly regional rail on the old Richmond and Danville railroad line to Midlo, then adding high quality BRT down Hull and Midlo Turnpike and implementing GRTC service across the county. Most of which could probably be accomplished for around the same price as building the powhite extension and have a much bigger impact on growth in Chesterfield.

Holy moly - I would SO LOVE to see this. I have a feeling, however, that car-centric metro RVA will break the bank to build highways 'til "Doomsday" before spending one thin dime on rail and good quality public/rapid transit. And the ULTRA frustrating part is that the very same folks who will say "we don't want it" (meaning the highways) will ALSO say "we don't need it" to the rail/public/rapid transit build-out. I wish I could remember who specifically in our community here coined this term to give proper credit - but this combo of "we don't want it" for one and "we don't need it" for the other is the prototypical mentality of "BANANAs" - "Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything." image.png.a0ebe8fe3e5dc51b8290c8ad73683bfc.png

Your suggestion, @blopp1234would absolutely be the smart way to go.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

I don't think we've had anything on this particular project just yet.

Jonathan Spiers is reporting in today's RBS that Better Housing Coalition has broken ground on a new 49-unit income based apartment project on Genito Road, just a block or so south of Hull Street Road.  The Horner Run Apartments will be in an "L" - shaped, three-story building. The project cost is $17M with an anticipated completion by the end of 2024.

Good to see these developments starting to gain traction all over the metro area.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/11/29/better-housing-coalition-breaks-ground-on-17m-apartment-project-in-chesterfield/

RS321_HornerGenito_F01_V03_BRIDGE.jpg

Horner-Run-Apts-3-700x351.jpg

Screenshot (3474).png

• Like 2

An announcement that might fly under most of our radar screens but is a big deal IMNSHO. Shenandoah-Valley-based Kline's Dairy Bar is expanding into metro Richmond with a planned new-construction ice cream shop in the Cosby Village Square development in western Chesterfield. The shop at 15589 Cosby Road - just east of the Magnolia Green Golf Club - will be Kline's first outside of western Virginia. Founded in Harrisonburg in 1943, Kline's has six locations in the Shenandoah Valley and in Lynchburg.

Cosby Village Square - which is currently under construction - is part of the larger Cosby Village development which is slated to bring 775 multi-family residential units.

As I've said many times before, stories like these are a big deal because ANY time an out-of-town (or out-of-state) business comes to metro RVA and decides to plant a flag here, it's a BIG WIN for Richmond. Glad to see Kline's coming to the Richmond area.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/11/30/out-of-town-ice-cream-shop-scoops-up-land-for-first-richmond-area-outpost/

klines-shop-rendering.jpg

cosby-village-site-plan.png

Screenshot (3481).png

• Like 3